Bring Back The Red Triangles On The Hud!

Gameplay

38 replies to this topic

#1 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

First off i mainly play a more scout role in game so this mostly effects me and other scouts.

So before they changed the enemy icons (the icons that now show the weight class of the enemy mech) there used to be either a filled in red triangle or an empty one. If the triangle was filled in this ment that either you or a teammate was targeting it. Which meant that everyone on your team could see them (both on hud and on minimap) because they were sending that targeting data to the team. If it was an empty triangle that ment that only you could see them and no one was targeting them. Fairly simple to understand and more or less straight forward.

However....Since they got rid of that and now it just shows the weight class symbol, there is no way of knowing if only you can see them or the whole team can. This is doubly annoying because as a scout i need to know if my team can see an enemy on my screen or if its just me. I do not help the team by targeting someone that everyone already sees. Because im not giving my team any new info.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Yeah, the red triangle was sure helpful. I guess PGI decided that info about mech class is more important than which direction the enemy is facing.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 December 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#3 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

Its not even that though. I'm fine with it showing mech class on the mini map. But why get rid of the info telling us if our team can see the mechs that are on our hud. Its annoying having a bunch of mechs in front of me, while im behind them all, and not being able to tell which of them my team can see.

#4 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

I guess it's a give/take situation.

While the old method allows better focus fire under certain situation, the new HUD that shows weight class at a glance is also immensely useful even for a scout/Narc user like myself; the new system just gives a far clearer picture of the battlefield than the old one.

Of course, there's no reason why PGI could combine the two together but if I do have to pick one, I think I'd go with the current iteration.

#5 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:12 AM

The new hud/minimap i dont have issues with, i just want to know which mechs my team can see and which ones only i can see. I dont know why they felt the need to get rid of information.

Also i still prefer when it showed weight class on the minimap, but we still had red triangles for the hud. SO if you wanted to know the weight class of a mech not in front of you, you could just glance at the minimap. But you could still tell what mechs your team had locks on and which they did not. I really dont need info on what the weight class of a mech in front of me is because its kinda obvious what they are when you actually know the mechs.

#6 Aetes Kotare

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

It makes sense to me that the radar could let you know what class of mech is out there via the size of the signature, but the direction is a bit of a stretch if they are stationary.

I would like it to show an arrow of direction of travel if the mech is in motion but not the way that the guns are pointing.

Edit: Misread the OP as i was skim reading between matches. I agree with the OP this was an unnecessary change.

Edited by Aetes Kotare, 31 December 2016 - 04:19 AM.

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

PGI has made a number of small changes

that leave people scratching there heads

like the UAV change

change to the Map on Crimson Strait

who knows what they are up to sometimes

#8 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

I would like the triangle and the symbol to show up, but only if the mech targetting it was equipped with bap or command console. This would give those two items more use.

#9 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostAetes Kotare, on 28 December 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

but the direction is a bit of a stretch if they are stationary.

I would like it to show an arrow of direction of travel if the mech is in motion but not the way that the guns are pointing.

Once again, not talking about the arrow showing the direction they are moving. Talking about the triangle that shows up ABOVE the mech on the hud indicating if they are targeting by you or your team or if only you can see them. They removed this so you cant tell what mechs are being targeted and which mechs only you can see.

#10 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:36 PM

I do miss the fact that people can't see if a unit is being targeted or not, but on the other hand, I can finally see the icons over enemies now on most maps now. Which is a wonderful change. So I don't know what to think.

#11 SeaLabCaptn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

I talk about it all here: https://mwomercs.com...cheese-doritos/
Always nice to meet other MLG pros.

MWO is my first experience in BT universe. As a light pilot I quickly learned to identify mechs and weight classes and have no need for belted diamonds.

Information that isn't determined by other means, such as cone of view and targeted icon change, is appreciated greatly and I'm upset it was removed. Just made unreliable pugs more unreliable, no information warfare involved.

Edited in link

Edited by SeaLabCaptn, 28 December 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#12 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:57 AM

It seriously feels like this game is just trying to promote mindless brawling as the only worthwhile way to play. We already get screwed playing lights because you get crap for points playing objectives and you get crap playing support too.

#13 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

what baffles me about this kind of thread is why instead of asking for pgi to add a border around the class symbol to indicate if it is targeted by someone or not, instead people suggest going back to the without a doubt inferior triangle. i mean, why chose either one information when you can have both infos at once with a simple solution.

also, i agree on the uav debacle.

