Swears Not Currently Filtered.

29 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

- Douche
- Assfuck

Added: 2/1/2017
- Fuckmothering

Added 17/1/2017
- Fuckton

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 January 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#2 SiZiGee

• Pip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

I don't mind it... but perhaps the younger (or sensitive) ones might find it offensive.

#3 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Depends on context and tone.

#4 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostPeter Wolf 359, on 30 December 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Depends on context and tone.

For many this is true. However, I'd be willing to bet that just as many wouldn't want their children to see or hear it in any context or tone.

Edited by Bilbo, 30 December 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#5 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

#6 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

I agree Bilbo, and I am the first one saying, "is that really necessary?", to a team member that may be using racial and/or homophobic slurs, combined with vulgar language.

Edited by Peter Wolf 359, 31 December 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:27 AM

Well, it's filtered for a reason, whatever may be. Whether i say ***, ****, ******, etc. they all get filtered with context or without, so i think other swears shouldn't be for consistency.

#8 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

The forum filter is insane. It filters out most normal profanity, but also certain jargon and words that aren't even profane - it's poorly tuned and very literal.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 31 December 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

The forum filter is insane. It filters out most normal profanity, but also certain jargon and words that aren't even profane - it's poorly tuned and very literal.

I don't see a god damn problem with swearing myself. I mean the very words: "swearing" something suggestive of an oath, or "profanity" something of the "profane" or not of the sacred. Last I checked venting on a forum had nothing to do with either of these concepts so why is may ability to be expressive being limited. You *******. Also isn't the average age of the players of this game something like 30-40? Not the kind of folks to be offended by a wee bit of coarse language. Frankly sometimes a good f-bomb is just the thing to get a point across.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:41 PM

Nah, profanity is detrimental to forum discussions precisely because it is profane; not in the sense that it's "not sacred," but in that it invokes ideas that misuse sacred things - whether or not one attaches religious significance to them. Thus profanity broadly includes racial slurs that dehumanize people, various terms that coarsely describe sex, various terms that refer to genitalia, and so on. These terms are used for emphasis, and many don't see a problem with them because they view the terms totally in that light. It should be remembered that the terms are emphatic because they are profane. They provide emphasis because they lie outside social norms. That's why profanity shifts through the generations, such that the phrase, "To the enemy commander: nuts!" loses something in translation - not through languages, but through time.

Now, I've spent 20 years and counting in the Field Artillery. I'm not gonna melt or curl up in a ball because someone uses profanity - but I also know that such modes of communication are not conducive to an environment intended to facilitate an at least moderately polite exchange of ideas.

#11 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 31 December 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

...I also know that such modes of communication are not conducive to an environment intended to facilitate an at least moderately polite exchange of ideas.

In support of this, when people use terms such as f**k or the like as a form of profanity, they are not attaching any meaning to the term - it is literally a meaningless phrase in that form.
How often do people who use said term actually use it to refer to what it means, as opposed to simply cussing with it?

It is - at best - a waste of time and space.

At worst?
It is proof that the person using it is not attaching much thought to the words coming from their mouth (or fingers in this case) or is outright hostile to the idea of direct comunication.
Why bother paying attention to someone like that?

Would you want someone to bring dog vomit or cat feces to a pot-luck dinner?
Same concept.

....I acknowledge that this could have been phrased better, but I am irritable after many matches of my PuG (and that itself being part of the problem) scattering to the winds to be picked apart one at a time, then complaining about not receiving support, often using a great deal of such terminology

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 31 December 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 31 December 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Nah, profanity is detrimental to forum discussions precisely because it is profane; not in the sense that it's "not sacred," but in that it invokes ideas that misuse sacred things - whether or not one attaches religious significance to them. Thus profanity broadly includes racial slurs that dehumanize people, various terms that coarsely describe sex, various terms that refer to genitalia, and so on. These terms are used for emphasis, and many don't see a problem with them because they view the terms totally in that light. It should be remembered that the terms are emphatic because they are profane. They provide emphasis because they lie outside social norms. That's why profanity shifts through the generations, such that the phrase, "To the enemy commander: nuts!" loses something in translation - not through languages, but through time.

