47 replies to this topic

#41 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostKshahdoo, on 01 January 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

Man, there are a lot of sniping maps in the game. And I remember I had 6 kills on Highlands with my brawler Scorch, but it doesn't change anything. If opponents aren't imbeciles, you're as good as dead on a brawling mech on this map. And it's just impossible to hide form LRMs, if you aren't on something really small and fast.

There are a lot of folds and small valleys in the terrain. If you have a radar deprivation module and be sure to shoot down enemy UAV then there really aren't that many problems.

The biggest issues that brawler builds have on polar is working with the team and closing range properly.

Many brawlers simply charge towards the opponents since they figure they can't do anything at range. Many of these ignore terrain and get torn to pieces running straight toward the enemy without using cover. Polar requires you to circle and use the terrain to get closer to opponents ... and you need to get some of your team mates moving forward with you ... otherwise it turns into one against many and you die anyway.

I've played one of my IS MADs with an AC20 and MPL on polar ... very effective at close range ... and it took a lot more patience than I am used to, to play properly on Polar. I played point defence for my team and moved toward the opponents along valleys until my team followed along.

Anyway, LRMs are not the end of the world on polar ...

#42 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

View Postyaay, on 01 January 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

nearly every single account of 'but you can brawl on polar!' here is reliant on a multi-stage plan of spotting, maneouvreing and pushing that hinges on the mythical perfect PUG group that acts like a drop group.

Then you get on the damn mic and lead your pug team through your brilliant strategy. Pug players are not some mystical neanderthals that can't walk and chew at the same time - given simple, clear instructions and most will perform like a team. Heck, most are more than happy to follow instruction from someone who sounds like he knows what's going on.

Finally, the maps in MWO are so tiny, all you can do is left/right flank and focus target so let's not kid ourselves and pretend anyone has some brilliant stratagems.

#43 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

This map will forever suck until lurms stop being comparable to an automated gold farming macro.

Where's the GG in standing about lobbing missiles, it demonstrates nothing a chimpanzee couldn't achieve if you replaced c-bills with fruit and nuts.

#44 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

View Postjjm1, on 01 January 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

This map will forever suck until lurms stop being comparable to an automated gold farming macro.

Where's the GG in standing about lobbing missiles, it demonstrates nothing a chimpanzee couldn't achieve if you replaced c-bills with fruit and nuts.

LRM friendly maps are the minority. DF weapons produce far consistent results. I see no issue, aside from the fact that LRMs are too unreliable, and should be reworked.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 January 2017 - 07:11 AM.

#45 yaay

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

View PostSQW, on 01 January 2017 - 06:52 AM, said:

Then you get on the damn mic and lead your pug team through your brilliant strategy. Pug players are not some mystical neanderthals that can't walk and chew at the same time - given simple, clear instructions and most will perform like a team. Heck, most are more than happy to follow instruction from someone who sounds like he knows what's going on.

Finally, the maps in MWO are so tiny, all you can do is left/right flank and focus target so let's not kid ourselves and pretend anyone has some brilliant stratagems.

Why should I? It's beside the point. The problem is the map. The lowest-effort strategies shouldn't yield the best results.

#46 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

View Postyaay, on 01 January 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

nearly every single account of 'but you can brawl on polar!' here is reliant on a multi-stage plan of spotting, maneouvreing and pushing that hinges on the mythical perfect PUG group that acts like a drop group.

The lurmers and snipers on the other team just need a spotter and a low hill to poke from.

It's not unreasonable to require some coordination on a few maps. The vast majority of maps are very "solo pug" friendly with tons of vertical cover tight confines and tiny play areas. And seeing how we get to vote for the map used we more often than not get these simplified map layouts to play on.

Crimson Straight. The map with two points of contact that both lead to the same spot. It has a huge platform to hide under as well as a large tunnel to move through largely negating LRM use and mitigating sniping.

Canyon network. The hidey pokey map the size of a postage stamp.

Mining Collective. another hidey pokey postage stamp

River City or...ring around the citidel as it's played most times. Loads of tight terrain and congested urban terrain to break locks and LOS.

HPG...in my opinion the worst designed map we have in rotation because the vast majority of the map is utterly worthless when everyone is playing in the same 4 squares. This map also pretty much negates LRMs because the tiny portion of map used includes a roof on the top of the"hill" and an enclosed low ceiling area that covers you from LRMs. I really dislike this map for it's overall lack of design variances.

Caustic Valley is fairly LRM friendly yet it's very easy to close range on this map because it's always played as ring around the cauldera in puglandia. This is the quintessential NASCAR track.

Forest colony...no one seems to like this map.I may play it one in 30 matches. It's also a poorly designed map because two thirds of the map are essentially wasted space due to no incentive to go there or being composed of open water with no cover. Dispite this it's very solo friendly and forgiving of idiots due to plentiful cover options.

Frozen City. Another hidey pokey map with essentially one wide avenue of approach. Extremely predictable game play and loads of vertical cover to poke from or dodge LRMs.

Grim plexis. this is another hidey pokey map with some slight ellements of NASCAR. Overall not to badly designed but still overly focused on the middle area of the map leaving large portions of terrain unused in general. Plentiful LRM cover including overhands and roofed areas providing LRM immunity.

Terra Therma...maybe one in 70 matches are played here...I have actually only played the new version four times since it's release. It seemed fairly balanced to several play styles and thankfully reduces the effectivness of the NASCAR and Pug zapper issues the previous map had.

So we have polar highlands and Alpine as outside factors that may require more tactics than 12 armies of one playing hidey pokey and hudeling under overly convient LRM cover that provides 100% immunity to that weapon system.

And perfect pug group? no not at all.

use the comms.

"hey let's do this..."

Bravo and Charlie lance stick together and go to grid XX and stay in cover keep low
Alpha lance go to grid XX and don't get killed
When we are set up when I say go Alpha lance moves in from their side and Bravo and Charlie move in from the other side.

SHOOT AT THE SAME GUY then call a new target. Alpha lance prioritize LRM mechs.

The average MWo player can grasp this it's not super complex.

Edited by Lykaon, 01 January 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#47 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

although easy mode lrms can be fun in polar, i have lost games where the enemy just pushed our lrms boat in a smart way.
i have also pushed lrms boats and won on polar highlands, your scouts need to scout the positions and with a bit communication you can lead your team to victory on that mode.

remember lrms are super uselsss less then 180m

#48 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

I like this map and its mix between openness and trench warfare. Its the map closest to World War 1. Do wish that your side has some LRM or counter LRM support. It is not necessary to have more LRMs to win but some LRM support is needed and usually a team would have some for any occasion.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users