Low Fps With Gtx 1060

31 replies to this topic

#1 Countess

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

Well, title says it all.

I have an i7, 16gb ram, and a gtx 1060. Overwatch can run at ultra with no low fps, but this game can't get a stable 60, it always drops down to 40-50 in a match, and stable 60 when I'm at the mechbay of immediately after I die, or the person I am spectating dies. What's wrong here? can I fix it? my old GTX 755 ran better than this.

Edited by Countess, 07 February 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#2 MechWarrior Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

i have a AMD CPU 6X4GHZ (i know amd is **** for this game) and GTX 1070 , also 16gb ram and on highest details that game have 40-60fps , sometimes 120 but only when im droping , and also sometimes on CW 48mechs skirmish frozen city , can do 30fps, my gpu usage is like 20-30% that game is CPU heavy but ENABLING TXAA antyaliasing gived me more stable and HIGHER frame rates this force my GPU to do something and im seeing 60-80% GPU usage after enabling TXAA , game loos amazing and FPS usualy are 40-60range so ok for this game, you have an i7 and this is strange , this topic is popular on AMD users ,
can i ask what exacly i7 you have?

BTW Doom on vulcan 2560x1080 Nightmare settings, 16xanizo 8x aa, and i have constant 90-140fps.. all the time...

Edited by MechWarrior Black Knight, 22 December 2016 - 10:07 AM.

#3 Countess

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

So, there's nothing I can do? Posted Image

#4 Blackavar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

Have you tried the old favourite of setting all advanced graphics settings to Low, then throwing the game through a match or even just a training grounds session to check the FPS, then upping things a setting at a time? Identifying which setting makes the framerate drop could be really useful for others on here to do some diagnostics.

I had to do that process back when I was running with a GTX 660Ti and then I repeated it with my GTX 970 when that glitched a bit. I was able to get that to run MWO on an i5 4690 / 16GB / 970 setup with everything on High and some AA at 1080p, so your setup with a 1060 ought to be alright...

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Double check your system's Power Options. After one windows update or another players have reported it being reset back to Balanced or Power Saver instead of High Performance.

#6 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

Power options are the first thing indeed. Not just from Windows, but also within the Nvidia control panel.

Next up is the driver itself. Certain drivers have just really tanked performance with MWO. I don't think the latest drivers out there are guilty, but it would still be worth trying another driver that the 1060 will work with.

In the Nvidia control panel, try turning on threaded optimization for MWO and see if that helps. Also, don't force any AA settings or anything.

If you haven't overclocked your i7 (I am assuming it is a newer one, Haswell, Broadwell, or Skylake), then you should consider it or alternatively set particles, environment, and shadows to high instead of very high. They hit the CPU hard and that can momentarily tank your framerates, too.

The 1060 is almost as fast as a 980 and my 980 has no problem with keeping the game above the 60fps mark, so it is likely some sort of weird configuration quirk we need to find and fix. Don't fret too much.

#7 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

I have a gtx 1060 overclocked and an amd fx8320e over clocked to a steady 3.6 hz with 16gb of ram

I get 35 to 60 fps it fluctuates hard as well.. idk what it is tried a ton of different settings to try get better performance but just doesn't happen. Atleast it's over 30 but still. With the system I have I feel it should get a solid 60 all the time.

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

This game is strongly CPU bound. What GPU you have is nearly irrelevant, as long as you have some kind of gaming GPU. Intel I7 is not really any better than same clockrated i3 unless you do recording or streaming at the same time.

For this game 40-60 FPS is pretty good.

#9 Countess

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostBlackavar, on 22 December 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

Have you tried the old favourite of setting all advanced graphics settings to Low, then throwing the game through a match or even just a training grounds session to check the FPS, then upping things a setting at a time? Identifying which setting makes the framerate drop could be really useful for others on here to do some diagnostics.

I had to do that process back when I was running with a GTX 660Ti and then I repeated it with my GTX 970 when that glitched a bit. I was able to get that to run MWO on an i5 4690 / 16GB / 970 setup with everything on High and some AA at 1080p, so your setup with a 1060 ought to be alright...

Yes, I did actually. I get worse FPS with low settings.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 December 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Double check your system's Power Options. After one windows update or another players have reported it being reset back to Balanced or Power Saver instead of High Performance.

It's on high performance, I can run Witcher 3 and Overwatch with ultra settings.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 23 December 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

This game is strongly CPU bound. What GPU you have is nearly irrelevant, as long as you have some kind of gaming GPU. Intel I7 is not really any better than same clockrated i3 unless you do recording or streaming at the same time.

For this game 40-60 FPS is pretty good.

Well with my older laptop with dual GTX 755 and older components I had way better framerate.

I don't get it, why is this happening? does it have any fix at all?

Edited by Countess, 07 February 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#10 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:40 AM

i have a i7, 16g, 760gtx... I can wreck this game on ultra High,

you have something configured incorrectly

your post antialising or something like that...

