• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

New Syrtis Sentinel-Democrat
19 July, 3048 ------

UrbanMech! UrbanMech! UrbanMech!

There're threads on this subject popping up all over the place on the MechWarrior Online forum. What of the case for the BattleMaster? No one seems to care. A source in Defiance Industries said, "basically, the BattleMaster is a Mech with out a clue as to what to do with itself. And therefore, no important roles to play in the future of Online MechWarrior gameplay." Unlike the Atlas, the BattleMaster is a lousy piece of machinery and lacks the fanbase needed for it to be considered as a contender in the forthcoming release. Furthermore, the eighty-five ton machine lacks even a moral character that says, "Buy me, and I'll kick some arse for you!"

If ever the developers of this wanted to add the BattleMaster, they'd have chucked the Atlas and done so upon the release of the website. To say this, is to say that Hanse Davion is really married to a Mongoose instead of Archon-designate Melissa Steiner-Davion. Therefore, the BattleMaster should never be in consideration for the game in any manner or form thereof. Frankly, speaking, it too hideous for gameplay to begin with. Further on, why add it?

#2 Willmoo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Ummm the what now? Is this where we get the Cheese? maybe I'm in the wrong room.

#3 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I hesitate to reply to this, since I can't tell if the OP is ignorant or just trying to troll. However, I'll assume ignorant.

The Battlemaster was, for many years, the signature mech for Battletech, and was featured in many prominant places in the game. It was Hanse Davion's personal mech, and more than a few cover art featured the mech. I myself started my piloting in one, and have loved the design ever since. It does not lack either for attention or capabilities.

The reason you do not see any Battlemasters is the same you do not see Marauders, Ostols, Thunderbolts, Archers, Locusts, or even Warhammers (despite that a Warhammer was a central figure in the video that heralded MWO). This reason is that these mechs are known as the 'Unseen'. Due to licensing disputes stretching back over a decade, these designs cannot be used in the game. The Atlas, by comparison, is a 'mech designed solely for Battletech, and can be used in MWO. The removal of the 'Unseen' creates an especially large hole in the Heavy mech designs in use at the timeframe of MWO, and we can see the result of this in the inclusion of the Cataphract design at a time when that mech had yet to really be updated, and certainly hadn't been deployed beyond the CC.

I hope this has helped clarify what has already been posted many times on the forums already, and would recommend reading a bit before flying off the handle with a thread like this.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 19 July 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#4 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's only a work of fiction, guys. I just wanted to flex my fiction muscle and see what I can come up with.

Edited by hawk819, 19 July 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#5 Soupstyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 19 July 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I hesitate to reply to this, since I can't tell if the OP is ignorant or just trying to troll. However, I'll assume ignorant.

You guessed wrong, it was trolling. : P

View Posthawk819, on 19 July 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

It's only a work of fiction, guys. I just wanted to flex my fiction muscle and see what I can come up with.

#6 RedRudeDawgTX

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostSoupstyle, on 19 July 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

You guessed wrong, it was trolling. : P

And you're right, Soupstyle! Let us all facepalm his ***! So that way he can know how much a troll he truly is.

Posted Image

Edited by RedRudeDawgTX, 19 July 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#7 Lycan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Save the Battlemaster!!!

#8 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

As I said, this is all a work of fiction. It has nothing to do with trolling, false comments against people living (or dead), preferentially living. I juist wanted to see how to write a work of fiction. THAT'S IT! Nothing else! Sheesh!

#9 RedRudeDawgTX

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Posthawk819, on 19 July 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

As I said, this is all a work of fiction. It has nothing to do with trolling, false comments against people living (or dead), preferentially living. I juist wanted to see how to write a work of fiction. THAT'S IT! Nothing else! Sheesh!

Face it, dude. You're trolling. So here goes another:

Posted Image

Oh, in case you should want to make another comment. . .

