- - - - -

Best Medium Clan Mech For An Old Veteran?

51 replies to this topic

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 05 January 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

When I left the game years ago, everyone equiped ECM in my gaming group doesn't outweight ECM still pretty much anything else? I mean for 1 / 1,5 you get so much value?

Do you guys know a guide or something on FP? I don't wanna join anyone without knowing the consequeces and I read the ingame description, but ofc there is always more to it.

And thanks again.

ECM recieved a substantial nerf when its radius was reduced to 90m. It's still a no-brainer to equip if you have the option, but the best 'mechs in most weight classes do without it. The Kodiak-3 comes to mind. As well, the presence of ECM did not outweigh the inferiority of most Clan Light 'mechs prior to the advent of the Arctic Cheetah.

#22 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

There may also be additional counters to ECM now, depending on when you were playing. (ER)PPC hits overload it for a few seconds; NARC cancels it on the affected 'mech for the entire 20-second duration; Clan Active Probes are longer-ranged than the Beagle, and UAVs also burn through enemy ECM. With the advent of the Clans, Streak-6 boats became viable (though inferior to a properly configured brawler,) and CAP is far more common - ditto with the recent rebalancing of LRMs.

#23 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for this well of information!

#24 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

For FW I'd say the Hunchback IIC or Huntsman are the best options. High mounts, plenty of pod space and jump jets.

Grab 3 HBKs for a Ballistic, Missile and Energy variant (skip the C) and enjoy all the fun of building an IS Battlemech with the (generally) superior Clan tech!

For Huntsman, I'd recommend the B, C and P because they give you most of the best omnipods. The Hero is great if you like SRMs.

#25 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 05 January 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

For FW I'd say the Hunchback IIC or Huntsman are the best options. High mounts, plenty of pod space and jump jets.

Grab 3 HBKs for a Ballistic, Missile and Energy variant (skip the C) and enjoy all the fun of building an IS Battlemech with the (generally) superior Clan tech!

For Huntsman, I'd recommend the B, C and P because they give you most of the best omnipods. The Hero is great if you like SRMs.

I love my Huntsman B and Prime. The Hero is actually decent at SRMs, but the P does SRMs far better I find (not that I own it, but I would imagine so due to the hardpoints being on the arms instead of the torsos). Though I have my Pakhet set up with SRMs (4 SRM4s and 2 ERLLs), I would imagine it might actually work better with LRMs instead (4 LRM5s?). (PS: The Pakhet is my favorite Huntsmen, followed by the B.)

Just my 2 C-bills worth. If anyone cared.

#26 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

With the new weight limit for scouting, maybe not a stormcrow... if you wanna play faction a lot.

Hunchback IIc is very good, but i'm waiting for the huntsman, look like fun !

Edited by Damnedtroll, 05 January 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#27 Ritz bitz

Rookie

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

If you're looking for something that performs like a medium, but with a little bit of a lower profile, I always recommend the Adders.

#28 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

Anything other than the Ice Ferret.

#29 Todd Kuuf

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 05 January 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

There may also be additional counters to ECM now, depending on when you were playing. (ER)PPC hits overload it for a few seconds; NARC cancels it on the affected 'mech for the entire 20-second duration; Clan Active Probes are longer-ranged than the Beagle, and UAVs also burn through enemy ECM. With the advent of the Clans, Streak-6 boats became viable (though inferior to a properly configured brawler,) and CAP is far more common - ditto with the recent rebalancing of LRMs.

I noticed earlier today, that my mediums and/or Large ER or Pulse lasers also does a quick cancel of their ECM, I hadn't used smalls so didn't add that, but I would guess they would also.

just saying it seems not just PPC's do it

Edited by Todd Kuuf, 07 January 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#30 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostTodd Kuuf, on 07 January 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

I noticed earlier today, that my mediums and/or Large ER or Pulse lasers also does a quick cancel of their ECM, I hadn't used smalls so didn't add that, but I would guess they would also.

just saying it seems not just PPC's do it

They shouldn't. You were probably observing a coincidental timing. Other ECM, BAP, PPCs, NARC, UAVs...a bunch of things affect ECM visibility (not all cancel), but not lasers.

#31 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

Heros can't change pods or can they?

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 07 January 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Heros can't change pods or can they?

