- - - - -

Best Medium Clan Mech For An Old Veteran?

51 replies to this topic

#1 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hey there fellow Mechwarriors!

I just wanted to ask what is the most effecient medium mech of the clan mechs is. I'm an old veteran that started a few days ago again.

Maybe the "Shadow Cat"?

Thanks for your help and imput! Any hints & tipps on the current meta are very appreciated!

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

Shadowcat is a personal fav, however I would suggest either the Stormcrow or Hunchback IIC

#3 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 04 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Shadowcat is a personal fav, however I would suggest either the Stormcrow or Hunchback IIC

These 3 are the best.

SHD for speed, SCR or HBK for firepower.

The others aren't bad though if something else catches your eye.

Edited by Roughneck45, 04 January 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 04 January 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

These 3 are the best.

SHD for speed, SCR or HBK for firepower.

The others aren't bad though if something else catches your eye.

It's true. Clan mediums are much stronk as a group. For my money, the HBK-IIC stands out as the clear best, but all of them have something going for them.

#5 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I got the Hellbringer and mastered it, now I'm looking for the most viable mech for FP.

Would you say its more the SCR or the SHD?

Thank you for your answers!

#6 Zap97

• Pip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

The shadocat is a pretty good mech to run around. I have a lot of fun with a full mg build. But if you go by meta standards, Pick the hunchback.

#7 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Depending on your FW application, and intent, each clan medium will help you differently. I happen to be very fond of the nova prime (the other variants are really style specific and can be a pain to learn if you aren't open to them). If you drop the total laser count to 10 medium lasers (5 on each arm), you can really cause some damage. That being said, you also need to be aware that you can't use it as a front line brawler as they are very durable. Despite that weakness, if you hang in the middle of the pack or try working angles the enemy isn't paying much attention to, you can gut them before they realize whats going on.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

I really enjoy my Nova. Load it with 6 small pulse and MGs. Sorry, I forgot that you were interested in FP. That Nova build probably isn't the best for FP.

Edited by mailin, 04 January 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#9 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

View Postmailin, on 04 January 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

I really enjoy my Nova. Load it with 6 small pulse and MGs. Sorry, I forgot that you were interested in FP. That Nova build probably isn't the best for FP.

How is the heat on the 6 small pulse? I got really discouraged from the Nova S with the 6 stock medium pulse becasue its a heat night mare

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hunchback IIC, and wait til next month for the C-bill version of the Huntsman, which for me feels like a souped up Shadow Hawk w/Clan tech.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

People may disagree with me, but I've been having great results with my Huntsmen. I have also done really well with my Novas as well. (But I don't own any other Clan mediums, so my opinion here may be biased.)

#12 Gilgamecc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 04 January 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

How is the heat on the 6 small pulse? I got really discouraged from the Nova S with the 6 stock medium pulse becasue its a heat night mare

6 SPL or ERSL on a Nova or similar isn't bad at all, if you pair it with MGs and some low-heat harasser weapon like a UAC/5 or LBX-5 you can ding some dongs dramatically.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Don't use stock builds. They're designed for a different game and are almost universally bad for MWO - and none of them are optimal.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostTesunie, on 04 January 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

People may disagree with me, but I've been having great results with my Huntsmen. I have also done really well with my Novas as well. (But I don't own any other Clan mediums, so my opinion here may be biased.)

The Huntsman is an excellent 'Mech. It trades away the excessive speed of the Stormcrow for jump jets and an additional full ton of pod weight. You have both ferro-fibrous armor and endo-steel, along with the mobility of jump jets and hardpoints to do most anything you want. The only drawback is that it's still MC-only. Otherwise, a highly versatile and deadly Omnimech.

#15 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:10 AM

When I left the game years ago, everyone equiped ECM in my gaming group doesn't outweight ECM still pretty much anything else? I mean for 1 / 1,5 you get so much value?

Do you guys know a guide or something on FP? I don't wanna join anyone without knowing the consequeces and I read the ingame description, but ofc there is always more to it.

And thanks again.

#16 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

I agree to, saving the C-Bills for the Huntsman, which comes out on the 7th of Feb

#17 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'm excited for the Huntsman.
The Hunchie IIC is a perennial favorite, but the Novas are really strong; if I see a 12 ERSL or some combination of ERSL/SPL/MGs boated on one getting close, it's a top target.

#18 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

As far as mediums go all clan mediums are potent in the right hands. Each one has certain playstyle and niche in their own reguard. If you like hill humping and pop tarting take the hunchback iic, shadowcat. If you like brawling go with the nova, stormcrow or huntsman. If you like harassing slash speed take the ice ferret.

#19 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

Really heat is not much of an issue with 6 small pulse. I have three weapon groups set up. One for all small pulse, one for all mgs, and a third for small pulse only chain fired.

Just know that you don't have range, so you need to be patient with this build and sort of let the enemy get within range. Typically what happens is that your ranged buddies have already been plinking away at their armor, so the small pulses and MGs really tear through the mechs.

#20 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

My favorite Builds for the Stormcrow:

1 LBX 20
6 ER Small Lasers
or
All Streak SRM 6's (for dealing with light mech harassers)

Mad Dog is pretty good for Faction play IMHO due to good tonnage and hardness to damage output ratio... But its not a medium, however just 5 tons more than the stormcrow.

Don't discount the Viper if you're considering mediums. It is as fast as a light, but you can still get some guns on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users