- - - - -

Best Medium Clan Mech For An Old Veteran?

51 replies to this topic

#41 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

View Post50 50, on 09 January 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

I like the Huntsman also and have also struggled with builds for the A and B variants.
The Phaket as an SRM build is good fun, though very hot, the HMN-P with some Large Pulse and a bunch of SRMs works well and I've had a lot of fun with a triple UAC2 build on the Prime. Running the HMN-C with 3x LRM 10s has been fairly good.
But the A and B ... just not finding a happy build with these at the moment.

When the HMN-P becomes available for c-bills we will be able to combine the arms from that and the torso from the HMN-C to have 6 missile hard points. That should still be pretty decent as a missile boat.

The A, I can't help you with at all. Right now I have it with 2 LPLs and giving that a try. I've tried 2 MPLs, an AC10 (LB and Ultra) and SRM6. I've even tried a 4 ERLL build (which worked on the prime due to quirks, barely, but not on a no quirked Huntsman).

The B though... That's my favorite (a title shared with my hero Huntsman rather equally). Before the Ultra nerf, I had it set up with 3 ERMLs, UAC10 and a TC lvl 4. Did well. Now I've been forced to change it to an LBx10 and 3 ERMLs and no TC at all. Lets just say... It got even deadlier. (Adjust armor as desired.)

By all means, if you wish to try my B build, go ahead. I get an average damage score (combined with the UAC10 days) of 301 per match. If you like it, keep it. My build is no secret.

#42 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Ah yes. Tried that at one point, figured it might be a bit like playing an Enforcer, not that I have one of those. Better than what I was trying out anyway.
Now there is a rare mech! When was the last time anyone saw an Enforcer?

The quirks on the A are not much good with the hard points it has so I've swapped torsos around and am using it a bit like what I thought a hunchback (don't have these either) build would be with 2 large pulse and 2 medium lasers in the torso at the moment. Has got the room to put a bunch of extra lasers in the arms but I've got it chock full of heatsinks and a TC1 currently and had a reasonable match with it last night.

#43 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

View Post50 50, on 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

The quirks on the A are not much good with the hard points it has...

Oh. I agree with that. The A has just been one stubborn variant that nothing I do with seems to work. Right now I have it set up with 5 MPLs in the arms (changed all pods around), and a single ERLL to fill in the remaining weight I would have had left over (because I ran out of crit slots again). Tempted to do what my Prime has, which is 4 ERSLs, 2 SPLs and an UAC10 (or rather now an LBx10 because the Ultra keeps jamming every other shot and staying jammed for what feels like forever).

I'm happy to see someone seems to be having some progress. I've tried a pure LPL build with it. Not enough damage quick enough. I did well in the single match I used it in, but only because the enemy effectively ignored me for a long time... Posted Image

#44 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

Still reading the thread. Thanks!

#45 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

I've ended up with two different Prime builds on my Huntsmans. I'm using a 3x UAC2 build on the special after swapping omnipods around, has 4 ERSMLs as well. Have found that to be a surprising amount of fun as a Dakka suppression build.
The other Prime I've left with all it's Prime pods to get the quirk bonus but decided to go with some ERMLs and a NARC. Might also have an sSRM as well..... don't think I've actually used the build at this stage. :P

Running the HMN-A with just the two LPLs can work, but it still manages to run hot and it's just not enough bang for your buck. I found it rather lack luster. I tried 2 LPLs, 2 ERMLs and 5 SPLs.... that's pretty good if you want to fry an egg on the cockpit controls. Have dropped the SPLs in favour of additional heatsinks but have only had one match with this loadout so far.

I must say the HMN-B with the LB10x and 3 ERMLs works quite well and is quite a cool running build. Finally mastered that variant the other night.

@WolvesX
Sorry, the thread kind of turned into a mech build discussion which is fun but not on topic. :D

If you are looking for a medium to fill your drop deck for Faction Play with your Hellbringer, Hellbringer, Hellbringer then I would suggest the Shadowcat as the best option as it fills the 240 ton limit nicely and would let you take a full ECM equipped deck.
Plus the Shadowcat does quite well in the sniper role or as an SRM skirmisher which can match up to similar builds for the Hellbringer so you get a similar style of play.

If it's a medium for Scouting where the limit is 50 tons at the moment, then the Huntsman, Nova and Hunchback are all pretty solid options for different reasons. I rather like the Ice Ferret for it's speed and it can be set up nicely as an SRM build.

Otherwise the Stormcrow would still be top choice for many.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

View Post50 50, on 12 January 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

I must say the HMN-B with the LB10x and 3 ERMLs works quite well and is quite a cool running build. Finally mastered that variant the other night.

I'm happy you have enjoyed it. It's one of my favorites... Okay my favorite tied with my Hero mech with 2 ERLLs and 4 SRM4s... I can't choose which one that I like more! Is it possible to like them equally? Posted Image

#47 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

I sold my a variant and kept the omni pods lol. Yeah it's not as good as the others.

#48 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

I settles for the Hunchback IIC, all variants. Thank for all teh advice!

Could it be that you drift to T1 no matter waht you do?

I started about 2 weeks playing again and dispite my personal opinion that I suck big time, I keep drifting up & up in the tiers, T2 now. Does that skill system actually work?

#49 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 17 January 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Could it be that you drift to T1 no matter waht you do?

I started about 2 weeks playing again and dispite my personal opinion that I suck big time, I keep drifting up & up in the tiers, T2 now. Does that skill system actually work?

The PSR doesn't actually rate player skill for the most part. It is highly dependent upon winning the match first just like Elo. However, there is an "unless you do this" clause on a loss, which is to get a really high match score.

Then, on top of that, it's easier to earn PSR than it is to lose it. As far as we understand, you rarely if ever will be able to lose more PSR than you can gain in a single match.

So, yes and no? One can be in the lower tiers for a long time if not forever. But it's harder to actually go down once you have gone up as a general rule. If you are causing 500+ damage, you probably will be fine even if your team loses. If your team wins, just get a match score above 100 and you are all set.

If PSR actually measured skill, it wouldn't care if your team had won or lost (at least not so much), and instead would determine PSR increase or dropping based on your match score. (Though, even match score may need to be altered a bit. There are some matches where the VIP of the match can get a very low score, because they did what was needed for victory, not what was needed for killing all the enemy mechs.)

In the end, I'd just like to note that no system will probably ever get things "perfect".

#50 MaximusPayne

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 96 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

I prefer the Stormcrow. Regardless of your choice of weapons, there's a variant with your name on it. I have a UAC/laser, all lasers, and missile/laser builds I love to run. Plus, the scrow can take a serious beating for a 55 tonner.

#51 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

View Post50 50, on 11 January 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

The quirks on the A are not much good with the hard points it...

Did you ever find a good build for the A? I've recently found a build that I like for the A. It's a bit of a mixed build and does have LRMs. I know that will automatically throw some people off, but I've been having steady results with it so far. I have each arm on it's own fire group (for lasers) and then a third fire group for the LRMs specifically.

#52 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

I would say the Storm Crow or go up to Heavy and play the Timberwolf.

The Shadow Cat requires quite a bit of tactical understanding of flow of play, otherwise your a liability to your team if you only and always snipe from 600-800 meter. Everyone needs to know how to share armor, and Shadow Cats don't do that well from 700 meters away.

Enjoi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users