Wherefore Art Thou, Flea?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Samyblizs

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

Ah, the Flea... The mech that was built, but never made. Created, yet never pursued. The number of them I slaughtered in my rise to power on Solaris VII in MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries, I cannot recall.

But now, I am filled with nothing but regret... For last night I found myself (once again) playing MWO in my dreams, only this time, for reasons unknown, I was piloting a fully-functioning Flea with a unique 'Hero' loadout.

The map: Canyon Network. I am running through the enormous maze with my lancemate, who was in control of a Locust, scouting for the enemy mechs. However, it seems that I am such a bad scout that not even my subconscious can create a good scenario, as with the next turn we came face-to-face with the enemy's heavy/assault lance. knowing we couldn't run from this, we charged forward, veering away from each other to split their attention. My Flea's four machine guns rang out (two in each side torso) while its center torso-mounted micro-laser spat its ruby-red beam.

But wait! A new weapon system in MWO?? PREPOSTEROUS! But it is true! For my mind has become so bored with the lack of new weapons that it has recreated the most useless and puny weapon that a BattleMech can wield. Brilliant!

The micro-laser's beam is very difficult to see due to the weapon's size. It has a max range of around 150 meters and an optimal range of 90. A full burn within the optimal range deals 1.5 damage and its cooldown time is a little over half a second. As for the heat... Well, let's just say I died before I could overheat.

In the end, this was certainly a new experience, and one I am thankful for. I used to believe Fleas were nothing more than the red shirts of the BattleTech universe, but my eyes are now open. I now deeply wish for the Flea to be put into the game so I can apologize in the only way that matters. Ah, well...

Keep holding on to your dreams, MechWarriors. They are capable of telling us stories and revelations we would never know about ourselves.

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

Catch the dog, grab the flea. Tell the devs you want to have fleas.

Myself, I'm waiting for the Fire Ant.

#3 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

As far as I know, mechs moving faster than 170 kph could theoretically break the game.

The flea can hit a top speed higher than 170 kph which is why it has't been included thus far.

If it is included, don't be surprised if its hard capped @ 170.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

Yea the concept arts of the flea have been done before they knew that a mech with MASC going this far would compromise the games (engine) stability.
Think the word was they even alpha tested it but hitreg and display of the mech got completely wonky without any chance of doing anything about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users