- - - - -

I Really Suck At This...

115 replies to this topic

#21 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Ok. Here's my Arctic Cheetah prime loadout. Please help. :)

I have an ER Large Laser in each torso and a clan ecm in the right torso.
There's a clan XL 240 engine and I have 6 class V jump jets.

No armor on the arms (since there's nothing in them) max armor everywhere else, and 1/10 of a ton of space left.

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

I haven't looked over the whole thread, but I wouldn't worry too much about your K/D. It's really easy for you to do most of the work on a mech, only to have a teammate swoop in an secure the kill for your team. I phrase it this way because, this is a team game, it overly doesn't matter who does the killing, as long as the enemy mech drops.

So, my question to you is:
What mechs do you tend to play (weight range)?
How much damage do you tend to do per match (rough average)?
How many assists do you get (roughly)?
How many Kill Most Damage Dealts do you achieve (estimate)?
Components destroyed?
Scouting and/or flanking?
Are you the one who captures the resource points in modes such as Conquest? Are you the one who tends to get behind the enemy, turning their backs (and guns) away from your teammates (letting them survive longer/get those kills easier)?

There are a lot of factors that go into a match. K/D is just a tiny aspect of the match, and honestly isn't as important as some people make it out to be. It is just one factor of many.

#23 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostJustin Kell, on 03 January 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

Ok. Here's my Arctic Cheetah prime loadout. Please help. Posted Image

I have an ER Large Laser in each torso and a clan ecm in the right torso.
There's a clan XL 240 engine and I have 6 class V jump jets.

No armor on the arms (since there's nothing in them) max armor everywhere else, and 1/10 of a ton of space left.

How about these? Not messed about with omnipods. You lose alot of range but this is where the ACH excels, getting in close and wreaking havoc.

ACH-PRIME

ACH-PRIME

Edited by Musashi Alexander, 03 January 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#24 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostJustin Kell, on 03 January 2017 - 11:22 AM, said:

That is a fine sniper build. Make sure you stay away from your team, being aware of where the enemy are. Try to pull enemy attention away from teammates, maybe even a few mechs off the front line as they go and chase you. However, that build is not likely to give you many kills.

As for that 1/10 ton left, armor up those arms. If you twist your torso when you know damage is about to come in, those arms can help shield your torso of damage. More health on the arms means more damage they can take that may have gone to your torso sections. If you are not "rolling damage" to your arms, its a skill you may wish to practice. How this goes is, shoot your weapons, while they are on cool down, show the enemy your arm (twist your torso away from them). If they shoot back at you, they are more likely to hit that arm. When your weapons are ready to fire again, line up and shoot.

And, one last tip... Don't forget to keep moving! You may have long range, but if you stand still too long, you become an easier target and people can/will find you and kill you. Avoid close combat with that build if you can... and try not to get entangled in the enemy light mechs. You aren't set up to handle a 1v1 light mech fight.

One final tip, make sure your armor is front loaded. Being a sniper, the enemy should be unlikely to shoot you in the back (if things go well). Reduce your back armor to somewhere around 5-10 armor (up to personal preference). Adjust as you need/feel, depending upon where you on average take damage.

(Next time you share a build, consider using Smurfy. It will give people a more detailed look at your build.)

#25 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostTesunie, on 03 January 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

What mechs do you tend to play (weight range)? Mainly lights. I like to play the Stalker on occasion along with a couple of mediums that I don't play very often at all.
How much damage do you tend to do per match (rough average)? Around 50-100. 150 is really good for me

How many assists do you get (roughly)? Usually around 1-2

How many Kill Most Damage Dealts do you achieve (estimate)? almost never

Components destroyed? very rarely

Scouting and/or flanking? I get 4 or 5 of those unless I die really quickly.

Are you the one who captures the resource points in modes such as Conquest? Yes

Are you the one who tends to get behind the enemy, turning their backs (and guns) away from your teammates (letting them survive longer/get those kills easier)? I try, but usually get spotted and killed pretty fast.

There are a lot of factors that go into a match. K/D is just a tiny aspect of the match, and honestly isn't as important as some people make it out to be. It is just one factor of many.

#26 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

In addition to the pointers above, I would also check a couple of your Settings.