Now, I've spent 20 years and counting in the Field Artillery. I'm not gonna melt or curl up in a ball because someone uses profanity - but I also know that such modes of communication are not conducive to an environment intended to facilitate an at least moderately polite exchange of ideas.

Bah, language is used for expression, and these forums are more about venting than having a "polite exchange of Ideas". I mean go read a random sampling of threads, most participants are not remotely interested in a any one elses' ideas and they are rarely ever polite about it. My position is merely that if one feels it useful to drop a string of expletives in order to express their views, rage against the status quo, or merely, as you put it, "emphasize a point"; then by all means they ought to be able to. And while it is certainly fun to come up with interesting work arounds to the filter, people still can and do come up with euphemistic profanity that is as clear as the actual word being filtered and thus negating the whole point of the censorship. Meh. I just think that is some stupid flucking shi7 right there.

Edited by Bud Crue, 01 January 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Misuse - even widespread misuse - of the forums (or logic and reason) does not change their intended purpose - nor is it proper for me to insist on my own comfort zone as the standard when there are reasonable people who do not ascribe to the same thing. While we can certainly go too far, it's hardly a hardship for me to reign myself in when my natural inclination falls outside certain bounds - whether via profanity or other means.

I've never been moderated for profanity, for example, but apparently when you tell League of Legends players that they're the people Margaret Sanger warned us about, they take it personally.

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

I have a really ******* colorful dictionary that i found another unfiltered word, fuckmothering.

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Lel, "fuckton" ain't filtered as well.

#16 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

if you actually want to insult someone, nothing hinders you - say something unfilterable - like "your parents knew each other" to a clanner. or congratulate them to an IQ below the map temperature on the cold maps. feel free, be creative. no filter can help that... saying a four letter word just shows you didnt really try beeing creative at all.
considered bad style in most flytings *.

oh, and you can still just type asterisks and "beep the beeping beep off" and everyone will know what you meant.... so why that ruckus ? if you are beeing insulted - block them after telling them that you aint interested in a kindergarden level discussion or people who cant even insult you in style....

* historical sample: the flyting of dunbar and kennedie - a classic of insult literature on a very high level (both bards involved are national treasures of scotland): https://en.wikipedia...ar_and_Kennedie

PS: and insist on classic pentameter verse measure. that`ll drive them insane or to new poetic heights.

Edited by Lolo van Trollinger, 16 January 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#17 Kyle Kowalski

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Why so complicated. if you want to insult a clanner, just say clanner.

thinking about it - clanner should be in the dictionary, too.

#18 Syn Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

As should be mercenary, i find that word very offensive.

Oh, and add Freeborn and Solhama to that list, please.

Edited by Syn Pryde, 16 January 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#19 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

In Hel`s bloody Name and by Thors Hammer, sure the reason profanity is profane because it is profane. Thats the whole bonking reason of it. If we keep people from dealing with it in a reasonable way, we get a wunch of bankers that will never learn to not be insulted and just smile at the situation. nothing is more insulting to the insulter then you just sitting there, listening to his words and then sending him off with a very kind "have a nice evening." - you could still wish him to Hel`s Kingdom and hope he enjoys the trip there in the back of your mind, but what the Holle... If someone is too profane to deal with, they probably are deserving the kindergarden treatment of their childishness... be polite, insult them with a "good evening ladies and gentlemen, i consider this discussion a waste of time.", the british gentlemans way Posted Image

*tips his jesters cap, bows, exits*

Edited by Lolo van Trollinger, 16 January 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#20 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

It doesn't matter whether we get poetic of philosophical, it's PGI's rules so i'm holding them accountable, to be consistent. :P

They don't want swears and profanity unfiltered, here's the list of the unfiltered profanity, please fix your site.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users