#101 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 09 January 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

If your reference drop crashes and burns, do I get to keep all the money?

Well, you can keep the ammunition... Posted Image

#102 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

That means I also get the money.

#103 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'm driving my new account down to Tier 6.

This is so depressing. Between my poor eyesight and total lack of eye-hand coordination I really have no hope.

But I have found my role in this game. The loser. For every winner, there has to be a loser.

My ID of LIkeUntoGod used to be a proud one so I'm now just starting and playing other accounts for a month or so.

If anyone wants to go back to Clan with only 4 mech bays, here is how you do it. After your first 25 matches, buy a ShadowCat. Then a 2nd, then a 3rd. Master one and sell the others. Then get three Hellbringers.

You now have an all ECM 240 ton dock deck and the Shadowcat for scouting.

Then start all over.

#104 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostTesunie, on 09 January 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

ATD isn't very effective for SSRMs. I can see it having it's uses, but overall there are probably better modules to pair with SSRMs.

I mean, if you find it working well for you, all the power to you. I won't say anything against it.

yes that 360 one is better, just been lazy getting it. spending C-Bills on new mechs and not Modules

Target decay helps when I'm chasing someone, would rather have them still locked then having to relock after each corner turned . . that's me though

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 10 January 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#105 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 10 January 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

I'm driving my new account down to Tier 6.

This is so depressing. Between my poor eyesight and total lack of eye-hand coordination I really have no hope.

But I have found my role in this game. The loser. For every winner, there has to be a loser.

My ID of LIkeUntoGod used to be a proud one so I'm now just starting and playing other accounts for a month or so.

If anyone wants to go back to Clan with only 4 mech bays, here is how you do it. After your first 25 matches, buy a ShadowCat. Then a 2nd, then a 3rd. Master one and sell the others. Then get three Hellbringers.

You now have an all ECM 240 ton dock deck and the Shadowcat for scouting.

Then start all over.

lemme guess, you singing When the hurt is over right now

#106 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

For the OP, here are a few bits of advice that don't seem to be in the previous posts:
  • If you are having trouble seeing stuff, make sure you set your video settings to "low" on most effects to up your frame rates and reduce clutter. Turn OFF that cockpit glass. The only thing I leave on High are object details and textures.
  • Turn UP gamma and brightness if it's too dark to see on a level or if you are just not aiming well. We human beings tend to react more quickly and track objects more easily in a bright scene. I actually adjust gamma and brightness at the start of many maps to make sure I have the correct settings for that particular map.
  • Mouse sensitivity: Make sure it's low enough for you to aim well. If you are stationary, you should be able to pick out components on a moving mech easily. If you are not that coordinated, just lower the sensitivity until you can track approximately the center of the enemy mech comfortably, without struggling too much.
  • Posture: Make sure you sit in a nice upright posture with your arms and shoulders relaxed. Make sure you are close enough to the screen that you can see and aim well but far enough that you don't get lost in the action and forget to look at the map. Most people will find a specific distance that feels most natural for aiming.
  • Stretching: Make sure you step away from the computer every few maps to give yourself a chance to refresh and get your blood flowing again. This is also important for your health.
For Arctic Cheetahs, I recommend:
  • 6 small pulse lasers
  • ECM
  • Coolshots
  • Possibly a UAV
  • A seismic module or a info acquisition module
But why not ERLL? Because it's very hard to do real damage and help the team win with ERLL. Those are harassment weapons. Only very infrequently will you have a situation where you can kill off heavily damaged enemy survivors and win the game as the last surviving hero.

6 small pulse lasers will teach you to get close to the enemy like a 30 ton ninja, and, very importantly, they will let you confidently fight any other light mech in the game. Against pretty much any mech in the game, you can be a very dangerous threat.

Approaches to attacking other mechs:
  • Make sure you know the load out and health status of the target before engaging. This means locking them with the sensor by pressing R, waiting to see the readout on what they have, and then deciding when to attack
  • Do not attack: healthy dakka mechs, laser vomits, short range SRM and AC builds, Artemis SRM equipped mechs, skilled Gauss/ERPPC snipers, groups of mechs, especially light mechs when you are on your own.
  • Do attack: stripped mechs of any kind, any healthy or weak LRM or ERLL mech, lights with lower fire power builds, any mech with its back turned, any mech that's under attack by another teammate.
  • Do be very sneaky: Move undetected by using terrain features to mask your movement, using JJs sparingly to avoid enemies seeing the JJ flames, turning ECM from disrupt to counter by pressing "J" when sneaking up on an enemy, fire then move or jump back into cover to further confuse the enemy regarding your location.
  • Do not be too greedy: if a mech turns and notices you, run away. You will always get the chance to attack again later
  • Do not stand still, walk in a straight line towards the enemy or JJ burn continuously in the air: change directions frequetly, use as short burns as possible to change directions and lower predictability.
  • Do work together with larger teammates: Stand next to an Atlas and you will disappear to the enemy's eyes, yet you will be doing almost as much damage. Run to your teammates who need ECM cover, they will appreciate it. If you see lights attacking your team, go fight them to get them off the backs of your larger teammates. If you see LRMs or snipers tormenting your teammates, utilize your speed, stealth and maneuverability to confront them and take them out or make them stop.
  • Do be aggressive: Arctic Cheetahs are sneaky, but they also attack, attack and attack! You want to be that thorn in the enemy team's backside. They have great hit boxes (except the legs) and are actually very sturdy. There "Arctic Cheater" reputation is well deserved so make use of it!
  • Do communicate: With your ECM, JJs, speed and small size, you will be able to go out and get info or locks for your team. Let them know with VOIP!!!! A radio is sometimes much more deadly than any gun.
PS: Here's a recent video of me putting these tips into action. 4 kills, 5 assists, >600 dmg. I do this all the time. This little mech is capable of great things in the right circumstances.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 10 January 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#107 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 10 January 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

lemme guess, you singing When the hurt is over right now .