Mouse Sensitivity is set to max by default. If you have trouble keeping a target in your cross hairs, that might be the problem. Turn it down all the way and adjust upward as necessary.

FPS and/or Ping might be issues. Pressing F9 while in a match should bring up the display of your FPS, Ping, and XYZ coordinates. Make sure your FPS is high and you Ping low. Otherwise you'll end up with all kind of frustrating in-game graphical and/or performance problems.

Good Hunting!

-paws

#27 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Dude, keep it simple at first.

You won't get many kills in an Arctic Cheetah until you get to be a darn good player. I'd switch to mediums and heavies.

My best advice is to start watching YouTube videos from some MWO players. They'll show you what good gameplay and good builds look like.

I suggest: You can also check out Kanajashi's tutorials.

It's a tough game to learn, but fun when you start getting some results!

Purple Puke

#28 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

I started way back in late 2012 playing this and it took me a while to really learn how to play. Not just play, but play certain roles. Are you that atlas that will tank damage for everyone else in a push? That light that goes out and draws 4, 5 or 6 mechs in the other direction of the VIP mech. The scout that allows the rest of the team to know where to position. That medium that dances on in, smacks it's target and disappears from retribution. That sniper or that high pinpoint damage heavy.

After 6 months of playing the game I was at 0.04 KDR. That was with 3 ravens and one Atlas DDC. Then I started to play the Jagermech and later the Battlemaster, Atlas, Thunderbolt, Giffin, shadowhawk and wolverines. It was like the Griffin found me. I found my niche, but new I had to learn other mechs and other styles of play.

Why learn other mechs and other styles of play. What you can do unto others, others can do unto you.

Myself, I got decent. Even while learning to play at 4-6 fps. Now playing at 9 to 16 fps with a form of mech Parkinson (after the a patch in Feb 2015) that I need to hit the left shift key all the time to keep from phasing to my right and left. Sure I got issues, but I have got as high as 6th in one of the chassis challenges for griffins. (that was pre-mech parkinsons) Then last year I could get into the 20's in another of the challenges.

After the February 2015 patch I had to relearn how to play again due to the phasing right and left. That took me a while, but I am not where I was by a long shot.

#29 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostJustin Kell, on 03 January 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

What mechs do you tend to play (weight range)? Mainly lights. I like to play the Stalker on occasion along with a couple of mediums that I don't play very often at all.
How much damage do you tend to do per match (rough average)? Around 50-100. 150 is really good for me

How many assists do you get (roughly)? Usually around 1-2

How many Kill Most Damage Dealts do you achieve (estimate)? almost never

Components destroyed? very rarely

Scouting and/or flanking? I get 4 or 5 of those unless I die really quickly.

Are you the one who captures the resource points in modes such as Conquest? Yes

Are you the one who tends to get behind the enemy, turning their backs (and guns) away from your teammates (letting them survive longer/get those kills easier)? I try, but usually get spotted and killed pretty fast.

- Light mechs are the hardest to play in the game. If you are one to crunch some numbers though, I tend to find I aim to deal 5 damage per match, per ton invested in a match. For a 30 ton Arctic Cheetah, I would be expecting a damage goal of 150. Getting a little less isn't a big deal. Doing more is a better thing. So, with this goal in mind, you seem to be relatively on track for damage per ton. A little low, but reasonable considering everything.

- For assists, if you team is winning, I would expect more assists than that. Want some easy money and experience? Tap enemy mechs with a little splash laser fire and get those assists. Each assist you get (and you only need to deal a tiny amount of damage to get it) will give you more C-bills and experience.

- You are a mech with only 2 ERLLs, I honestly wasn't expecting much in the way of KMDD results. It is possible, but a lot of work.

- Make sure you lock your targets (if possible) and get their damage readouts. I know you are probably far away from the enemy, but if you see a vulnerable component, try to land most of your laser beam on that location. Better to get a few components destroyed and weaken the enemy, than pealing armor off fresh components.

- Try to keep yourself hidden. As a light mech sniper, you honestly want to sneak to the side or even behind the enemy if possible, and then turn their backs around so your teammates can shoot out their delicate backs. You might even want to consider just holding a lock for your teammates, especially if they have LRMs. For that, dealing damage yourself may actually hinder this, as then they will know someone is behind them... (Lots of different tactics you can try.)

