• Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

I saw someone say this earlier:

View PostAnTi90d, on 15 December 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Discord is gross.

One of the six IS house TS owners should convert their TS over to an all IS TS server. That would really help.

Is this actually something people want? I feel like most factions are pretty comfortable in their TS's, and that a significant amount of work went to setting up those TS's, so abandoning them wouldn't be done easily or happily.

For instance, while I would joyfully convert the FRR hub into an IS Faction Hub, would anyone really come? Or would that just be presumptuous and people would roll their eyes and keep doing what they're doing?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Well one TS is better than hopping a dozen TS's (that I do on a regular basis)...

Look at mechconnect - plenty use that for example, makes life easy to find people at times.

#3 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

As someone who regularly used the FRR hub when we were on contract, I have no reservations in using other TS's and actually encourage my IDI pilots to seek out groups on the respective TS hubs. With the ability for any IS player to group together simply advertising which TS server you are using to group up in the Faction chat would serve to get players in and communicating. The FRR and Davion servers may be the best suited as these seem to have been the most open and widely used historically.

In short, if you go to the effort to set it up that way I will encourage my guys to use it.

#4 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

My unit uses Discord, but we jump into whichever TS Server we are allied with. With FW becoming populated again, we will probably be using the FRR Hub when in contract with IS.

Cheers!

#5 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

I've had this thought, though I'm concerned there may be too either too few admins to manage the masses or too many hands in the cookie jar.

Granted, I'm fortunate to have dropped with tons of you guys that are seasoned FP vets and I'm excited that we can join forces, regardless of faction, so I might be a bit biased here...

#6 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Discord is superior.

#7 Redtear

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

Honestly I think Davion TS is the most populated out of the Inter Sphere. It also happens to be the home of HHoD who is the one unit who offers any pilots (even Claners) lessons in various piloting techniques. It also has always been a good traditional spot to get a group gowing.

Discord is a wonderful program. (At the moment, while it is all fresh and new, just like all voice programs where when they were fresh and new.)
This community already has an entire TS network set up with good TS servers there is no reason to attempt to move an already functional system for this player base to a new one.

#8 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostKarl Marlow, on 15 December 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Discord is superior.

Well, there are people who don't want to use Discord.

#9 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 15 December 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I saw someone say this earlier:

Is this actually something people want? I feel like most factions are pretty comfortable in their TS's, and that a significant amount of work went to setting up those TS's, so abandoning them wouldn't be done easily or happily.

For instance, while I would joyfully convert the FRR hub into an IS Faction Hub, would anyone really come? Or would that just be presumptuous and people would roll their eyes and keep doing what they're doing?

I have to say...the FRR TS was awesome when the 9th went faction hopping for mechbays for a bit. You guys had a bunch of solid players and competent drop callers.

#10 Moosegun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:57 AM

I think that a unified IS TS is vital but I also understand there could be some tricky politics involved. I often have 6 TS open every night, my unit, IDI and four IS factions. The faction IS channels do not seem fit for purpose anyone, they all have 100+ channels the majority of which are empty. The players on there are spread between a few of these channels when really we need to be combining and focusing our forces.

Most importantly it would give one address which could be given out to new players and if they go there they will more than likely easily find people who will help them. This could be a great opportunity to bring the IS factions together to try and fight back.

#11 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:46 AM

So you set up another TS and suddenly all the IS puglets will use it? I have a dream lol

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:22 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 16 December 2016 - 03:46 AM, said:

So you set up another TS and suddenly all the IS puglets will use it? I have a dream lol

Go cut weight on you clan drop decks, the are 10 tons overweight. ;)

#13 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

Setting up a new TS is not realy an advantage for me.
All need the new info.
The only possibility i can Imagine is, if we can merge the TS Hubs and no matter which TS u choose u land in the same new is TS. But this would require 1. the technical possibility 2. the will of the Admins. 3. clean up on channels!!

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 16 December 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#14 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 15 December 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostKarl Marlow, on 15 December 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Discord is superior.

Well, there are people who don't want to use Discord.

Posted Image

#15 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:10 AM

i would be so down with mech the danes idea. kurita coming over gave a boost in groups going, and theres no reason to be divided anymore, so maybe the frr/kurita hub could be the main one, but in the off chance pgi does end up doing is v is events, were gonna wish we had the different faction servers.

maybe we could just tell people to go to the frr/kurita server most of the times, and its the default ts for IS, and focus our population there, then disperse to the different faction hubs whichll still be around for the same tech conflicts. when those end, re-congregate in frr/kurita hub to face the clans as a unified group.

#16 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 16 December 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

Go cut weight on you clan drop decks, the are 10 tons overweight. Posted Image

Clan dropdeck?

#17 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:59 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 18 December 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

Clan dropdeck?

oops sorry, I meant that for your alt acct ;)

#18 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:12 AM

^ Lol.

I do like Discord and it's great but I personally think Teamspeak is superior for a game like MWO purely because of all of the administrative options that Teamspeak provides. A dedicated IS TS server is a great idea. Even if people just used it to find players to fill groups it would help new IS players. There would always be one place that they could rely to go to and wait for someone to hopefully pull them into a group.

Edited by Unendingmenace, 18 December 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#19 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:12 AM

Discord is a commuity tool where TS / Ventrillo etc: are ususally better at what they set out to do. I know there's a noticible lag in voice between TS / Vent and Discord where discord hits about a half second later than the other two. Yeah it takes less bandwidth but the performance suffers slightly as well.

It's a good program to use for community stuff, its just not the best for replacing the already established TS / Vent / etc: when it comes to in game communication across artificial barriers or just to organize comm's. (really wish it was but wish in one hand...)

That said even though it wont affect me much in the near future having dedicated TS for IS and Clan /w divisions therein would be something worth having depending on how many people use it and how expensive it is for the owner to maintain. I'm not as knowledgeable on the costs of these things.

#20 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostMaker L106, on 18 December 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

That said even though it wont affect me much in the near future having dedicated TS for IS and Clan /w divisions therein would be something worth having depending on how many people use it and how expensive it is for the owner to maintain. I'm not as knowledgeable on the costs of these things.

Considering how required they are to play the game, pgi should sponser them, and pgi should be helping herd the pugs in there from ingame too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users