- - - - -

Trial Mechs Change Regularly?

23 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Somewhere I read that the trial mechs change regularly, but none of the assault or heavy mechs has changed over the past six months. What's up with that?

#2 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

I only ask because I’d like to try before I buy.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

The trial Mechs generaly change when PGI are ready to release a new wave on champion Mechs which is usualy 3-4 months apart.

Initaly the trial Mechs changed every patch (back then patches were at least twice a month) but the trial Mechs were stock standard varients.

When MWO came out of beta in late 2013 all the trial Mechs became Champion Mechs and changed maybe monthly, then came the Clans and for a time there were no Clan champion Mechs,we got stock clan Mechs added in so we went from 2 trial mechs for wach weight class to 2 each clan and IS trial mechs for each weight class

Eventuraly they released Clan Champion Mechs, but PGI stopped changing out trial Mechs except when new champions were introduced.

I cannot see any reasion why they cannot change the trial Mech lineup every patch or even more regularly but PGI seem reluctant to do so (or maybe they have forgotten)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 31 December 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#4 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have bought many mechs that I don't use because I couldn't try before I buy, they usually get stripped and sit in inventory. It seems a little shady to not allow people to try before they buy because they probably sell a lot of mechs to people that don't know what they are buying and they just end up not using them at all.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 30 December 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

(or maybe they have forgotten)

This is a possibility. Remember the Urbanmech? They actually forgot to release it for C-bills for a long time until someone mentioned it to them. Then it got released to the public real quick after that. Posted Image

As far as trial mech rotation, didn't they just rotate them a short while ago? A few months or something.

I agree though, they should rotate more quickly. I feel every 2 weeks would be good. Lets different play styles/mech loadouts rotate, so new players can experience more sooner.

#6 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

Could I do something to let then know that we would like the trial mecs to be rotated more frequently?

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostLMP, on 30 December 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Could I do something to let then know that we would like the trial mecs to be rotated more frequently?

Posting in the feedback portions of the forums. Basically, in a way you just did. I'd create a thread if you really felt passionate in the feedback thread, and then clearly and politely explain what you want, why you want it, and how you think it would benefit the game as a whole to do so. Then, keep that thread active and they might see it.

Only other way I can think of is to E-mail their support, feedback@mwomercs.com.

Or, do both!

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

View PostTesunie, on 30 December 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

As far as trial mech rotation, didn't they just rotate them a short while ago? A few months or something.

I think they changed about two months ago. Definetly not six months ago.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 30 December 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I think they changed about two months ago. Definetly not six months ago.

I believe it was 2-4 months ago. Not overly certain.

I think I agree with others that Trial mechs should rotate a little faster than they currently are.

#10 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:06 PM

When they want to release new champion/trial mech, they will start thread here asking for builts.
https://mwomercs.com...on-mech-builds/

Which is why we often end up with meta built on them.

#11 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:28 PM

I too would like to try more mechs before I buy. Sadly, it is clearly not to be.

Per one of the tool tips that shows up on the loading screen, trial mechs change "frequently". It has been several months since they have changed (at least 3, I believe).

Clearly the use of the word "frequently" is either a lie or a misdirect.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostInsanity09, on 30 December 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

I too would like to try more mechs before I buy. Sadly, it is clearly not to be.

Per one of the tool tips that shows up on the loading screen, trial mechs change "frequently". It has been several months since they have changed (at least 3, I believe).

Clearly the use of the word "frequently" is either a lie or a misdirect.

it is not a lie or misdirect, just outdated. Those tips were written years ago when the trial Mechs were changing monthly, I agree they should have updated it to occaisionaly instead of regurly

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 31 December 2016 - 12:00 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:02 AM

Does anyone miss when MWO used to change the trial 'Mechs weekly, biweekly, or once per patch?
We should push for that again.

(Concur btw. I came, I saw, I conquered... isn't quite the same.)

Edited by Koniving, 31 December 2016 - 04:03 AM.

#14 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

I posted a continuation of this thread in the Support & Feedback, Feature Suggestions forums yesterday hoping to make it more noticeable to Piranha, but I don't think it's getting much attention so if you want to comment please do it in the new thread.

https://mwomercs.com...ange-regularly/

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

View Postxengk, on 30 December 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

When they want to release new champion/trial mech, they will start thread here asking for builts.
https://mwomercs.com...on-mech-builds/

Which is why we often end up with meta built on them.