- For conquest mode, don't focus too much on capture. Get enough capture points that your team has more than your enemy. You want 3 capture points, 2 if things are getting hot and the action is thick. Don't try to get all 5, as that just pulls you off your team, meaning your team has 1 less mech for the enemy to shoot at. You need to balance your capture efforts with the combat efforts. Ignore one for too long, and things start to get messy.

- While positioning, try to keep your head down. ECM will help keep your hidden, but it wont stop your mech from being seen. Try not to even shoot till you are in a good position. You don't want to attract attention before your team is engaged. Once your teammates are engaged, the enemy will be too focused on them (hopefully elsewhere) to notice you (for the most part).

- As another note, lasers deal damage over time. I'm certain you've already noticed this, but to get full effect of any laser weapon, you need to keep the laser on the same component for it's full beam duration. Spalshing a target will grant you assists though, so sweeping a beam across a bunch of enemies for those assists isn't bad. But after that, try to keep your beam on target as long as you can. This is how you will cause the bulk of your damage.

Light mechs are often where people try to start, and then get frustrated. Light mechs are one of the hardest to play (right up there with Assaults). You might have better results in a medium mech or a fast heavy mech to be honest. They will change your tactics up a bit, but they can take more damage before giving out on you. Of course, your game and you should play what you like.

I myself am a Medium mech pilot. Place me in just about anything else, and I find I have a harder time getting good performance. I say this because most people play heavy mechs, but that doesn't mean you can't experiment and/or that "the average" will (or will not) work for you. In the end, it's your game, play it as you like.

As a final note: Try and adjusting your game settings to match your needs. As someone else mentioned, mouse sensitivity is default rather high. You may need to drop that to help keep those lasers on target better. Everyone will have their own preference on this setting. Sometimes, you may need to alter a key binding. I have left shift key being a 3rd weapon group for my 2 button mouse. I've placed consumables onto the number keys 1 and 2, being closer to my hand and easier to access. Adjust the game settings to better your own performance. This should help grant faster reactions and better adaptability. Each of these means better game play, as you are using what you need more often and in an easier fashion.

#30 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Justin .

A lot of good advice has been given so far already . I want to add: I would suggest you join a Unit who is willing to train new Players . I know of several he really have a training programm for new recruits running, and are willing to teach, assist and support on an ongoing Basis .

Probably check out the Merc Corps Hiring Hall and post up there . Recruiters of several Units are watching this Thread . Do not be shy to try out several Units ( meaning play with them a while before actually considering whether to join up ) .

#31 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 03 January 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Now playing at 9 to 16 fps

Zounds and shark repellent spray, batman. What are your settings? I'm not even sure this is still valid, but try going to your C:\Users\-username-\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online folder and creating a text file, copying in the contents of below spoilers, and renaming the file "user.cfg".

Spoiler

Also set up exceptions for the MWO executable within whatever your antivirus protection program is.

edit: Justin Kell - I just got the arctic cheetah myself. Try running with one erLL on the shoulder for ranged work and five erSmalls for close in work. Heat-sinks for the rest. Don't get too set on building to one effective range bracket. You'll often get a build that hits hard in it's role but overheats and punishes you for being caught out by an enemy. Lights excel at dictating engagement range, so keep an eye on your weapon ranges and use them when you're getting the most bang for your heat buck.

Edited by no one, 03 January 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#32 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Ok. I've decided to take the advice that's been given several times in this thread.

I'm going to focus on a medium or heavy mech until I'm better at the game. I'm thinking about the hunchback IIC or maybe the Ebon Jaguar (I think that's a heavy). I know I don't like the Centurion or grasshopper very much. I would love any suggestions and maybe possible loadouts as well.

I greatly appreciate all the great advice you guys have given me. I imagine I'll re-read it 4 or 5 times.

