8 replies to this topic

#1 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

Well im not sure if this is the place to talk about this but i could not find the appropriate section so i figured the OT is the place. Anyhow a friend told me of a website, PCpartpicker. So going down the line i selected what i think is good/best. Im somewhat on a budget but not really, i dont want to over exaggerate the build, just knowing it good enough to run MWO and the future HBS Btech or MW:5 Merc.

I hope this link works so that you may view the selected items i have chosen:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/h3ZWKZ

***Updated Parts List***

Please tell me what you think, this is my first time trying to build one and im not all that savvy with computer knowledge but tend to know a bit of it. So please, any feedback given would be appreciated.

Edited by Elizavitka Kerensky, 10 January 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#2 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

looks very similar to the one i built and am using now. My maximus ranger was trying to run my 3000 ram at 2100 - dont trust the motherboard to overclock your ram for you, the app is ****, the pc will run fine in the short term but you will need to learn how to set the ram yourself at some point. You dont really want to just install everything on the disk that comes with the motherboard aswell, while some stuff like the driver are required, all of the "performance monitors" 3d cheat sound and whatever else are just rubbish you dont want clogging up your PC. There is alot of crap that comes with the maximus boards that you can probably live without and if you want to save money look at lower models, compare specs. Overall i would say my ranger was a "fiddly" board to get on with (been putting bits together for decades) Same thing goes when you install the gfx card, you are better off imo just downloading the up to date driver from the nvidia site rather than installing "nvidia experience" off the disk, unless you really want some of the features, like recording play (get fraps) Install windows.... windows isnt game ready and you need to offload all the rubbish you dont need, thats too much to type here try google. You really want windows 10? i put windows 7 pro on mine. TCP optimiser is a useful little app. So is autoruns.

Putting the bits together is easy, its the installing and tweaking etc etc that really gets the value out of your hardware

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

I got help here

https://mwomercs.com...re-accessories/

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

I cannot see any problems however one of the parts looks redundant, the Motherboard already has a LAN connector for plugging in your wired network so you do not need the wired network addaptor unless you want to have it run on 2 seporate wired networks at the same time

#5 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 07 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Ya i found that section not long ago now, somehow i overlooked that, thanks.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 08 January 2017 - 12:52 AM, said:

I cannot see any problems however one of the parts looks redundant, the Motherboard already has a LAN connector for plugging in your wired network so you do not need the wired network addaptor unless you want to have it run on 2 seporate wired networks at the same time

Thanks, good to know, wasnt sure at first.

I do have a semi-concern about the MB, now are all the mount holes the same when placed into the case? Like will they line up? The current case in my list may change but really having a hard time deciding as i have found a really eye candy one from Corsair. But just curious about the mounting holes cause there are so many MBs and Cases to choose from.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

there are several standards for motherboard size and mounting hole location, the one on your origional list is ATX (Advanced Technoligy eXtended), so any case that is ATX compatable will have holes in the right place to mount the motherboard.

most full size cases are ATX compatable as it is the most popular standard for a full sized motherboard.

I advise you to check the lengh of the Graphics card and make sure the case has suffiscent space to accomidate it, as some cases cannot fit realy long graphics cards, that should not be a problem on most recent cases, especialy if they are marketed at gamers but it is worth checking just in case

be aware of mini and micro ATX cases, an ATX case can fit a mini or micro ATX motherboard but a Micro ATX case cannot fit a mini or full ATX board because the boards would be too big for the case

#7 Ilxuss

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:23 PM

I have but one suggestion - I'd rather go for two or even three SSD's with at least one being larger than 120GB. One for OS and one for games/more demanding applications (and optionally one which would contain page file and also wouldn't need to be big). Newer, more modern and larger games will benefit from SSD noticeably and can often take around 40-60GB of hard drive space each.

As for one larger SSD - OS would also benefit from that drive and my experience with windows says that with only 120GB for system files one may find oneself lacking space. Additionally some files will be put there by default and changing that will be impractical. This drive may also contain aforementioned page file.

For the record - my game drive has 36GB free of 238GB (~85% occupied) and my OS drive has 138GB free of 232GB - around 60% of occupied space - and I swear this one drive is one I try to keep clean and not touch. That's after around 1,5 year of usage - I reinstalled my OS because my 120gb drive has started to run out of space and I had nothing I could do to free space. And even after cleaning I started to run out of space soon after. And even if you find out that your OS drive doesn't use that much space you can always put something in there as well. :)

Edited by Ilxuss, 09 January 2017 - 01:53 PM.

#8 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

I would change from Air Cooled to Water Cooled for your processor. Something like the Cosair H100i. The SSD is fine is all your doing is OS on it. I would get another for a few of your favorite games, and 1TB really isnt enough anymore. Up it to a 2TB, 3TB, or two 2TB. Unless you will be creating content or music and video editing, you dont need an audio card, the mobo has a decent enough one built in, same goes for the LAN card. I would upgrade the fan from 120mm to whatever the max size that case supports. While 850watt is alot, doesnt hurt to have more than you need, than not enough. Overall good build, now you need 4K monitors.

#9 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostQuinn Allard, on 09 January 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

I would change from Air Cooled to Water Cooled for your processor. Something like the Cosair H100i. The SSD is fine is all your doing is OS on it. I would get another for a few of your favorite games, and 1TB really isnt enough anymore. Up it to a 2TB, 3TB, or two 2TB. Unless you will be creating content or music and video editing, you dont need an audio card, the mobo has a decent enough one built in, same goes for the LAN card. I would upgrade the fan from 120mm to whatever the max size that case supports. While 850watt is alot, doesnt hurt to have more than you need, than not enough. Overall good build, now you need 4K monitors.

Ive thought about LC unit but wasnt entirely sure about them. The suggested Corsair H100i you mentioned didnt seem to have good reviews while some buyers did like it. So i am a bit iffy with that one. I did check out CoolerMasters and found this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103231

I know its only one review but the other similiar model seems to be very good as well. It seems simple enough to install where as i dont need something that requires plenty of maintenance (and maybe transform?) but im leaning towards this.

The more i look at my selected items, i been modifying several of the items so i'll have to link a new one later.

I decided to beef things up a bit starting with the graphics card, its hefty in price i know, but im purely building this for the sole purpose of MW:O and HBTs BTech and nothing else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127943

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820236135

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819117726

In regards to the sound card, i'll take that off my list. Multiple SSDs im fine with too and the suggested setup.

Thanks in advanced for the replies too guys, i appreciate the feedback and suggestions, im still learning as i go so anymore would be helpful!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users