13 replies to this topic

#1 Stonebiter

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hello fellow IS mechwarriors.

Since playing IS in FW is very painfull right now, i want to open that thread to help new FW players with drop decks.

First of all, like EVIL said, never ever use a trial mech in FW. If you don't have enough mechs for a good drop deck then you probably haven't enough experience in playing MWO to play FW. You really have to remember that you face very good players and units there and its absolutly no fun to get stomped and stomped and stomped again.

So my suggestion for 1 Drop deck is that:

1. Warhammer Black Widow

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...64c7b8ea05e456a

2. Warhammer 6D

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80fde65eb134465

3. Warhammer 6R

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45ebb7a8e9e89cb

4. Shadow Hawk 2K

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed80b421e35a53f

I have put in the loadouts from metamechs which i think is a good site to get good loadouts. Experimental loadouts shouldn't be played in FW.

Thats the start the thread if you have suggestion to loadouts on my mechs then just write it down and i really would like to see a lot of posts from experienced players with Drop Deck suggestions. Help the new players that helps us all.

Happy new year everyone.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

We've been have these disussions in my unit...

It's really tough to come up with a "one" deck, that will perform competently in any map/mode....

Most of us end up just hoping we don't get stuck with mechs that are opposite what we need.

Fact is, FP is a mode for the "wealthy" as much as I hate to admit it. You needs probably at least 10-12 mechs prepped and ready to go at all times (i.e. loaded with modules, etc) that you can switch to during the period where you know your map/mode and before you drop. You may want up to 24 well appointed mechs to avoid boredom or handle specific maneuvers called by the DC.

Having said that, ya gotta start somewhere and its hard to argue with Whammers. I would just have the following guidlines:
1) Build for midrange fighting
2) Can operate on how maps (may just be a matter of grouping weapons smart for your style)
3) all mechs run 70-75 KPH (yes this means XL in many, learn to twist damage)

Edited by MovinTarget, 01 January 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#3 Stonebiter

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

does really nobody wants to share his drop deck for new players ??

#4 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

I've been getting by with a bit of a mishmash deck
Black knight 6 3LPL,4ML
Grasshopper 5p 5LL
Thunderbolt 9SE 3LPL
Blackjack 3 2ERPPC

On hotmaps I switch out the black knight and grasshopper for
Mauler mx90 5AC5
Jagermech DD 3uac5

Occasionally run
Quickdraw 5K 3LPL
Zeus 9S 3LPL 3ML
Thunderbolt 5ss 7MPL
Raven 3L narc, 3MPL
Locust 1e 5ML cap accel
Shadowhawk 2H 3AC5

Pretty all of those are mastered, have weapon modules, radar dep and seismic.
I guess what im trying to get at is new players shouldn't be coming to FP untill they build a reasonable stable. 3 mechs and a trial wont cut it, if you want to actually win.

Edited by Stormie, 12 January 2017 - 09:13 AM.

#5 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

The RKA/ISEN/FRR also maintains a thread to help people select and build the best mechs possible for their decks.

#6 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

I run 3 IS decks.

2 warhammer 7s with 6 sml pulse and 3 srm4s with Artemis. Does 80kph with a std engine. Atlas ddc with Srms and ac20 and a commando.

Atlas ddc, atlas s, huginn and urine with pulse lasers and mgs

Third, I can't remember, I only run the first two tbh. But I'm a brawler, I have no patience for trading. If you learn the paths with cover and can twist super aggressively both those decks will wreck face. You just need to keep in cover till it's time to engage them once you commit, you can't hesitate at all. Get in, vomit on people, twist and never stop moving. The warhammer especially are incredibly potent up close against ebon jaguars. They can't twist their noses out of the way before you pop them twice with the lasers and the Srms destroy the now cored out components. But it's not a deck for everyone; you need to be a little crazy and realize that getting your damage and kills will come at the price of dying. But trading a warhammer for a couple mechs helps your team win so it's all worth it in the end.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

I run the following IS decks:

Long Range Maps (takes advantage of ERL range boosts)
BLR-1G 3ERL+4ML
THD-TD 3ERL+4ML
THD-5S 3ERL+2SRM6
BJ-A 3ERL+6MG

Meta/C-Bill Deck
BLR-HS 3LPL+3SRM4
6-KNT® 3LPL+5ML
GHR-5J® 2LPL+4MPL or WHM-BW 2UAC5+2AC5 or WHM-6D 3LPL+4ML
JR7-O

Leveling Deck
Not meta but never derpy.

Edited by Appogee, 12 January 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#8 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

For new players I recommend the following mechs (In this order)

1-THUNDERBOLTS: Tanky, varied, and while not super fast, they can re-position quickly enough. The 9SE is like dakka LPLs, the 9S can do PPCs if you're into that, the 5SS is a great brawler, the 5S does large lasers. Most of them aren't bad on heat either (Except for maybe the 5SS) The reason I recommend you get these first is they're great mechs to learn the game in. Get these leveled up, finish your cadet bonuses or your first few faction ranks, and them upgrade to...

2-WARHAMMERS: Tanky like the Thunderbolts, but most often use XL engines to pack more guns so you'll need to spread damage more. The 6R is exceptional because it performs well in high heat environments (There's a bunch of heat neutral ballistic builds that work great on it) the other two are just laser mechs most of the time and very similar to the Thunderbolts, but present a significant upgrade. If you have MC to spare the Black Widow is a very strong dakka mech and again performs well on hot maps, but it's expensive. If you aren't willing to drop the money it can be avoided.

