Pick-A-Dilly Pair Stock Tournament 22 January!

70 replies to this topic

#1 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Posted Image

What's this, you ask?

This will be an open, casual stock mode tournament.

Oh yeah? How do I join?

Well, you simply have to find a partner and show up! You and your partner will be assigned to a team made up of other partners and play through a Swiss paired tournament (possible back up mode if the #'s make the bracket too small). WHETHER ALONE OR WITH A PARTNER, PLEASE SIGN UP!

Yes, your pair will be paired up with other pairs for a Swiss paired tournament!

What if I don't have a partner?

Sign up here anyway, show up, and we'll pair you up with someone else who doesn't have a partner. Or we will use you and other single players to fill in teams as necessary.

How big will the teams be?

We don't know. It depends on how many people show up. We want to run 5 or 6 rounds of best 2 of 3 fights, and that requires a good number of teams to avoid teams playing each other multiple times in the bracket. Ideally, we're hoping for 6 vs 6 teams. If we have enough, we'll run 8 v 8 and if we don't have enough we'll run 4 v 4. (alternately, we'll have a small number of larger teams and run the 'race to extinction' once or twice instead)

When is it?

22 January at 1pm EST is when we'll gather. (at least ONE of your pair should be there to represent your pair - OR - if you're arriving as a single, this will give us time to match you up with another player) Ideally, the tournament will start at 2pm EST.

WHERE?

The LCAF Communications Hub (Steiner Hub)

TS2.housesteiner.com - or - 208.99.112.164

Rules?

(Rules are a work in progress at the moment)

https://docs.google....TlR_C04scg/edit

Here are links to our last two events to give you an idea, perhaps, of what to expect.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5484743

https://mwomercs.com...-december-2016/

Posted Image

How do I sign up?

Respond right here in this thread stating your intent to compete, along with your partner's name if you have one!

Do I NEED to sign up, or can I just show up?

You CAN just show up, but a chance to win the best prizes are reserved for people who both sign up and show up!

FAQ

What is Swiss pairing? It's a type of tournament where winners play winners, and losers play losers. Ideally, but not always, you will be paired up up against teams of similar skill so no matter who wins the overall tournament, you will have some close matches no matter how good or bad you are as a team or player. It is NOT single elimination. You WILL have to work for your chance at prizes.

What is Race to Extinction? It is a type of tournament where each round, the winning team gets a handicap/reduction in tonnage. At a certain point, one or both teams are left with minimal tonnage, and the team that wins with that minimal tonnage wins the race to extinction! If we do not have enough people to make a proper swiss pair bracket, we will run this instead, ideally with four teams, twice. This means each team will be paired off. The winners of each race will then be paired up, and the losers paired up and the race begins again. (I might think of something else if the first round lasts too long.)

What mechs do I need to own or bring?

I hope to answer this question more specifically very soon. We have not decided if this will be a 3025, 3049, or 3055 tournament. In any case, understand that whatever mech you take will be automatically reverted to their stock configurations (that is, how you originally bought them). Even champion mechs revert to their pre-champion configurations. (A Dragon-1N (C) becomes a Dragon-1N)

We turn off efficiencies (pilot skills), modules, etc for the tournament so everyone will be on the same level.

The following spreadsheet should show all mechs available for use in the tournament with links to their builds for reference.
https://docs.google....#gid=1791017350

Prizes?

Our last two tournaments had prize support from PGI, and we will be sponsored once again! There will be three ways to win prizes. 1. Win your team's sportsmanship award! 2. Lottery for those who registered and played through the event. 3. Battletech Trivia Questions.

Sportsmanship Awards?

We have a finite number of awards and may not be able to award everyone on the top team, so instead, we will have sportsmanship awards. The way to earn these will be revealed when we know how many will be given out, but we, the judges, will not be selecting the individual winners (hint).

What???

Yes, the goal of our tournaments is to have a fun community event where everyone can drop, have a good time, make new friends and build up the mechwarrior community. It is the belief of the tournament organizers that people come for the mechs and stay for the friendships. The longevity of any video game is very much based upon whether people have a reason to return night after night even when they might be discouraged or a little bored.