Omnimech heroes can. The hero bonus is tied to the CT.

#33 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

To continue on the hero mech question... There is no way to purchase just the hero mech pods separately? I would like to have my Huntsman A with some torso missile points (hero mech side torso pods), but I didn't see them as an option. Then I tested with the Night Gyr, and the hero pods did not show up.

I probably answer my own question here, but I just wanted to confirm (because I am a bot... I mean a human and am prone to mistakes).

#34 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Only way to get hero pods is to buy the entire hero

#35 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 07 January 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

Only way to get hero pods is to buy the entire hero

Which, if that's the case... Why would I need to move them?

Well. That doesn't help me much, but it's kinda understandable. Wished I could just by those pods for some MC, instead of the whole hero (which I already own one of). Was going to place them in my A and make an LRM Huntsman (because I can).

That A is being an issue. I can't find a good build for it yet...

#36 Ebins

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Storm crow is the best all around medium, imo. No, they do not have jump jets, but can mount an incredible array of weaponry. The Nova is nice as long as you watch the heat. I have found the Huntsman to be pretty fragile. On the whole though, I would suggest going for the heavy Linebacker. It has the same maneuverability as a medium but the staying power of a heavy. I rather enjoy it.

If you want to get in some practice sessions, message me and we can set something up. I would be happy to help a returning player. Welcome back!

<o

Edited by Ebins, 08 January 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#37 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 05 January 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

With the new weight limit for scouting, maybe not a stormcrow... if you wanna play faction a lot.

Hunchback IIc is very good, but i'm waiting for the huntsman, look like fun !

I may be a IS dog but i do love my Clam Huntsman. It's rather nice. I'd wager it'd be a powerhouse in Scouting.

#38 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 09 January 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

I may be a IS dog but i do love my Clam Huntsman. It's rather nice. I'd wager it'd be a powerhouse in Scouting.

With the new scouting limits for the Clans being 50 tons instead of 55 tons... That is very likely. Either that or the Nova with 10 ERS(P)Ls.

Personally, the Nova has better quirks (what seems to influence a lot of people's minds), but I feel the Huntsmen has reasonable hit boxes, hard points and pod space. As a Nova and Huntsmen pilot, I can say that movement and taking damage wise, the two mechs perform reasonably similar. (Minus the Nova's health quirks. Have they been removed in the last patch? I can't recall.) Nova has weaker/easier to hit arms, and the Huntsmen has larger legs but overall higher mounts. About the only difference between the two hit box wise.

I will comment that I have fallen completely in love with my Huntsmen for Clans, and when my Unit is IS I still love my Crabs.

#39 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

Given you mentioned that you had mastered the Hellbringers, if you are looking at an invasion deck with three of these you will only have 45 tons to play with the current 240 ton limit for the Clan.
Only the Shadowcat and Ice Ferret fit that tonnage.
Mind you, that tonnage limit flips and flops so anything could happen.

If you are running all the Hellbringers with ECM, then continuing that trend with the Shadowcat may be the way to go and you can probably outfit it very similar to the Hellbringers as well (ie. sniper or brawler).

I personally like the Ice Ferret for scouting... and it's about the only place I use that mech... but as everyone else has mentioned there are several good medium options and with the 50 ton scouting limit for the Clan the only one you can't currently run is the Stormcrow which is otherwise a solid choice and a good option in an invasion deck also.

#40 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostTesunie, on 07 January 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Which, if that's the case... Why would I need to move them?

Well. That doesn't help me much, but it's kinda understandable. Wished I could just by those pods for some MC, instead of the whole hero (which I already own one of). Was going to place them in my A and make an LRM Huntsman (because I can).

That A is being an issue. I can't find a good build for it yet...

I like the Huntsman also and have also struggled with builds for the A and B variants.
The Phaket as an SRM build is good fun, though very hot, the HMN-P with some Large Pulse and a bunch of SRMs works well and I've had a lot of fun with a triple UAC2 build on the Prime. Running the HMN-C with 3x LRM 10s has been fairly good.
But the A and B ... just not finding a happy build with these at the moment.

When the HMN-P becomes available for c-bills we will be able to combine the arms from that and the torso from the HMN-C to have 6 missile hard points. That should still be pretty decent as a missile boat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users