4- A 55 TON MEDIUM MECH: (just pick one, the only one I advise against is the Kintaro, the Shadowhawk, Griffin, and Wolverine aren't bad, and they'll round out your deck perfectly for now, and in the future you can run 65,65,65,55 if they drop us down to 250 again. That is, all your Thunderbolts and a Shadowhawk or a Griffin.)

5- GRASSHOPPERS: While probably actually stronger than the Warhammer due to jump jets, I've found them very challenging to play. The 5N and 5H basically run the same build, the 5P can run 5ERLL and trade out to 500m. These are very HOT mechs, so don't play them on maps with high environmental heat as you'll overheat way too often. You'll need to learn heat management even more as these three mechs are all laser boats...but boy WHAT LASER BOATS. They pack loads of firepower that's fairly accurate, they can brawl and they can even trade at mid-range (around 390m is the farthest away you wanna try to trade with this mech, unless it's the 5P)

NOW YOU HAVE 12 MECHS to work with, you should be able to build to your team's needs and accommodate most strats. You'll also end up with a powerful 55 ton brawler for scout mode should you ever need it.

But hey, this is just my opinion. If you really like a certain mech, go ahead and try it out. If you're in a unit or part of a TS hub, ask around for suggestions. This is just my 2 cent(urians). Other people have different opinions. Most of my suggestions are pulled from the old version of the RKA drop deck thread https://mwomercs.com...ck-composition/ plus some suggestions from the 'Tier 1' column of the new spreadsheet

#9 Jon McFuzzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Well, all of the above recommendations are really good. Fully endorse them!
The more mechs you have and comfortable with, the more options you have, naturally human will get confused :)

For NEW players, it you are already comfortable with XL Engine in QP and know how to twist your torso and spread damage all over your body, then XL-based mechs can be more superior, otherwise you can stay with Thunderbolts (STD engine) and Hunchback (STD Engine).

Just make sure that you have ELITED them or ideally MASTERED them so you can put in modules.

Cheers!

#10 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

marauder

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...811d2b471469f52

marauder

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...210c2090b6ffe13

catapult

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...655d095d9207a5c

hunchback

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...346331048ecd312

#11 Ramshead

Rookie

• Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

Hi all, I run the same 4 mechs on every drop with a few tweaks here and there depending on what I'm shooting for.
Banshee....3 ER Large, 1Gauss (100 rounds) or 3 Large Lasers with 3 ac/5's with 300 rounds.
Thunderbolt....2 ER PPC, 3 Medium Lasers or 3 Large Pulse, 2 Medium or 3 Large Pulse and an srm4
Griffin...4 SRM6+Artemis or 4 SRM4 +Artemis with 2 medium Pulse
Firestarter...8 Small Pulse or 5 Medium Pulse.
I believe you have to equip your mech for a sustained fight so if you have ballistics, be sure and back them up with energy weapons. I have been dropping as a merc on the IS side because it seems the contracts pay more but in reality if your not winning, you're not getting paid the full amount. With the new changes coming, I think it's time to commit to a career. Jade Falcon is looking very attractive :)

#12 Ihtamnet

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 01 January 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

Fact is, FP is a mode for the "wealthy" as much as I hate to admit it. You needs probably at least 10-12 mechs prepped and ready to go at all times

Only half-true. All u need is 3 EbonJags and 1 Shadowcat. Every clan omnimech can be fitted in meta. Start with laservomit. And maybe u ll need another 3 Ebonjags fitted for hot maps. But u can survive without it - sipmly by knowing how to control heat.

Funniest thing - u only need 2 EJ since Clan Trials are fine for CW in comparsion with IS mechs.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

View PostJon McFuzzy, on 14 January 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Well, all of the above recommendations are really good. Fully endorse them!
The more mechs you have and comfortable with, the more options you have, naturally human will get confused Posted Image

For NEW players, it you are already comfortable with XL Engine in QP and know how to twist your torso and spread damage all over your body, then XL-based mechs can be more superior, otherwise you can stay with Thunderbolts (STD engine) and Hunchback (STD Engine).

Just make sure that you have ELITED them or ideally MASTERED them so you can put in modules.

Cheers!

T-bolt, Battlemasters are STD friendly. That means they are energy builds and the difference between STD and the fragile isXL engine is primarily speed difference of around 14 KPH max, example 64.x vs 77.x. If you are wanting to use ballistics, that is where PGI failed IS mechs, even with the upcoming tech advance, IS weapons are heavier than Clan weapons, but Clanners can use their SHIELD torso (once one side is gone) to reduce the incoming damage hitting it while isXL means death. A STD can use a SHIELD torso, but then it is already slow and carry fewer and less effective weapons.

So the big differences with each side is that Clans can effectively mix energy and ballistics/missiles while IS are seriously limited to energy or a few ballistics/missiles but never an effective mix of the 2 out of 3.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 January 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#14 Wayland

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

Long Range Deck

2x grasshopper 5P's ( 5 x ER large)
1 x warhammer 6D (4 x LPL)
1 x griffin sparky ( large lasers )

Hot Maps

1 x Warhammer Black Widow (2 x AC5, 2 x Ultra AC5)
1.x Warhammer 6R ( 2 x PPC, 2 x Ultra AC 5)
1 x Warhammer 6D (4 x LPL)
1 x Shadowhawk ( 1 x AC 10, 3 x SRM 4)

Standard

1 x Warhammer 6R ( 2 x PPC, 2 x Ultra AC 5)
2 x Warhammer 6D ( 4 x LPL)
1 x Griffin Sparky ( Large lasers )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users