Posted Image

#10 Riffleman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Battlemaster unfortunatley is an unseen mech, aka copyrighted by someone else. Rather than risk litigation they are taking the safe way out and not using any of the unseen, which sucks because alot of them are my favorite mechs. No warhammer for me, or archer, riffleman, phoenix hawk, marauder, goes on and on

#11 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Battlemaster _was_ Unseen, but the Rights are not at Harmony Gold as it is no Macross/Robotech Mech.
And Wizkids got the Rights back to use it.
Theoreticall with the Battletech License bought by Piranha games should be the right to use the
original Battlemaster design.
But why do we need another light mech right now? (only 85 tons)
The Same goes for the Griffin ( Our favourit Recon light mech) Thunderbolt ( Light Scouthunter), Locust (Civilian Transport to the Atlas) and Wolverin/Shadowhawk ( Light recon mech's others call Medium..)

Edited by Elkarlo, 19 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#12 Zoghak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

would be really nice to have a proper steiner scout mech ;)

#13 Roguewolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostRiffleman, on 19 July 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

Battlemaster unfortunatley is an unseen mech, aka copyrighted by someone else. Rather than risk litigation they are taking the safe way out and not using any of the unseen, which sucks because alot of them are my favorite mechs. No warhammer for me, or archer, riffleman, phoenix hawk, marauder, goes on and on

This has not been confirmed, and given the redesigns for the mechs in the game (which have turned out amazing) we very well could see some of these mechs. Don't you think they know the community is salivating for these things? All they have said about them is "Stay tuned", nothing about their exclusion.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

View Posthawk819, on 19 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

New Syrtis Sentinel-Democrat
19 July, 3048 ------

UrbanMech! UrbanMech! UrbanMech!

There're threads on this subject popping up all over the place on the MechWarrior Online forum. What of the case for the BattleMaster? No one seems to care. A source in Defiance Industries said, "basically, the BattleMaster is a Mech with out a clue as to what to do with itself. And therefore, no important roles to play in the future of Online MechWarrior gameplay." Unlike the Atlas, the BattleMaster is a lousy piece of machinery and lacks the fanbase needed for it to be considered as a contender in the forthcoming release. Furthermore, the eighty-five ton machine lacks even a moral character that says, "Buy me, and I'll kick some arse for you!"

If ever the developers of this wanted to add the BattleMaster, they'd have chucked the Atlas and done so upon the release of the website. To say this, is to say that Hanse Davion is really married to a Mongoose instead of Archon-designate Melissa Steiner-Davion. Therefore, the BattleMaster should never be in consideration for the game in any manner or form thereof. Frankly, speaking, it too hideous for gameplay to begin with. Further on, why add it?

OR.....

maybe it's because the "cool" version is Unseen due to continued legal wrangling over the license, and the Project Phoenix one sucks like a Hoover?

And while I love my Unseens as much as anyone, reality is that the BLR was an average assault mech at best. Only a single PPC for long range combat? Short range, a damage profile very similar to a Jenner. In actual toe to toe combat, the Awesome, Victor, Zeus, Stalker and such all could take it down, and that ain't even counting the Star League mech designs. Heck, a smart pilot in a Warhammer or Archer could take out the Battlemasterr, just by staying at long range and dishing out between 2 to 4 times as much damage as the BLR could.

#15 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Jenner you say? SIX medium lasers, a SRM 6 and a couple of MGs to boot along with a 85 Ton kick or punch (two if you don't fire the PPC)...

The Battlemaster will stomp a mudhole in a Awesome, Zeus, and a Stalker. A Victor? To mobile with the jumpjets and a AC 20 to the back in close range...but the Victor has /nothing/ at range either. As for a Warhammer or Archer... Hammer doesn't have the armor to exchange fire and the Archer is done once it gets inside LRM range.

Average? In the hands of a poor player perhaps, but it is a feared mech on the table to those in the know.

#16 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 20 July 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Jenner you say? SIX medium lasers, a SRM 6 and a couple of MGs to boot along with a 85 Ton kick or punch (two if you don't fire the PPC)...

The Battlemaster will stomp a mudhole in a Awesome, Zeus, and a Stalker. A Victor? To mobile with the jumpjets and a AC 20 to the back in close range...but the Victor has /nothing/ at range either. As for a Warhammer or Archer... Hammer doesn't have the armor to exchange fire and the Archer is done once it gets inside LRM range.

Average? In the hands of a poor player perhaps, but it is a feared mech on the table to those in the know.

