27 replies to this topic

#1 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

Please limit the maximum number of noobs you can bring into a match to 1 full Lance.
This is really frustrating for veteran players and for me as a veteran player to carry a match.
Let these Noob Clans go play a Faction match if they want to play with other noobs.
Or is Tier 2 an actual lie?

#2 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

I'll gladly go back to T3/T4 if PGI will let me. Trust me, it ain't fun for us either.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 03 January 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Please limit the maximum number of noobs you can bring into a match to 1 full Lance.
This is really frustrating for veteran players and for me as a veteran player to carry a match.
Let these Noob Clans go play a Faction match if they want to play with other noobs.

hah depending on when you play, tiers are a complete joke. I've done the math elsewhere, but you'll find a "healthy" mix of tiers in every match at the best of times. It's just the range of tiers changes.

In less "prime" times, matches are basically purely random.

Keep in mind, as a T2, you may find yourself in, for example, a T3 match, so you're the odd man out and most players are T4/3.

Edited by Wintersdark, 03 January 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Zero sum PSR

That would at least help, instead of the Oprah style
Posted Image

#5 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

What if I told you that not only is Tier based MM not 'working,' but that all the tiers are lies?

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

View PostBombast, on 03 January 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

What if I told you that not only is Tier based MM not 'working,' but that all the tiers are lies?

Can't be a lie if people like RestosIII wants to fall back to T3-4. Higher tier does have more competition. My stats would skyrocket if I somehow fall to T5.

Shame PGI kept the upwards bias on the PSR system though.

Edited by El Bandito, 03 January 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostBombast, on 03 January 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

What? Do you mean to say that all my past efforts doing this:

have all been for naught? Posted Image

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 January 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Can't be a lie if people like RestosIII wants to fall back to T3-4. Higher tier does have more competition. My stats would skyrocket if I somehow fall to T5.

Shame PGI kept the upwards bias on the PSR system though.

RestosIII is just crazy. I can assure you that, at the very least, I have no business being in the second highest tier in this game, steadily climbing towards Tier 1. An decent skill tracker would have chained my inaccurate *** to the fence at the bottom of Tier 3, at best.

#9 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Im chomping my way through "Tier 3" coming up to tier 2 and I can tell you that I am; A. Not good enough and B. Battles have certainly been getting harder from my point of view as time goes on.

Edited by HGAK47, 03 January 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#10 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Define "noobs".
I see veteran players suiciding on a regular basis because they think a good fight has to be a brave brawl against all odds or that everyone must do exactely what they have in mind without telling anybody, let alone providing arguments why all should do it. So they stomp away alone, die and then blame the others for not doing what they wanted.
I consider such people "noobs", too, no matter how many years or thousands of games they already have on their stats.

Edited by Paigan, 03 January 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#11 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 January 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Zero sum PSR

That would at least help, instead of the Oprah style
Posted Image

No, it wouldn't.

Oh, in theory it would, but in practice populations show that you would always have a huge spread of skill in a match even if we had 100% perfect PSR. There aren't enough people, particularly at the high end of the scale.

It'd be a total waste of time.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 January 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

No, it wouldn't.

Oh, in theory it would, but in practice populations show that you would always have a huge spread of skill in a match even if we had 100% perfect PSR. There aren't enough people, particularly at the high end of the scale.

It'd be a total waste of time.

Not a total

It would improve the match, because the Tier 3s who should be Tier 4s would suddenly not show up AS often
A improvement for the typical match, with the familiar Potato Land showing up every now and then

#13 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostPaigan, on 03 January 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

Define "noobs".
I see veteran players suiciding on a regular basis because they think a good fight has to be a brave brawl against all odds or that everyone must do exactely what they have in mind without telling anybody, let alone providing arguments why all should do it. So they stomp away alone, die and then blame the others for not doing what they wanted.
I consider such people "noobs", too, no matter how many years or thousands of games they already have on their stats.

QFT.

So often, you'll see people immediately head off on with some assorted strategy, while others follow another strategy, both being totally viable strats in and of themselves but with no communication. Usually.not even the slightest attempt to share a plan or direct anyone, then shock when people all went in different directions at the start of a match.

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostBombast, on 03 January 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

RestosIII is just crazy.

Posted Image

You really shouldn't talk about people like that. But seriously, I felt the difference when I hit T2. I used to be able to run my Summoner Prime and get "reasonable" scores. Not any more. Now I'm mostly stuck in my Adder Prime, Warhawk Prime, Linebacker Prime, and Nova Prime to get non-terrible scores due to people actually being capable of aiming+not just standing there as I unload an entire alpha on them without twisting.

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

Let us noobs into group queue. The noob 85% deserve representation in group queue.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 January 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#16 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 03 January 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Not a total

It would improve the match, because the Tier 3s who should be Tier 4s would suddenly not show up AS often
A improvement for the typical match, with the familiar Potato Land showing up every now and then

But if there aren't enough t1/t2, then you're getting t3/t4 anyways. There is no functional difference when there are NEVER enough players in t1/t2 to make pure tier matches in the first place, even when people can just grind up tiers like they can now.

If you've got a 3 tier spread in every match, then more accurate rankings makes no appreciable difference.

Not to say all tiers are the same, but there's a big range in every match. Every match. And if you had more accurate rankings, you'd just have a bigger spread, because there wouldn't be any more people to make a match with.

#17 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thread title is misleading. I thought Novakaine was going to announce his retirement.

#18 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 January 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Let us noobs into group queue. The noob 95% deserve representation in group queue.

I think it would improve group queue significantly if Matchmaker was allowed to pull in a maximum of 1 solo player per team when it's having trouble fitting the various groups into a 12v12. This would be an opt-in of course. Plus it would take care of that awkward 11-man group situation.

Edited by Jman5, 03 January 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#19 RickWildstar

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIscandar

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Zero sum PSR is needed. I went through tier 4 quickly and often was carrying a match if I was piloting a DWF or NTG. When I hit tier 3 my match scores and kdr started dropping, but because my win loss ratio is near 1 my PSR keeps going up. My stats do not justify any PSR advancement for me. While things sometimes are random due to low population, it was VERY noticable when I hit tier 3 and started seeing tier 1s on a more frequent basis. While no one should have to wait a long time for a match, I would think high level players don't want me in their drops (unless they like seal clubbing). I rarely play anything other than solo que

#20 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

tier doesn't need to be indicative of anything other than player experience; quickplay match results aren't granular enough to provide a measure of 'skill,' even in the aggregate.

And besides, there already aren't enough tier 1/2 players queuing at once to populate entire matches with them. I still regularly get matched in QP with people who're obviously new (still figuring out twisting, weapon range bands, etc.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users