54 replies to this topic

#1 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

I have saw multiple posts on the BLR-2C with 5 LPL being a basic staple for laser vomit. While i was looking at the build i downgraded it a bit for my own sanity (drop one of the LPL and replace another with PPC.. better heat and eliminate the ghost heat i KNOW i'd accidentally trigger way too often. But with just 4 guns.. i started comparing it to the AWS-8T, which overheats slightly faster, but seems to throw out more Dmg faster. Is the BLR-2C favored because of the extra LPL, faster turn radius, or high torso mounts? I can see the biggest advantage being the high torso mounts instead of weapons all being in arms. IF the Li Song info is correct, what i came up with.

The AWS-8T being Alpha at 438m range, 120.1 dmg in 5s, but overheats in 7.3s, taking 19s to cool to 0 from 100% heat. speed 64.2km, torso twist 50.7/sec

The BLR-2C being Alpha at 402m range, 86 dmg in 5s, but overheats in 10.5s, taking 18.6s to cool to 0 from 100% heat. Speed 61.5km, torso twist 62.7/sec

I can fully understand the strength of the weapon locations, and though i am bad at it, the torso twist speed might make a difference (but unsure how much) Do these factors make enough of a difference to offset the faster damage dealing or is there other factors on top of what is "obvious"? (ignoring my "making the wheel a little more square" with weapon layout)

Opinions?

#2 AgBaphomet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

The BLR is favoured because of its high toros mounts. It also can equip a much bigger engine, which makes it faster or more heat efficient.

The Awseome on the other hand can twist its torso further and the energy mounts in the arms giving it some advantage in a bralw or allow it to fight up- or down-hill... a scenario which barely occours.
It also has some nice quirks for energy weapons.

I like the Awesome, but i cannot recommend it :-P

#3 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

AWS-8T ENERGY COOLDOWN: 30.00 % ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -15.00 % ENERGY RANGE: 10.00 % LASER DURATION: -15.00 % MISSILE COOLDOWN: 15.00 % MISSILE VELOCITY: 10.00 % TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 35.00 % STRUCTURE BONUS (CT): 25.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (LT): 18.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (RT): 18.00

BLR-2C STRUCTURE BONUS (CT): 29.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (RT): 18.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (LT): 18.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (RA): 15.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (LA): 15.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (RL): 18.00 STRUCTURE BONUS (LL): 18.00 ENERGY RANGE: 10.00 % MISSILE VELOCITY: 10.00 % ACCELERATION RATE: 35.00 % DECELERATION RATE: 35.00 % TURN RATE: 35.00 % TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 25.00 %

BLR as an 85'er has a small edge in durability just based on tonnage, and then slightly more CT quirks for even more. The 15 structure on the arms is nice, as they soak damage fairly well between shots.

So there ends up being a few things:
  • The much higher hardpoints on the BLR. Really nice hill humper, and can use the shorter obstacles on some maps very effectively for cover.
  • The accel/decel/turning rate quirks really do help it feel more agile. I stick to cover and do a lot of peeking/poking, a job the BLR seems to do better than the AWS, which has to expose both sides fully to bring all weapons to bear.
  • Much higher engine cap on the BLR means you can take a huge XL if you want, and 75+ is way better than 65kph. Just means you have to be more careful to spread incoming damage.
  • Save a few tons by not having to armor the limbs as much.

#4 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

last time i tried a fast battlemaster i loved the speed and maneuverability, but just felt like a moderate medium mech with more armor or a Heavy mech undergunned.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

The AWS-8T looks great on paper but the low slung widely separated lasers make it still pretty mediocre in practice. I leveled it under the current quirks and...meh. BLR all day.

#6 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

pretty much it comes down to the classic weapon placement then.. as i sort of guessed

#7 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostTemu, on 04 January 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

I have saw multiple posts on the BLR-2C with 5 LPL being a basic staple for laser vomit. While i was looking at the build i downgraded it a bit for my own sanity (drop one of the LPL and replace another with PPC..

YOU DID WHAT TO THAT POOR BATTLEMASTER?

You took one of the very best medium ranged trading mechs, a extremely streamlined and minmaxed build - and then you neutered it. But why? I can only assume for the glory of satan.

#8 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

After thinking about it, I'm tempted to run 2xPPC 3xLPL myself and see how it goes. No ghost heat risk, and I've been using peeps like crazy lately (mastering dual PPC summoners, etc.) so I feel like I can actually hit things reliably with them now :P

#9 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

If you're worried about ghost heat on a BLR-2C, you should mix in some medium pulse lasers and a couple LRM5s. At least then you can shoot over cover, soften the enemy up until within LPL range, and you have something for close in work that cycles faster. Also given the overwhelming craze for LRMs in general lately.... taking advantage of the double AMS on the 2C can be useful.