I get the first part, but the Awesome could just keep hell on it with it's THREE PPCs without even having to get in range of the Master's other weapons. The Zeus is about even with it, the Stalker would have the Battlemaster pretty far gone once by the time the Master got within close weapons range (if the Stalker pilot was stupid enough to let it happen). The Victor would probably struggle quite a bit with the Battlemaster, that's got no doubt. The Archer doesn't even have to come in range of the Battlemaster AT ALL so the Archer pretty much ties that one up with 40LRMs a salvo even if the Master does get in close enough to start with the PPC, then the Warhammer would only have to shoot the Master with it's PPCs as they close in to win the game.

So yes, the Battlemaster is pretty average.

#17 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

The Masters main Advantage for an Assault Class is the Heavy Mech Speed. So it is more than an oversized Heavy Mech in Firepower and Speed, but with a decent Armour. (Like i said Scoutmech.. *cough*)

There is a Variant with a Smaller Reactor, then it comes with Dual PPC and enough Heatsinks,
and then again it is a good Damagedealer with Ton's of Armor. ( And two PPC in one Arm is very very nice)

Edited by Elkarlo, 20 July 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#18 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

View Postaresfiend, on 20 July 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

I get the first part, but the Awesome could just keep hell on it with it's THREE PPCs without even having to get in range of the Master's other weapons. The Zeus is about even with it, the Stalker would have the Battlemaster pretty far gone once by the time the Master got within close weapons range (if the Stalker pilot was stupid enough to let it happen). The Victor would probably struggle quite a bit with the Battlemaster, that's got no doubt. The Archer doesn't even have to come in range of the Battlemaster AT ALL so the Archer pretty much ties that one up with 40LRMs a salvo even if the Master does get in close enough to start with the PPC, then the Warhammer would only have to shoot the Master with it's PPCs as they close in to win the game.

So yes, the Battlemaster is pretty average.

The Battlemaster running forward is twice as fast as the Awesome and Stalker walking backwards. The simple fact is that it will get up and in thier face without that much damage put on it because the Battlemaster has nearly max armor (14.5 tons). The Battlemaster also has no heat problems at range, unlike the Stalker and Awesome. And up close, the Battlemaster is the better mech in both cases.

As for the Archer, you got 12 shots. That in mind, the Archer walking backwards and the Battlemaster running forward means, to close the gap at 24 hexs is 12 rounds. Oh yeah... LRM 20 produces 6 heat. Walking plus firing both weapons gains the Archer +3 heat, which means in 2 turns, he loses speed. So every other turn he is firing one LRM 20 to maintain speed, or the Battlemaster gets in closer faster. At long range he needs 11s at long range, 9s at medium, and 7s at short. He is just not going to be able to maintain enough fire, nore hit enough (since LRMs scatter all over in groups of 5 or less) to put the Battlemaster down before the Battlemaster gets in it's face and destroys it.

One on one the Battlemaster wins all of those fights. Stalker is the closest thing that can really outgun it, but it also is slower and has heat problems at any range that hampers it further in a fight.

#19 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 20 July 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

The Battlemaster running forward is twice as fast as the Awesome and Stalker walking backwards. The simple fact is that it will get up and in thier face without that much damage put on it because the Battlemaster has nearly max armor (14.5 tons). The Battlemaster also has no heat problems at range, unlike the Stalker and Awesome. And up close, the Battlemaster is the better mech in both cases.

As for the Archer, you got 12 shots. That in mind, the Archer walking backwards and the Battlemaster running forward means, to close the gap at 24 hexs is 12 rounds. Oh yeah... LRM 20 produces 6 heat. Walking plus firing both weapons gains the Archer +3 heat, which means in 2 turns, he loses speed. So every other turn he is firing one LRM 20 to maintain speed, or the Battlemaster gets in closer faster. At long range he needs 11s at long range, 9s at medium, and 7s at short. He is just not going to be able to maintain enough fire, nore hit enough (since LRMs scatter all over in groups of 5 or less) to put the Battlemaster down before the Battlemaster gets in it's face and destroys it.

One on one the Battlemaster wins all of those fights. Stalker is the closest thing that can really outgun it, but it also is slower and has heat problems at any range that hampers it further in a fight.

I thought MWO was realitme and not turnbased.... This is MECHWARRIOR that we're playing and not BATTLETECH. Keep that in mind. Everything is realtime, turns don't mean anything.

#20 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Oh I see... can't win the arguement so you change game versions. Whatever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users