Looking For Sparky Advice

11 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

Seen the Sparky allot lately during the holiday event and thought it was a good time to ask for some advice.

I bought the Sparky some time ago, had a good run until I hit Tier 2 then my Griffin kill streak hit a wall like a sledge to the face. While I still been having a good run with heavies, my medium mechs have collecting dust in the hanger.

Any advice or should I concede the ranking system has killed a portion of my mech deck?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

What's your build?

#3 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Well, you're starting to run into Tier 1 pilots in some matches now, so you'll likely need to adapt to the poke and peek playstyle - Try This, perhaps. Always try to fight from a location the enemy isn't expecting, and preferably poke out and hit them as they are shooting a larger teammate.

One of the things that separates the top players from the merely good - aside from lots of practice - is their grasp of positioning. They know how to position themselves within their team and against the enemy; it makes a difference. Try to see where your high-performing teammates and enemies are moving, and understand why they might have done so.

#4 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostTercieI, on 29 December 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

What's your build?

Something close to Void Angel's actually
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4e68776f061a6d9

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

Technically, I don't have a build - I'm just guessing from general principles. You could also do something with M04R Pulse Lasers, depending on how you want to engage. - heck, you could even go for @LL 73h Pulse L@Z0RZ! if you so desired. The hot builds will be more for corner-poking and fighting in cooperation with Heavies and Assaults, while the faster, cooler builds you'd use for a more wide-ranging flank harasser type. In that vein, you could set yourself up with ER Larges instead of the standard Larges for more range at the expense of close-range brawling power (you'd generally want to evade close-ranged enemies, and use the ERs in close only as a last resort.)

You could even put ERPPCs in the torsos - I don't know how high the mounts are, though.

Edited by Void Angel, 29 December 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

I think of Sparky as essentially a Quickdraw 5k that happens to be missing 5 tons. I run it accordingly with either a 2LPL and 4ML or offset 4LL build (2 in the torsos 2 in the RA) with JJ and DHS to taste. I know a few people who run it with 6MPL and as big of an engine as they can fit as well.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 29 December 2016 - 05:37 PM, said:

Something close to Void Angel's actually
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4e68776f061a6d9

Not terrible, but I'd pick one thing and be good at it.

Edited by TercieI, 29 December 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#8 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:17 AM

I have all GRFs including Sparky. If you want to have kill streaks in Tier 2 or Tier 1 you need to go HBK-II-C or SCR for laser vomit. Both mechs beat Sparky by far.

#9 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, I was starting to get the 'go Clan or go home' feel during the last MDD event. Was contemplating another clan machine anyway but I want to be in a good place with my Sparky first. I payed for it so I want to make sure I'm still having fun with it first before moving to another Medium. I may wait till the Skill Tree considering it will shake up the Meta game a little.

The 4X LL Terciel and Bud Crue posted is popular, I'm just stubborn about swapping out my current XL. I'll give the Pulse builds a try given my biggest problem is getting singled out by Clan machines and not doing enough damage in return. LPL are my preferred weapon on heavier machines. If it doesn't work out, I should still end up earning enough C-bills trying it out to pay for a new XL for a 4X LL build.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Steel Raven, 01 January 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#10 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

LLx3 + MLx3.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 04 January 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

LLx3 + MLx3.

(This is actually my favorite Sparky build, but it doesn't click for everybody).

#12 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

I've run a few different builds, including 3 LPL and 3 ERLL, but I pretty much always come back to 6 MPL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users