Edited by Dee Eight, 04 January 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#10 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I think the LRM rain is over, if it was ever a thing at the higher tiers. Many people bring it out for easy damage farming in pugs when there's an event (like the stocking stuffer event) but that's no longer a thing. I saw a TON of stock or super-stock builds last few weeks, way more than usual, but still not many LRMs. OK I did see a Scorch with 2xLRM20 and 2xMPL, plus about a million tons of ammo... but still not many LRM boats despite the 150+ matches I played during the stocking stuffer event.

#11 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

Awesome? Hmmmmm...
LRMS? Hmmmm...

Awesome 8R with lrm 15?
Fugg yeah.
I'm not a lrm fan, but i'm a fan or the 8R lurm boat.
On the op question: BLR all the way, it is just the overall better platform.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 04 January 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

If you're worried about ghost heat on a BLR-2C, you should mix in some medium pulse lasers and a couple LRM5s. At least then you can shoot over cover, soften the enemy up until within LPL range, and you have something for close in work that cycles faster. Also given the overwhelming craze for LRMs in general lately.... taking advantage of the double AMS on the 2C can be useful.

I love the part where you took a mech that takes a modicum of skill to play effectively, and adjusted such that no amount of skill will allow it to be played effectively. And you also wasted two tons on equipment that is only situationally effective (ie., only works against scrubs that bring LRMs.)

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

View PostTarogato, on 19 February 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

I love the part where you took a mech that takes a modicum of skill to play effectively, and adjusted such that no amount of skill will allow it to be played effectively. And you also wasted two tons on equipment that is only situationally effective (ie., only works against scrubs that bring LRMs.)

Its the classic "know your enemy"... if you know you'll be facing T1 tryhards, you bring one thing, if you are tater huntin'... you bring something else.

#14 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 19 February 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Its the classic "know your enemy"... if you know you'll be facing T1 tryhards, you bring one thing, if you are tater huntin'... you bring something else.

If you face T1 tryhards, you bring one thing, if you are tater huntin', you bring the same thing and wreck face even harder

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Have you seen his "my builds are good threads"? Those are amazing.

#16 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

I love the part where you took a mech that takes a modicum of skill to play effectively, and adjusted such that no amount of skill will allow it to be played effectively.

Apparently I have the skill needed then. Perhaps you should limit your evaluations to your own skills and not make assumptions about others anymore.

BATTLEMASTER BLR-2C 100 60 40 1.50 80 60 1.33 32,930 112,184 09:26:06

And you also wasted two tons on equipment that is only situationally effective (ie., only works against scrubs that bring LRMs.)

WHICH IS LIKE 50% of the solo queue people who play QP matches lately. Are you actually PLAYING the same game as the rest of us ? It also works against the folks who bring streak builds. Or bring NARCs. I love how many folks who whine about putting tonnage to AMS are also the first ones who run to hide next to a mech that brought AMS. And before you say "radar dep module" in response... remember that requires breaking LOS to work. It doesn't do anything if the spotter is behind you, you're being tagged or narced, or if there's no cover available.

Edited by Dee Eight, 19 February 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#17 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 19 February 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

About as good as his submitted champion builds, they had tater written all over them. His justifications are awesome too.

wOW... you FINALLY made it to Tier 1... see grinding even pays off for forum warriors eventually.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 February 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Apparently I have the skill needed then. Perhaps you should limit your evaluations to your own skills and not make assumptions about others anymore.

Assumption was correct?

Cause here is mine:

Posted Image

Look at that those DMG numbers, the KDR... You won't get that potato-ing with LRMs.

View PostDee Eight, on 19 February 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

wOW... you FINALLY made it to Tier 1... see grinding even pays off for forum warriors eventually.

You;

1. Have more forum posts than he does
2. Carl is T1 and you are still T3 - and that is after playing a far higher amount of games that Carl has as well

It seems grinding only works if you actually perform well in matches. With a 150 match score average, that is not performing well.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 19 February 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#19 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 February 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

WHICH IS LIKE 50% of the solo queue people who play QP matches lately. Are you actually PLAYING the same game as the rest of us ? It also works against the folks who bring streak builds. Or bring NARCs. I love how many folks who whine about putting tonnage to AMS are also the first ones who run to hide next to a mech that brought AMS. And before you say "radar dep module" in response... remember that requires breaking LOS to work. It doesn't do anything if the spotter is behind you, you're being tagged or narced, or if there's no cover available.

Your 2c stats are shite. Here's mine with the 5LPL XL 350:

Posted Image

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 19 February 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#20 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Dee Eight
Posted Image

Carl Vickers
Posted Image

Git Gud is all that needs to be said.

Edit, just to make it easier to see how bad you really are as I am decidedly average.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 19 February 2017 - 06:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users