- - - - -

My Atlas Builds

10 replies to this topic

#1 boss642296niicc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:55 AM

Now I have no money to try these builds and I need advice on which one is better

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5371eb3ef4ed1eb

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...363d35506fc69e2

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4ff6593ed38751f

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

Out of the 3 I'd go with the second one.

I would modify those builds though. Atlas is best as a Brawler, most people run that variant something similar to this.

The 4 missile hardpoints are what make this one special. You could drop a launcher and some armmo for another set of medium lasers and some heatsinks, that build fits on nearly every atlas.

If you really wanted to run a ranged build you could put some ER large and a gauss on there but other assault mechs are much better for the range game.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 December 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#3 boss642296niicc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 December 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

Out of the 3 I'd go with the second one.

I would modify those builds though. Atlas is best as a Brawler, most people run that variant something similar to this.

The 4 missile hardpoints are what make this one special. You could drop a launcher and some armmo for another set of medium lasers and some heatsinks, that build fits on nearly every atlas.

If you really wanted to run a ranged build you could put some ER large and a gauss on there but other assault mechs are much better for the range game.
i dont like to have only short range weapons, i prefer brawling but i wont to be able to deal some damage at range

#4 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

View Postboss642296niicc, on 10 December 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

i dont like to have only short range weapons, i prefer brawling but i wont to be able to deal some damage at range

True, but the strongest builds for this mech all revolve around an AC20 and SRM's.

Maybe something like this? AS7-S
Most people prefer to not run an Atlas with an engine smaller than 350.

This one would give you a bit more range to work with I suppose but downgrading that AC20 is never fun. AS7-S

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 December 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#5 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

View Postboss642296niicc, on 10 December 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

The problem with lrms on an Atlas is that so many players don't know how to use them to deal the most damage. If you only want to be able to damage the enemy while closing the distance, then lrms are fine. If on the other hand, you plan on stopping while firing lrms, or please NOOOOOO!, backing up while firing your lrms, then don't mount them on an assault.

The trick to driving an Atlas is using terrain for cover and closing the distance. Also, the weapon range modules can help a little, but they're really pricey.

#6 boss642296niicc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

View Postmailin, on 10 December 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

The problem with lrms on an Atlas is that so many players don't know how to use them to deal the most damage. If you only want to be able to damage the enemy while closing the distance, then lrms are fine. If on the other hand, you plan on stopping while firing lrms, or please NOOOOOO!, backing up while firing your lrms, then don't mount them on an assault.

The trick to driving an Atlas is using terrain for cover and closing the distance. Also, the weapon range modules can help a little, but they're really pricey.

Lrms only for early-mid game when i cant brawling safety. Thats why i put only 2.5-3 tonns of ammo

#7 boss642296niicc

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 December 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

True, but the strongest builds for this mech all revolve around an AC20 and SRM's.

Maybe something like this? AS7-S
Most people prefer to not run an Atlas with an engine smaller than 350.

This one would give you a bit more range to work with I suppose but downgrading that AC20 is never fun. AS7-S

Thx for advice. Probably i will run this one http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dea6a6d69cf13be

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Critique on each:
First build, you will spend most of the match shut down if you engaged in any combat with even a 3 button setup.

Second seems decent, but that is really hot.

Third.. is really hot as well.

Your overall issue isn't actually the weapons.. It is the heat.
Try for a minimum of 30% efficiency.

I personally -- in my brawling builds -- run 42% efficiency minimum and ideally 52%.
The results of combat can be seen in this video.
For Atlas use: This video. As well as this one.
For a 52% efficient Atlas, equipped with 2 large lasers and 2 ER large lasers, using standard heatsinks, in Terra Therma... firing almost non-stop and butchering multiple enemies in the process check this out. Just ignore the rant about the game's heat system because PGI will never do anything about it.

Edited by Koniving, 10 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#9 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

You are using some niche engines. I would stick to common/surplus 320, 325, or 340 STDs until you get a feel for the chassis. In any case never use the stock 300 STD as it is too slow.

Vanilla SRM6 are junk. They necessitate artemis to be worth it and by that point you have committed quite a lot of mass to the build that you are limited in your options. For that reason I prefer triple ASRM6 on the DDC.

My recommendations are:

AC-20 with quad SRM4 and LLAS/ER LLAS
AC-20 with 4x mlas and 4x LRM5
AC-20 with 2x SRM4, 2-4 mlas + LRM10 + LRM15

The Atlas-S can also get by with fewer AC-20 rounds than normal as it works with SRMs for a higher total alpha more frequently than other variants. That freed mass can be spent elsewhere.

Edited by Spheroid, 10 December 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#10 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

You have the some good ideas with your builds, unfortunately you have also fallen into some common misconceptions. Like building a mech for all ranges, this results in a mech that performs poorly at all ranges. Also, all of your builds will run to hot, which is another common pitfall.

Because of its design an atlas makes a poor choice for fighting at range, I suggest focusing on close range builds.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eec966e0cc92cbf

#11 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

View Postboss642296niicc, on 10 December 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

Thx for advice. Probably i will run this one http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dea6a6d69cf13be

The ER Large will be hard to work with your other weapons.

Maybe put some pulse on there? AS7-S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users