There may be more organization and restrictions on the next batch of Trial Mech builds. I... Kinda made a good point about Trial mech builds not being overly "new player friendly" in a suggestion/feedback thread. There was talk. The talk lead to a consideration of more regulation to try and keep the builds focused more towards helping new players, the intent of Trial mechs in the first place... Posted Image

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

I honestly don't keep up with when, and i can't recall them being in patch notes.. But i could swear they change every month with the patch...

then again, i do filter my owned mechs, and these days the favorites, so who knows... :)

yes, they change, when the next change is... no clue!

But to get to actual advice about trying and then buying.. I say, buy some mech class that lets you really try many styles, and builds and then you will know what you like.. then you can really tell what mechs will suit you with what you want to play. My top suggestion is, HBK for IS, they have models for everything,, the 4SP for tank-ability and missiles, 4P for energy, and 4H for ballistics+energy. For clan side,, Stormcrow, or timber are by far the most flexible.. you can play brawler to sniper builds and all weapons systems..

But ya, use trials if ya like, good way to find a mech you enjoy, but honestly once you know what you like, speed/armor/hard points/builds you can kinda tell what a mech will be like anyway.... case in point, i own 100 mechs, I have yet to buy something that didn't live up to what i thought it would. :) That said, some mechs surprise you.

View PostTesunie, on 31 December 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

There may be more organization and restrictions on the next batch of Trial Mech builds. I... Kinda made a good point about Trial mech builds not being overly "new player friendly" in a suggestion/feedback thread. There was talk. The talk lead to a consideration of more regulation to try and keep the builds focused more towards helping new players, the intent of Trial mechs in the first place... Posted Image

DUDE.. you could not be more right.... I say this everytime they make trial builds.. and it pisses me off to no end.. Yea,, give a new player a mech that has a scorching hot build and has to shield a side... Ya THAT IS a good idea!!!!

But seeing they are champion builds, they totally should have a useable engine in many builds, and then a nice well rounded build for new players..... Not some Comp build that people can roll smurf accounts and destroy newbies..... hasn't anyone figured this out??????

#17 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

View PostTesunie, on 31 December 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

Here is hoping it works out!

Unfortunately though, the meta-humpers very... intensively believe that only the absolute meta is worth anything.

I have seen more people than I care to think of recommend the Timberwolf (to say nothing of the current flavor-of-the-month such as the Kodiak) to new people simply because it is so powerful.

Edit:
Which is not to say they are not good mechs, but that there are far better mechs for teaching people how the game works (to say nothing of the meta-humping loadouts that get recommended)

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 31 December 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#18 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

Even if you want to talk about making free to play mechs more new user friendly please post in the new thread. I think getting the new thread bumped more frequently will help even if it’s slightly off topic.

https://mwomercs.com...ange-regularly/

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 31 December 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

DUDE.. you could not be more right.... I say this everytime they make trial builds.. and it pisses me off to no end.. Yea,, give a new player a mech that has a scorching hot build and has to shield a side... Ya THAT IS a good idea!!!!

But seeing they are champion builds, they totally should have a useable engine in many builds, and then a nice well rounded build for new players..... Not some Comp build that people can roll smurf accounts and destroy newbies..... hasn't anyone figured this out??????

My main issue is mechs like the Crab (C). The Champion Crab has 3 LPLs (runs hot, but not bad overall), an XL engine (something the Crab can use well, but better for more advanced users) and a "shield side". Too many of these features make that Crab a poor choice as far as for new players goes. A Crab with a Std engine would have been far better suited for that role. Not shield siding the mech either, as most new players stare their opponents down, which the Crab can still do reasonably well due to it's hit boxes, and still spread damage to other components. Then, having (almost) all the weapons on a single arm leads to new players losing that arm (because they aren't twisting) and get frustrated having a mech with nearly no weapons left. Not to mention, lose a side torso and they are dead...

That's just the Crab (the easy one I can point out). It's a great mech for more experienced players, but for a new player it's just about a walking death trap.

I am curious as to how Tina is intending to set up the submission and voting process for the next round of champion mech builds...

#20 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 31 December 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Here is hoping it works out!

Unfortunately though, the meta-humpers very... intensively believe that only the absolute meta is worth anything.

I have seen more people than I care to think of recommend the Timberwolf (to say nothing of the current flavor-of-the-month such as the Kodiak) to new people simply because it is so powerful.

Edit:
Which is not to say they are not good mechs, but that there are far better mechs for teaching people how the game works (to say nothing of the meta-humping loadouts that get recommended)

What's wrong with recommending the TBR for newbies? It is very forgiving and supports an extremely broad variety of builds to experiment with. Unless you think newbies have to have ecm always or something, I struggle to think of a reason it would be a bad choice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users