Forced Tutorial After Hw Upgrading

8 replies to this topic

#1 Galenthor Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

can anyone please explain to me why I am being forced to redo the tutorical stuff when I have been playing the game for six years? All I did was do some hardware upgrading, and logged into my acct this morning after doing the reinstall last night...

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

You didn't back up and restore your user profile for the game when your uninstalled and reinstalled the game

Its in the "Saved Games" folder in your Windows user profile folder. Example C:\YourUserName\SavedGames\MechwarriorOnline\Profiles

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

Even then, you shouldn't be "forced" to. It should be asking you if you wish to do the tutorial, which you can then say no (and have the academy button flash for you on your main home screen of the game).

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

No, I say force them to do the tutorial.

Being a complex game, big learning curve and all the forum talk about try hards and potatoes
I think allowing a total novice to skip the tutorial is a bad idea.

And because everyone that knows the game well, knows you can quit the tutorial as soon as you power up

Sure it's annoying, but I think necessary

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 December 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#5 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 30 December 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

No, I say force them to do the tutorial.

Being a complex game, big learning curve and all the forum talk about try hards and potatoes
I think allowing a total novice to skip the tutorial is a bad idea.

And because everyone that knows the game well, knows you can quit the tutorial as soon as you power up

Sure it's annoying, but I think necessary

Okay. Let me rephrase. Currently you can skip the tutorial and "not do it now". As of the last time I knew/did the tut, there is currently a "don't play this now" feature, meaning you don't need to do it at the creation of the account. Unless they changed this recently (unto which I have not noticed) of course.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ive never seen a skip button
name may vary

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 December 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 30 December 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

Ive never seen a skip button
name may vary

When I last did it (it has been a long while since I saw it from my Alt account), I had the option to do the tutorial immediately or doing it later.

Of course, given the length of time since I went through all that, it could have changed. But, last I knew you can decline the tut completely, which would then reduce the tut to the academy button flashing.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:50 AM

So... was the Tutorial too difficult or did it take more than an Hour for you?

What exactly are you complaining about?

The tutorial is there for getting new and inexperienced players an extremely basic introduction to the game and should even then take no more than 10 minutes at the most.

EDIT: And if an experienced player is "forced" to do it because he/she forgot to back up the user config... then it isnt too bad, just rush through it, get the lowest scores possible and have good at it again once you are able to access the main game again.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 31 December 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#9 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

Happy holidays everyone.

Yes, it's the user profile that determines if you have to do the tutorial. (BTW if you do the tutorial again you can skip the opening scene with the spacebar)

Yes, we decided, on purpose, definitely, to force new players through the tutorial due to of the complexity of the game - to reduce the percentage of new player "rage quits" (and old player frustration) if they waded into a public match not knowing the basics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users