And let your twin ERLL Freak Flag Fly!

#108 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 10 January 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

yes that 360 one is better, just been lazy getting it. spending C-Bills on new mechs and not Modules

Target decay helps when I'm chasing someone, would rather have them still locked then having to relock after each corner turned . . that's me though

360's very short range makes it of dubious use. I would recommend never getting it - though I suppose you could treat it as an experiment since the modules are planned to be refunded after the new skill system comes in.

#109 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 11 January 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

360's very short range makes it of dubious use. I would recommend never getting it - though I suppose you could treat it as an experiment since the modules are planned to be refunded after the new skill system comes in.

I'm a Module nut and I got it. Then I found zero use for it. Part of the problem is that you only have so many slots, and this is not in the top 10 modules.

#110 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Sounds like my NPE, my suggestion is to first look at the weapon ranges you are using and what ranges the battle is taking place at and then your play style, if the range is 450m, you dont need to be in close - stay away from the melee, take shots carefully, dont rush and stay with the team. Also, learn to use the weapons well, can you hit a moving target - what about when you are moving. Practice in the training ground, learn to hold the lasers on one component while you are moving.
Playstyle, hang back, dont rush, be patient, when I do this may game goes from 300-500dmg to 700-1,000 and I usually weigh 35-40T.
Try a few light mechs, they will teach you how to stay alive longer.

#111 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostJustin Kell, on 02 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

I've been playing for a few months now and my kill/death ratio is 32/718. I don't seem to be getting any better.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. maybe I need to rebuild my mechs or change my tactics but I have no idea.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking for. I guess I'm just hoping you guys have some ideas to help me suck a little (or a lot) less.

Takes time and one thing you have to consider do you play for fun or are you going to be the next world champion.. If you play for fun and simi serious then who cares what your score is just have fun and play a game for what it is a game.

If you play that your going to be the world champion then well you have a long road ahead.. Just practice practice and oh wait more practice. Ask around for advice and listen to players and dont become some Tier 1 elitist after you become tier 1 and help someone else achieve your rank.

Most of all just have fun

Hell with all the footage I have to get and I play lore builds that are no way near meta and get killed all the time or have to get that one shot etc. I gave up on knowing my score and dont really care about it.

#112 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:39 PM

There are 2 things that I always adhered to;-

1) Unleash your weapons with alpha strikes aim at the enemy CT (if its ST is at least red frame and contains weapons, prioritize to destroy it instantly). Ensure that your mech does not shutdown due to excessive heat. If enemy CT is red critical, press override (O) then attempt to shoot and destroy it.

2) Try to stay alive for at least 4 minutes and deal damage as much as possible, the idea is to give the better pilots to work their "magic" and hope it's sufficient to carry the team to a victorious outcome.

#113 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

I've been doing something lately that everyone says to do. Shoot their legs.

It is very hard not to aim for the middle of the enemy mech center torso but that is where his armor is strongest.

#114 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 18 January 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

I've been doing something lately that everyone says to do. Shoot their legs.

It is very hard not to aim for the middle of the enemy mech center torso but that is where his armor is strongest.

I agree with this, to some extent.

Legs are typically easier to destroy, but can be harder to hit. There is also the common issue of "every shoot for the middle". What I mean by this is, many people will aim for the middle. So, if you are aiming at the legs, the enemy mech may actually take longer to to be removed as a threat.

You want to hit them where they are damaged. If it's a 1v1, by all means go for those legs. If everyone else is shooting at that torso, then you probably should aim there as well instead of spreading damage down to the legs.

Basically, it's up to the situation. The legs are a weak point on many mechs, but not always the right place to shoot all the time.

#115 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostTesunie, on 18 January 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

I agree with this, to some extent.

Legs are typically easier to destroy, but can be harder to hit. There is also the common issue of "every shoot for the middle". What I mean by this is, many people will aim for the middle. So, if you are aiming at the legs, the enemy mech may actually take longer to to be removed as a threat.

You want to hit them where they are damaged. If it's a 1v1, by all means go for those legs. If everyone else is shooting at that torso, then you probably should aim there as well instead of spreading damage down to the legs.

Basically, it's up to the situation. The legs are a weak point on many mechs, but not always the right place to shoot all the time.

Agreed.

The logic fails in that Leg x2 is usually > CT (so yes, one leg is usually less than the CT, but one leg also wont kill your target). BUT, it really depends on knowing your opponent's mech (and possibly even your opponent)... Mechs that commonly sac leg armor for weight make great leg targets. Leg's can't really be shielded or twisted.

Legging a warhammer or EBJ or mad IIc? Yeah I can see that. Legging an atlas or a highlander? Not so sure. And especially if I have a clear shot at the back. But then, of late, LRMs seem to be hitting legs first....

But honestly, it depends on a lot of little things. It's a little too much one-size-fits-all advice (which, as this thread grows, I find more and more repeat or bad advice creeps in and little new ground gets added).

Then again, people hate to use their brains and think =p In which case, maybe the OSFA accrues more gain then loss that way =p

#116 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

There are certain situations that I'll prioritize to shoot legs as follow;-

1) Mech has just one leg left.

2) The damage to destroy both legs of mech is lesser than its CT.

3) Light mech that can travel at a speed in excess of 136 kph and then, aim its CT to shoot for the kill. I won't bother to break its other leg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users