#33 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

really can't go too bad piloting a Hunchback IIC
could also grab a hellbringer
might be late, but you may had missed the sale on Ebon Jaguar , and everyone should have a EBJ variant in their mech bay, I just don't care for it's wide arms . . specially around buildings, don't know why I can't just shoot a hole into the building to make room, they seem to be harder to poke for me, and I don't like poking (might be why)

Hellbringers are great, High mounts, ECM

#34 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Based on your answers (see i keep telling you more data = better advice.. it's worth the time and effort to get it all sooner than later)

It sounds like you are running way ahead of your group generally, in a straight line towards where your enemy spawn is likely to be. That will get you scouting, but it will also get you massacred quickly, before you can do much damage.

As a light, you do want to run ahead, but not too far. You also generally want to take a more circuitous route to do what is called flanking =p =) You can't flank when you run straight at the enemy. Of course you will get spotted.

These are some of the reasons why playing lights is difficult at first... if you are going to scout, you do need some fore knowledge.

That said, going to mediums and heavies, still the same stuff. Don't run far ahead or far wide of your group. Don't cluster tightly, but stay in that 300m or so bubble area of the main body of your group. If you try to flank, swing wide. Otherwise, try to keep pace with a few other mechs going about the same speed as you, and above all practice paying attention.

pay attention to how the enemy, as well as your teammates, are playing. Especially in mechs like yours. Learn from watching as well as doing. Don't quit immediately out of a match on death... spectate.

#35 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

I just had two really good (for me) games in a row. Lasted the whole match, got a 9 kill assists in one match, plus a savior kill (not sure how I get that) and a couple of components destroyed. You guys are already a lot of help!!

#36 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

View PostJustin Kell, on 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

I just had two really good (for me) games in a row. Lasted the whole match, got a 9 kill assists in one match, plus a savior kill (not sure how I get that) and a couple of components destroyed. You guys are already a lot of help!!

Savor kill is killing (or assisting in it's death) an enemy as it was shooting an ally who was near death.

I'm happy to hear that you are already seeing improvement. Any more questions, never be afraid to ask. There are plenty of people here willing to help.

#37 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

6 small pulse on the cheeta with ecm, don't narc tag ever, and learn to use jump jets. learn to not shut down (you have 3 alphas then run away, try not to fight where there is no cover for you to bail out) Assuming you know about level mechs and getting 3 of one chassis etc?

#38 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

View Postironnightbird, on 03 January 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

6 small pulse on the cheeta with ecm, don't narc tag ever, and learn to use jump jets. learn to not shut down (you have 3 alphas then run away, try not to fight where there is no cover for you to bail out) Assuming you know about level mechs and getting 3 of one chassis etc?

Yes. I've actually elited the Arctic Cheetah Prime.

#39 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Honestly, i don't like the ARC with ERLL's.. IMO it is not playing to the mechs strengths.

6 SPL's

4ML+ 2 SLP backup

and one of my favs, though i don't do as well in it, but it is fun is a Streak 6 + lasers, sorta my light hunter when my aim is bad :)

all run ECM

another thing i did not see anyone talk about, How are you set up? Are you getting decent Frame rates? What are your graphics settings? There are lots of ways to tweak your settings to boost your FPS. If you are in the 20 range, you will find you will instantly improve if you bump up to 40-50 by tweaking them.

another thing, what about your mouse? have you turn it all the way down in options? Have you slowed it further if needed under your main windows options? I can't tell you how many times i have watched someone in game, as someone says they have such bad aim.. when it is plainly obvious that the person has far to much mouse acceleration which is causing the problem.

Stalkers, you said misery, have you tried ac-20+2 LL's+ 2 MPL's? Do you own the 5M? quad LRM10's with a narc and ML's works great, You can also try boating SRM's though it is a bit slow for pugs and newer folks, but can work. Another one to try is the classic 3 LPL, or 4 LL builds with some missile back up.

#40 Justin Kell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

I haven't done much at all in the way of customizing mechs. Other than adding the large lasers to the ACH-Prime and that was because someone told me to.

I want to learn how to do this myself. Right now I'm using a stock Hunchback IIC-A Here's the loadout from Smurfy http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=367&l=stock

I'd like to have a better chance at spotting the enemy before I walk into them. I'd like this to be a mid/close range fighter (unless that's a bad idea with this mech) and maximize my survivability. I'd love to hear not only your ideas but how you walk through the process of deciding what to do with a mech after you've played with it a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users