#11 Countess

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 08 February 2017 - 02:40 AM, said:

i have a i7, 16g, 760gtx... I can wreck this game on ultra High,

you have something configured incorrectly

your post antialising or something like that...

No change. I tried everything. Power settings, Nvidia settings, in-game settings, latest drivers, etc. Nothing changes. If I try Testing Grounds the game plays around 90 fps. If I play online it hovers around 30-50 fps even when there's no action going on nor I am looking at anyone. I can just look directly to the wall and still not get better fps.

#12 Captain Arctic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 388 posts
  • Locationhidden under ECM

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

Did you try assigning real-time CPU priority to MWOClient.exe (in the task manager) or disabling real-time protection in your AV software if you have one?

#13 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:16 AM

My above statement of getting 60 fps is not true. Watched last night and its definetly between 30 and 40 fps. High of mid 40s. Sad day.

Evga 6gb 1060 oc to 2000ghz
500 gb ssd
Amd fx 8320 oc to a solid 3.5 ghz
Asrock motherboard that supports my processor
500 w power supply
16gb pny ddr3 ram

My computer was bottlenecked i thought at the hard drive so i upgraded it to the ssd. Nope apparently not.1

Edited by Natred, 08 February 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#14 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:53 AM

THAT sounds like a mother board, Lan issue...

sounds like you need to make adjustments to your lan settings or processor settings

your bottlenecking

#15 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

My AMD FX6300 paired with a R9 Nano struggles especially on the refurbished maps (esp. Crimson & Forest) - it's clearly the CPU's fault.

So, with an i7 that is not thermal throtteling all the time (check if your CPU fan is spinning!), you should be ok in that regard. The 1060 should be more than enough to ensure consistently high framerates as well. Maybe just not at the utmost highest settings.

My recommendation for starters: Effects, Particles and Post-Processing to Low, Anti-Aliasing to FXAA. The rest can remain at very high, if you need more than 60 fps, you might go for "high" details only.

Caveat: Due to the incredible engine optimisations and a failure to understand the limitations by the map designers, the first few moments after loading one of the re-done maps mentioned above (and to a lesser degree on other maps), the streaming system needs to load objects and shaders, so there can be some intial jerkiness there. Also when you first turn 360 degrees, since objects behind you normally are culled before rendering.

Edited by PFC Carsten, 08 February 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#16 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostNatred, on 08 February 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

My above statement of getting 60 fps is not true. Watched last night and its definetly between 30 and 40 fps. High of mid 40s. Sad day.

500 gb ssd
Amd fx 8320 oc to a solid 3.5 ghz ?!?!?!?!?
500 w power supply
16gb pny ddr3 ram

My computer was bottlenecked i thought at the hard drive so i upgraded it to the ssd. Nope apparently not.1

Hmm, is that a typo about your CPU OC? 3.5ghz is base speed with a turbo to 4.0ghz if not OC....
  • System's Power Options, set to HIGH Performance. (double check it it is still set HIGH, as there was a window update that reset back to default Balanced)
  • Nvidia Control Panel, Power Management mode - change from Adaptive to MAX performance.

• Create a user.cfg and add the following (put file in main MWO folder)
    • sys_job_system_max_worker = 8
    • I would also turn off Vsync and had a max FPS line to user.cfg
    • sys_MaxFPS = 60

Got sys_job_system_max_worker from Narc Bait's thread.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5588519

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 February 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#17 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

The ddu thing helped considerably..still had my old 750ti in the registry and my current one twice.

#18 -Pilgrim-

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostNatred, on 08 February 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

500 gb ssd
Amd fx 8320 oc to a solid 3.5 ghz
500 w power supply
16gb pny ddr3 ram

I have a fx4350 and fx8350 and if you read the forums this game sadly is not meant for amd chips (except ryzen might perform better). i move to i7.6700noneK and have better fps. i got the gtx1070 which still struggled with the fx8350 running 4.4 ghz. for this game you need to go intel or ryzen. my son's i5 3.2ghz performed better than fx8350 for this game.

#19 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

My brand new GTX 1070 is at the PC shop and I will never see it again.

It makes me so mad I want to throw this PC through the window. I have a super new power supply....yea....

Supposedly my Motherboard would not take an upgrade from the GTX 550 I have. And I cannot afford a new PC or Motherboard. I could not afford the GTX 1070 and power supply and I agonized over it for 3 months. And then it went to crap.

I was so depressed I could not go back to the shop even though now my stupid Chrome takes 10 minutes to load. And I've deleted it, signed in etc.

It is a daily reminder that I wasted time, money I did not have and mental anguish over this game and PC.

#20 Countess

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Necroing my old post so I don't have to make a new one. Even modified user.cfg for better fps, and still no change. If I try to downgrade the quality of the game the fps stay the same or get worse.This is just unacceptable for a game this old.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users