Suggestions For A I.s. 'striker'

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ritual Hammer

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

So, I have a Raven-3L and I use it like ought. I like the play style and tactics I have to use to survive, do well and ultimately... win. I'm thinking about getting a medium mech to master next but I'd like to use it more like a 'striker' light than a brawler or sniper. Here's what's important to me for this build.

Good speed but not crazy fast.

Strong alpha strike, powerful burst, not so much high DPS.

Heat is not a issue as there should be a moment between each volley.

Preferable close to medium range, long range can work.

Planning on getting radar derivation so ECM is not a must.

Can be effective vs. lights despite focusing mediums and up. (You might think that means no ballistics but I would consider the AC2s not effective vs. lights but oddly enough the AC20 is a hard win.)

If this is doable in any sort of effective way, I'd like to know which medium I.S. mech does it best. It's okay if this get weird.

#2 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

Striker medium mech?

Griffin, with the all SRM build it can be nasty, second choice it the Shadowhawk.

#3 Ritual Hammer

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

View PostPocketAces, on 13 December 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Striker medium mech?

Griffin, with the all SRM build it can be nasty, second choice it the Shadowhawk.

I figured those two would come up. I really like the Shadowhawk's HP placements. I know there is quite a bit of versatility in the Shadowhawks variants but what about the Griffin? It pretty much runs SRMs all day, everyday? Not that I dislike SRMs. Is one of these options tougher than the other one?

#4 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

What you are describing here is the BJ-1X. It has lost its structure quirks and is one of the losers of rescale, but it's still a very good mech as all other blackjacks.

BJ-1X

It doesn't have jumpjets but otherwise it's pretty much perfect, high engine cap, high weapon hardpoints and all energy so you have enough tonnage for IS mech. If you want more speed but less firepower I recommend picking cicada, for more durability but less firepower take a look at the crab.

Griffins and shadowhawks are more brawlers because when you take SRMs you won't have enough tonnage for big engine and nowadays they are quite huge so staying and brawling with them is better than striking and fading away.

Edited by Trollfeed, 18 December 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#5 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

The Sparky has been my go to up until more recently. 2N is still considered one of the best, wait till they are close and hit them with 4X SRM 4s.

The Shadow Hawk has comeback a little in popularity. While it still gets a 'eh' from the Meta community, it has decent hard points and jump jets.

I have actually had a good run with the Centurion NCIX, small stature makes it a small enough target for a medium (thank you re-scale) and it's light enough you don't need a huge engine for decent speed.

Also, the Crab is a trail mech. Give it a try.

#6 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:34 PM

If only Griffins and Shadowhawks weren't so tall and stiff.

The Wolverines were always tough, but lose the arm and you are often neutered.

I'm very fond of the 50 tonners: Hunchies, Cents and Trebs - haven't really bonded with the ENF line, except for that crazy 5P - wish the 4P could fit a pair of JJ's.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 18 December 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#7 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

When you say IS punsh and fade mechs there are only two chassis...maybe three able to do that and only SRMs or serious laser voit able to do that effectively.

Like the others said the first Griffin as prime choice SRM brawler for high missile hardpoints on both shoulders and enough hardpoints to matter.
Second the Shadowhawk for a mix of AC and SRMs. Or you go SHD-2K for 3large shoulder lasers.
Mechs like KTO or Treb got not enough or too low hardpoints in combination with beeing too big.

The ...maybe...third chassis would be the good old Centurion.
A Cent A or AH can pack a combination of either ballistic and SRM or SRM and lasers and the 9D can pack a larger engine and extreme fast firing LBX in combo with 2 ASRM6 or some lasers.

#8 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

CDA-2B would do i think, fits many of your requirements.

I also second the BJ-1X suggestion as long as your aware that the variant does have some limitations. The Phoenix Hawks may also be worth looking into and Crabs are also good, but do tend to be more tanky then hurty if you throw in a big engine, but they get to reposition and ambush well with their lower stance.

Depending on how fast you would like to go, the 55 ton mediums might not work for you. The higher engines are heavy and availible tonnage for weaponry will be a little lackluster, in some cases. Griffins are probably best here, shadowhawks and wolverines often have heavy ballistics and ammunition to worry about. Kintaro's are kinda meh but they may work out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users