BattleMaster

57 replies to this topic

#41 Knight2pwn

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Project Phoenix. That resulted in a licensing deal between Catalyst Game Labs and the copyright holders. GREAT. Explain how that then means any company doing anything BattleTech related automatically gains the same agreement for free and in perpetuity?

Plus the 'reworked mechs are not worth it. They look to different and most are ugly imo.

#42 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

Wrong again.
The Project Phoenix mechs are lot liscensed from anyone. They are in house redesigns that are part of the BT IP proper and fully legal to use.

You dont like them? Then you get nothing. Simple as that.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 20 July 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Jenner you say? SIX medium lasers, a SRM 6 and a couple of MGs to boot along with a 85 Ton kick or punch (two if you don't fire the PPC)...

The Battlemaster will stomp a mudhole in a Awesome, Zeus, and a Stalker. A Victor? To mobile with the jumpjets and a AC 20 to the back in close range...but the Victor has /nothing/ at range either. As for a Warhammer or Archer... Hammer doesn't have the armor to exchange fire and the Archer is done once it gets inside LRM range.

Average? In the hands of a poor player perhaps, but it is a feared mech on the table to those in the know.
The OP is missing the place of the Battlemaster. The Battlemaster was an Assault Brawler.It closed under the PPCs from an Awesome, and with 6 Medium lasers, SRM6, MGs, tore up what the Awesome left alive. It was (is) the premier ride of Both Hans Davion and Takashi Kurita.

i would prefer to pilot a Battlemaster-1G But I am a fan of the Phoenix design also.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 09 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#44 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Posthawk819, on 19 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

To say this, is to say that Hanse Davion is really married to a Mongoose instead of Archon-designate Melissa Steiner-Davion.

You mean she isn't a mongoose? :P

#45 GrimDeath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

#46 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Battlemaster bleh (kidding its a pretty awesome mech). gimmi Mauler!! :P

#47 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Maybe Piranha can buy the rights to the "Macross / Robotech" mechs and sell them as "premium mechs" for like $25 each to make the money back on licensing (if this is possible).

#48 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

this entire thread:

c-

#49 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

A work of fiction would've been written in the style of an article set in 3049 ( at least I thought that's what you were going for )
This started out with a fictional headline, and then went into you ranting about the Battlemaster in gameplay... so...
And, I know, I'm a little late to the party...:)

#50 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

the battlemaster was primarily a command mech it had a dual seat cockpit so the commander could sit in back and command the company, battalion, or regiment while the pilot could keep the enemy at bay with the PPC making them think twice about getting close cuz once in medium range being hit by a PPC 4-6 medium laser (depending on how they had them set up) and an SRM-6 and the Battlemaster could stay pretty cool and still have really good fire power so it wasnt ment to go toe to toe with straight up assault mechs it was ment to be used in a command lance with said straight up assault mechs while the CO sat in the front or back one of the 2...

oh yeah i love the Battlemaster it is one of my fave mechs i had a refit that would be close to the IIC version b4 there was a IIC version... or at least before i knew of one :)

But all in all just have fun it is a Battletech/Mechwarrior game we're all fans here... i hope

Edited by Telecleez, 09 August 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#51 Moleander

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationThe planet third from the sun

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I personally remember MW. The Battlemaster was THE MECH to get. The Warhammer was nice with two PPC's, but for some reason the Battlemaster rocked the game, whether you were a leg shooter or a head shot kind of a person. It also played a role in the books that showed it kicked other Mechs around. Yeah it's cool. For those who knew, there was a patch for MW2 that you could add this Mech and bring back some old days of 8-bit memories.

#52 Star Ace

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

It's rather sad, because these old units are still eminently playable tabletop-wise, and a big part of the lore at this time (not to mention, some of them are actually very common.) Wish that at least they made them available for gameplay now with their future Project Phoenix design appearances.

Basically, all we have are stats and invisible (but quite common at the time) 'Mechs due to this copyright stupidity (no offense meant to anybody.)

And although not my fave, the Battlemaster is an inextricable part of the Battletech Universe-the only assault 'Mech available in my old eighties "introductory" Battetech box set. Seeing as it's on the cover of Total Warfare, I see no reason why it couldn't be implemented i n MWO-none at all.

(I would rather play a Battlemaster than an Atlas anyway-although designed to be the "most fearsome" 'Mech due to his skull-like head, in practice, the Atlas is one of the ugliest! Of course, only my personal opinion-I just don't like using one myself, as a Marauder II is a much better 'Mech anyway.) :D

Edited by Star Ace, 10 August 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#53 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

:rolleyes:

#54 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postaresfiend, on 20 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

I thought MWO was realitme and not turnbased.... This is MECHWARRIOR that we're playing and not BATTLETECH. Keep that in mind. Everything is realtime, turns don't mean anything.

PvtDancer's overall breakdown of the Battlemaster's potential performance is as accurate as any theorycraft of mech "a" VS mech "b" can be since no other parameters are discussed (are the mechs fighting on an open field with no cover?)

But...let's go with the "I thought MWO was realtime..." argument.

Another point to make is what are the likely weapon hardpoints of a Battlemaster.
Well we know it has 6 medium lasers,1 PPC,1 SRM-6 and 2 machine guns.

With that we can guess that the Battlemaster will have AT LEAST 7 energy hardpoints,1 missile hardpoint and 2 ballistic hardpoints.
With 85 tons of mech behind that many hardpoints with the variation of missile,energy and ballistic hardpoints on one chassis I would say the Battlemaster is certainly no slouch in the assault mech arena.

Compare an AS7d Atlas potential minimal hardpoints to it.

1 AC 20,4 medium lasers,1 SRM 6 and 1 LRM 20.(1 ballistic,4 energy,2 missile VS the Battlemaster's 2 ballistic,6 energy,1 missile)

#55 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

i for my part think, given the awesomely great work on redesigning mechs PGI did so far, i believe that a BattleMaster out of their feather could look...well...i´d say...like a fearsome battlemech... i´d give it a go :P

#56 Jason Murdoch

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Can't think of a mech I'd rather see released...but its redesign isn't up to par with the original.
Still, my money would be leaping outta my pockets to get hold of every version if it was released...

#57 Jason Murdoch

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostEdward Steiner, on 09 August 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Maybe Piranha can buy the rights to the "Macross / Robotech" mechs and sell them as "premium mechs" for like $25 each to make the money back on licensing (if this is possible).

Doubt this will happen but I'd be in line for the P-Hawk, Battlemaster, Wolverine and Locust...yeah I said Locust!!!

Thats a hundred bucks promised right there Pirahna...get to work.

#58 Tarman

• 2,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostJason Murdoch, on 09 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Can't think of a mech I'd rather see released...but its redesign isn't up to par with the original.
Still, my money would be leaping outta my pockets to get hold of every version if it was released...

Nice necro btw, but which redesign do you mean? IDT PGI has done any retooling on this ride that I know of, and I'm really impressed with their redesigns of every ride they've done so far. Look at the Centurion for example. It is actually decent to look at now. The original was absolutely hideous even when it was new.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users