#1 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Anyone got some tips for good ice ferret builds and info.

Best one I found is 5 medium pulse on the clan variant. Any advice or other builds that are effective would be appreciated.

#2 Hank Wildcarde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

I love the IFR, but then I am a crazy light pilot most of the time...

I found 5 ERMLs, TC1 and 3 heat sinks worked amazingly well provided you corner poke and relocate frequently. Remember - you are a fast striker so don't hang about! Your job is to flank and deliver a surprising amount of damage at range - when they turn to look for you, vanish. You are quite tanky too so you should do well against lone lights.

5 SPLs on the IFR-D is also brilliant on CW scouting too.

On both builds I had first weapon group right arm + centre and second group left arm + centre. That way whichever group fired first got 3 shots off.

Good luck and hope you have fun with (IMO) one of the most underrated mechs out there!

Edited by Hank Wildcarde, 29 December 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#3 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

I enjoy the ice ferret d with 5 medium pulse lasers. 5 is ghost heat though and it's runs hot. Strong firing in groups of 3-4.

#4 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:42 AM

4 medium pulse with an srm 2 gets you slightly better heat management and turns you into an annoying brawler or close up peaker.

3 srm 4 with2 medium pulse is a cooler version that really gets the enemies uncomfortable. Absolutely love those 2 builds

#5 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostNatred, on 30 December 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

5 is ghost heat though

5 is not ghost heat. It's hot simply because 5 med pulse lasers on a Ferret is too much.

I second Hank's two suggestions, 5 medium lasers or 5 small pulses.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostNatred, on 30 December 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

I enjoy the ice ferret d with 5 medium pulse lasers. 5 is ghost heat though and it's runs hot. Strong firing in groups of 3-4.

No GH until 7 of any combination ERSL, SPL, ERML and MPL (clan side only, totally different on IS).

#7 Vanguard836

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

I've been running it with 1 ER PPC, 2 Smalls and 1 SRM 4 with a ton of ammo.....hit and run from affar. Even so you will likely get mixed results, it's a difficult chassis, the common tip for the mech is hit and run.

Edited by Vanguard836, 30 December 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#8 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostTercieI, on 30 December 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

No GH until 7 of any combination ERSL, SPL, ERML and MPL (clan side only, totally different on IS).

Speaking of heat scale, do they have an official thread up somewhere? I need to look at the IS mech weapon limits

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 30 December 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

Speaking of heat scale, do they have an official thread up somewhere? I need to look at the IS mech weapon limits

No, but Smurfy has it. Scroll down to "Heat penalties per weapon" here.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:47 AM

View PostHank Wildcarde, on 29 December 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

5 SPLs on the IFR-D is also brilliant on CW scouting too.

this.

probably the most ugly version of light mech gameplay in a medium mech you can get. also you can run in direction A and shoot in the other direction.

Edited by Lily from animove, 02 January 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#11 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

I insta killed a artic cheetah with 3 srm 6 and a large laser rt. The ice ferret appears to be a very graceful mech.

Edited by Natred, 03 January 2017 - 06:58 AM.

#12 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

View PostNatred, on 29 December 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

clan variant

The Inner Sphere has a variant? And no, don't you dare say "Fenris".

#13 Monster Ultra Zero

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

Ah, the BattleFridge. An underrated, if limited mech. This is the build I use, can play around a bit with armour shaving for more ammo or SRM4+A instead of the sixes. Excellent scouting mech.

#14 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:32 AM

View PostRootpole, on 07 January 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

Ah, the BattleFridge. An underrated, if limited mech. This is the build I use, can play around a bit with armour shaving for more ammo or SRM4+A instead of the sixes. Excellent scouting mech.

Agree with the above, Highly recommend this build (and the chassis generally for scouting). mine is built on the 'D' chassis for the pulse laser quirks and I ditch the head armour for additional 0.5t ammo.

When building ferrets keep note of the CT quirks to optimise your builds - the IFR doesn't have majority of quirks moved to set of 8 yet which is nice.

I run the 'A' Variant with 2 ERLL - most people have played this on a Cheetah, this is basically the same but because of extra weapon tonnage and quirks runs MUCH cooler, at the cost of jump jets and ECM you'd have on the Cheetah. won multiple scouting games by kiting an entire 4 man and legging them slowly in this thing... the torso twist range works wonders with this build. in a good game, with the right opponents (centurions, crabs, griffins and shadowhawks) can finish with 80+% health remaining. just watch the cicadas and locusts.

I run the 5ERML build on the 'C' variant. as described above, this thing loves working at the edges of the friendly deathball, its not a mech for working solo.

The prime is the worst chassis, due to no CT energy, I run 3xSRM4, but most commonly see 4xMPL recommended for this one. if you are buying with Cbills do not buy this chassis. (unfortunately its the invasion variant if you bought with $)

I don't own the 'B' variant, but with the CT quirks it has it would be the best choice for a missile heavy loadout (only 3 missile hardpoints available though LA, RA, LT)

Edited by Stormie, 07 January 2017 - 04:34 AM.

#15 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the advice will definitely keep this in mind^
I purchased the ice ferret as a challenge, still have not mastered it yet.

Been playing the pahket, linebacker prime, marauder iic's and adder prime.

#16 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostNatred, on 29 December 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Anyone got some tips for good ice ferret builds and info.

Best one I found is 5 medium pulse on the clan variant. Any advice or other builds that are effective would be appreciated.

5 ERML is good. 4 is its too hot for your liking.

5SPL is BRUTAL but secret. Perhaps ive said too much... 90 damage in a few seconds. Such nice.

Play like a Cicada/light mech. Be sneaky and dont fight fair. Live to talk about it.

View PostLily from animove, on 02 January 2017 - 05:47 AM, said:

this.

probably the most ugly version of light mech gameplay in a medium mech you can get. also you can run in direction A and shoot in the other direction.

Has the structure to bully lights. Sweep the leg, Jonny.

#17 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Ive recently really gotten into teh fridge, and while it is subpar, its alot of fun and it does actually work provided you arent trying to solo carry games.

My best build with it is 5 erml, 4 heat sinks, and TC1. I cut 3 points of armor off everything and all but 1 off the head (i have never noticed the lowered survivability by stripping 3 points off everything and the number of times i get headshot in a fast medium is so low that i just consider the extremely low risk worth that extra heatsink.

The basic playstyle that works for me on thsi mech is to stick to the flanks and try to get behind/to teh sides of the enemy, but still be close enough to the main group to have a fallback point if you are rushed by lights. Basically you want to catch the enemy just as your main force engages, and leave them with a difficult choice, turn towards you and expose themselves to your main front, or ignore you and thus take lots of damage probably to teh arse. Nomatter which they choose, they are going to be hit really hard by one or the other.

Another solid option is 5 spls instead of the ermls. Granted i would not run this in quick play since its too situational (and gets murdered on certain maps against certain team compositions), but in scouting or in a coordinated team the sheer DPS and super short burn times will tear things apart super fast, and the 4 heat sinks give it the sustaineability to dump around 200 dmg before you really need to watch ur heat.

#18 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

I have streaks on 2 of my Ice Ferrets backed up with med/SML lasers
My laser IFR I don't use much

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users