#14 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostCold Darkness, on 29 December 2016 - 03:56 AM, said:

what baffles me about this kind of thread is why instead of asking for pgi to add a border around the class symbol to indicate if it is targeted by someone or not, instead people suggest going back to the without a doubt inferior triangle. i mean, why chose either one information when you can have both infos at once with a simple solution.

pgi doesnt do simple solutions. Also i actually like the "inferior triangle" as an indicator for enemies on the hud. With the mech weight class info on the minimap. Because why would i need to have an assault symbol above an atlas...i know its an assault already.

Side note: having both would be nice, but i get the feeling even if i started a thread about it it would accomplish the same amount this thread did. Which is to say pgi wont do **** probably.

#15 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

View PostRapier Kamigawa, on 29 December 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

It seriously feels like this game is just trying to promote mindless brawling as the only worthwhile way to play. We already get screwed playing lights because you get crap for points playing objectives and you get crap playing support too.

This has been the case since the beginning. Everything they've done has been trying to make the game as e-sports as possible. They're trying to make this franchise something it's not and never will be. Such a shame.

#16 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostRapier Kamigawa, on 29 December 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

Brawling is the opposite of mindless my man, it requires great degrees of positioning and torso twisting fundementals.

Only bads do it mindlessly, and they thus get decimated in a brawl.

#17 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

I miss the ability to see which way my team mates' legs are pointing. It made positioning much easier. Since the minimap nerf into the crapmap, I see people shooting eachother's backs/arms and walking into lines of fire much more often than before.

..and now some idiot removed the blue friendly icon from UAVs.. so team mates are shooting down friendly UAVs all damn day. Good job, PGI.

-----

We could totally have both the triangles and the mech size arrows.

Posted Image

..and the black in the middle could be colored with a darker color to show when they are/aren't being targeted.

PGI just felt like going backwards in development for 2016. That's what happens when one micromanaging fascist dictates change on personal whim.

#18 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:11 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 29 December 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

Brawling is the opposite of mindless my man, it requires great degrees of positioning and torso twisting fundementals.

Only bads do it mindlessly, and they thus get decimated in a brawl.

Mindless as in it doesnt matter to you what is going on with the team or what enemies the team can see. All that you focus on when brawling is the mech you are currently fighting.

Also torso twisting and positing are always important regardless of what you are doing.

#19 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:01 AM

View PostRapier Kamigawa, on 29 December 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

Mindless as in it doesnt matter to you what is going on with the team or what enemies the team can see. All that you focus on when brawling is the mech you are currently fighting.

Also torso twisting and positing are always important regardless of what you are doing.

This also isn't true, if you get into a brawl ignoring the rest of your team you will often end up facing multiple enemies and get blown the **** out, you have to be aware of the postion of your teammates, if they're engaged or not, where the enemies are so you don't run into a whole lance of enemies, etc.

Brawls are not 1v1 duels safe in their own little dimension, and success as a brawler means knowing when to engage based on what your team is doing, for example getting into a brawl to disrupt the enemy firing line and letting your teammates push on the disorganized enemies. Or getting the drop on some enemy snipers who are too focused on trading with your allies to notice the brawling mediums or heavies who just got into position behind them;.

Granted, again, bad brawlers do play the brawling game in the way you suggest, but proper brawling is a very demanding skillset that only reaches success when you take into account what your team and your enemies are doing.

Edited by QuantumButler, 29 December 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#20 Rapier Kamigawa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 29 December 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

but proper brawling is a very demanding skillset that only reaches success when you take into account what your team and your enemies are doing.

I have to disagree there, you act like those skills are unique to proper brawling. To be a good player at all you have to be able to do that. Its not unique to brawling. More often then not the whole team just moves together and then just gets in close and fights. Which is what brawling is, close range fighting. Regardless Brawling is typically the domain of the heavies or assaults because they can take a hit, not lights. Which is what i started this whole discussion about, the change they made does not effect brawling all that much at all.

I have nothing against brawling, i can even do it well when im playing a mech that is ment to do that. Hell thats the easiest way to get a high match score and rank up.

Also keep in mind i am basicly always using pug play as my basis for what im saying. As when you are doing a 12v12 full team on both sides match, that is completely different.

Side note: i would say effective scouting without being seen requires a more "demanding skillset" especially when you have to jump in behind the enemy to create chaos in their ranks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users