Shouldn't winners get the best prizes?

This is a CASUAL COMMUNITY tournament. There are competitive tourneys out there already. This is a different animal all-together.

ADVICE?

Come to the tournament expecting nothing, and be flexible. We like to be creative. The numbers of players that show up will determine how creative we can get. Examples rules may include something like: Catch that Raven! where only one ECM mech is allowed, the Raven 3L, and each team will be required to take one. Whoever kills the other team's Raven first wins the round! We'll do our best to playtest any scenarios during out stock nights Monday and Thursday evenings at the Steiner Hub.

For a complete list of Stock Day/Night activities, see this link!

https://mwomercs.com...ck-mech-mayhem/

Edited by Peiper, 21 January 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#2 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Reserved

Edits to original post:

1/1 added preliminary rules link
1/1 added 3025/level 1 mech list to FAQ section for reference.
1/20 Added Kill the Raven and Race to Extinction rules to the rules sheet.
Updated the OP to include possibility of alternate mode to swiss pairing (race to extinction).

Edited by Peiper, 21 January 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#3 Karthathan

Rookie

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

I would like to participate!

#4 Woody556

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

The graphic states Sunday, the 25th. According to my calendar, it looks like the 25th is a Wednesday. Mid-day Wednesday will be hard for many in NA to attend, being in the middle of the week, in the middle of the work day. Did you perhaps mean the 22nd, or the 29th?

#5 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostWoody556, on 01 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

The graphic states Sunday, the 25th. According to my calendar, it looks like the 25th is a Wednesday. Mid-day Wednesday will be hard for many in NA to attend, being in the middle of the week, in the middle of the work day. Did you perhaps mean the 22nd, or the 29th?

Okay, since you're so picky, I guess I'll have to pick a real, actual date for the event, not some made up one! (I was looking at the wrong calendar. Sunday is on the 25th in 3026, not in 2017... (that is, I mean, thank you for the correction.)

22nd of January!!!

#6 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

This sounds awesome! I don't have a +1 yet, I'll tentatively say Russ Bullock as a team mate, 100% out of wishful thinking. I'll settle for Paul or Lauren though >___>

#7 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

Im in, not sure if ill be on this account or cadoazreal though depends on if im bringing clan or IS mechs ! omg so much reconfigering to stock loadout to do >_<

#8 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostCadoAzazel, on 02 January 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

Im in, not sure if ill be on this account or cadoazreal though depends on if im bringing clan or IS mechs ! omg so much reconfigering to stock loadout to do >_<

It'll be 3025 mechs, so bring your inner sphere account. You don't have to reconfigure anything in stock mode. When activating the stock loadout feature in the private lobbies, the game automatically converts your mech over as you drop. After you drop, it reverts it back to your saved spec. You don't have to spend any cbills, though someone on your team needs to have premium time to make the lobby.

#9 CharlieChap

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

Great Idea.

CharlieChap + 102_devil+ HappyPilot + (another hopefully to make up 2 pairs) would like to participate.

2pm EST is 7pm UDT but a long evening for an event such as this is worth it.

Edited by CharlieChap, 09 January 2017 - 06:53 AM.

#10 Dettmam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Dettmam 07

Inex will join properly this time!

#11 Pyrodancer

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

Count me in!

#12 PirakeS

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:30 AM

+1 o7

#13 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

I'd love to be included but the only IS mechs I have are the NCIX Centurion and the Grid Iron so... looks like I'll spectate...? Unless you want to break out an Everyone-Versus-BW's-Mist Lynx, it'll be all I'm good for. This time.

Ask me again when I get my Roughnecks. ;)

Thanks so much for doing this!

#14 Hikage

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

This sounds interesting... consider me signed up, partners name pending.

#15 cBiscuit

• Pip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

cBiscuit of CWI is interested. Sign me up. I do need a partner.

#16 UltraMek

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

I'm in

#17 tworivers

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 47 posts