Black Screen Bug

5 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

Anyone else getting repeated black screens showing up? If I alt tab out, I see an error message stating "reason=d3d device reset". I just upgraded to a gtx1070 laptop, the GT72VR which has a gtx1070 video card. This does not happen on my old laptop or my desktop. Temps are good, only 75 celsius, passes furmark and memtest for hours. I copied the game from my desktop, ran the cleanup tool, updated to latest drivers which are only a few days old. Loaded DX9 just in case. Other games do not seem to have this issue. I'll get an occasional crash in some games but not nearly as frequently as MWO. When it happens, sometimes I can alt tab out, sometimes it just locks up the whole system.

Anyone else getting issues like this or suggestions on how to fix it? I already tried emailing tech support but they have not replied. They replied right away to a sales question, so go figure which is more important.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:14 AM

Are you running the game in Full screen or one of the windowed modes? If full screen switch to full windowed mode.

Also, Power Options set to High Performance and the Nvidia UI, Power management mode change from adaptive to Max performance and disable G-Sync.

There are other games where players are getting Black Screen with that MSI laptop in other games. Some have had to RMA'd the laptop, received the new one which worked fine.

Also in a few threads on MSI, using Nvidia Inspector or such and slightly underclocking the GPU resolved the black screen GPU driver reset. Many other threads revolve around this.

https://forum-en.msi...?topic=278708.0

https://forum-en.msi...?topic=275650.7

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 December 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#3 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:40 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 December 2016 - 01:14 AM, said:

Are you running the game in Full screen or one of the windowed modes? If full screen switch to full windowed mode.

Also, Power Options set to High Performance and the Nvidia UI, Power management mode change from adaptive to Max performance and disable G-Sync.

There are other games where players are getting Black Screen with that MSI laptop in other games. Some have had to RMA'd the laptop, received the new one which worked fine.

Also in a few threads on MSI, using Nvidia Inspector or such and slightly underclocking the GPU resolved the black screen GPU driver reset. Many other threads revolve around this.

https://forum-en.msi...?topic=278708.0

https://forum-en.msi...?topic=275650.7

The laptop that I have does not have a gsync monitor, it has the 120 hz version, so it is not a gsync issue. The crashing occurs in both full screen and full windowed mode. I'm going to guess that this is really an issue with the laptop itself as others are getting similar issues. Bummer. Thank you for the info, that really helped, especially the links.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:20 AM

You still might what to try slightly underclocking to test. And create a user.cfg, place it in your MWO folder with sys_MaxFPS = 60 (or a more appropriate FPS limit).

#5 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:59 AM

i keep getting dgi error crashes going behind the game, not sure if its recent patch related or drivers, is your vid card AMD like mine?

Edited by Gorantir, 27 December 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#6 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostGorantir, on 27 December 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

i keep getting dgi error crashes going behind the game, not sure if its recent patch related or drivers, is your vid card AMD like mine?

No mine is an Nvidia gtx 1070 mobile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users