20 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Apparently the filming for Star Wars 8 is already underway. I was surprised in 7 that Han got knocked off the way he did instead of meeting his end with Fett like in the books. Still looking forward to it.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Never read the books, but I'm curious what they are going to do about Leah. Will they replace Fisher or just leave the character out?

#3 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostBilbo, on 04 January 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

Never read the books, but I'm curious what they are going to do about Leah. Will they replace Fisher or just leave the character out?

Leia's filming was already finished for episode 8. Which either means they will kill her off in the film, or she will be killed off screen in Episode IX.

View PostKalimaster, on 04 January 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Apparently the filming for Star Wars 8 is already underway. I was surprised in 7 that Han got knocked off the way he did instead of meeting his end with Fett like in the books. Still looking forward to it.

Really? You were surprised? You must have been the only person. I saw it coming a mile away. I mean the minute they said Kylo was his son it was like "Kylo will kill him."

Also Harrison Ford wanted his character killed off in Episode 5 and 6.

And the books aren't canon. You can forget about them.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:30 AM

Cash cow wars 8, because theres a fanbase to be milked.

#5 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 January 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Cash cow wars 8, because theres a fanbase to be milked.

I said that about the Expanded Universe, prequels, and... literally everything that wasn't the first original 3 films.

#6 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

I hope JJ Abrams does better with the star wars reboots than he did with the star trek reboots.

#7 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

The princess will be missed. How they will deal with her death I don't know. Game of thrones meets Shuttle disaster.

#8 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 05 January 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

I hope JJ Abrams does better with the star wars reboots than he did with the star trek reboots.

Oh yeah, he did so poorly with those... not at all.

I'll just say "Odd Numbered Star Trek films" and by default JJ's reboots are better.

He is also not involved with Star Wars 8.

View PostKalimaster, on 06 January 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

The princess will be missed. How they will deal with her death I don't know. Game of thrones meets Shuttle disaster.

she lives on through her films

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 04 January 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

Episode 8 started filming months ago, I think in May, principal photography is ether finished or close to..

unfortunately Disney did away with the old (and in my opinion far superior to the new) canon when they purchased Star Wars, nothing except the 6 films and the Clone Wars TV series from before the disney takeover is concidered canon at current, however they do seem to be "borrowing" many elements from the old Expanded Universe

#10 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:41 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 06 January 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Episode 8 started filming months ago, I think in May, principal photography is ether finished or close to..

unfortunately Disney did away with the old (and in my opinion far superior to the new) canon when they purchased Star Wars, nothing except the 6 films and the Clone Wars TV series from before the disney takeover is concidered canon at current, however they do seem to be "borrowing" many elements from the old Expanded Universe

And all novelizations of the films are canon as well. They also made Knights of the Old Republic stuff canon again (or many parts of it, like Malachor, Darth Bane etc).

Also the previous canon had maybe 10 good books. Tops.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostMarineTechs Protege, on 06 January 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Also the previous canon had maybe 10 good books. Tops.

then, assuming you have read most of them we have diferant opinions on what makes a good book, which is fine, after all if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.

out of hundreds of books (my bookcase has about 200 Star Wars books) I have not read a bad one and I would concider 40+ to be very good books, including everything by Zahn and Stackpole, most of the books by Aliston, the Jedi Acidemy triligy, most of the Vong saga, and the majority of the books set after that, the Republic/Imperial commando series.

#12 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

then, assuming you have read most of them we have diferant opinions on what makes a good book, which is fine, after all if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.

out of hundreds of books (my bookcase has about 200 Star Wars books) I have not read a bad one and I would concider 40+ to be very good books, including everything by Zahn and Stackpole, most of the books by Aliston, the Jedi Acidemy triligy, most of the Vong saga, and the majority of the books set after that, the Republic/Imperial commando series.

I consider the Vong saga (sans the first book) to be a prime example of how not to write a series.

I do love the Zahn books (except Outbound Flight meh). I wasn't crazy about most of Stackpole's works in the series. The Jedi Academy Trilogy was okay. Actually I hold the Han Solo trilogy as the pinnacle of Star Wars novels myself, followed closely by Rogue Planet. I have read a good 150 of the Star Wars books. I only bothered to buy about 15 of them.

Of all the Star Wars books I have read the only ones I thought were actually worth my time were:

1. Hutt Gambit
2. Last command
3. Paradise Snare
4. Rebel Dawn
5. Rogue Planet
6. Heir to the Empire
7. Dark Force Rising
8. Hand of Thrawn duo
9. Tatoonie Ghost
10. Labyrinth of Evil

I consider a couple others to be okay light reads. The rest of them make me wish I was reading something else. Surprisingly I thought Vector Prime was rather good. And then I thought the rest of the series was a gradual decay of obsolete plot ideas and confusing and pointless Force trivia to do with the Vong and the utter stupidity of the Jason and Vergere plot crap.

That's how most of the other books were to me also. Irrelevant and not needed imo. But as you said, to each his own.

I just consider it to be a good thing that Disney started fresh. Gives new authors a chance to add to Star Wars.

Edited by MarineTechs Protege, 07 January 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#13 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

I consider it a good thing because the extended universe is packed, and allows people new to the Star Wars Universe to pick up the new books and know where it all stands.

But I don't think people should stop making books for the now not canon extended universe.

I wish they did a film or a series in the Old Republic era.

#14 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

View PostMarineTechs Protege, on 05 January 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

I said that about the Expanded Universe, prequels, and... literally everything that wasn't the first original 3 films.

depends on how well the stories are made around the other original characters.

Darth vaders origins are of course an interetsing stuff to make a proper movie about. But episode I was just a bad general cinema idea infused with some star wars. the other 2 were a bit better, btu I really have trouble with the current generations general way of makign movies. too rpedictable, too badly throught through, too much of the usual and bad concept they use and just infuse it with a bit of the lore of whatever movie they can grab.

#15 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 09 January 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

depends on how well the stories are made around the other original characters.

Darth vaders origins are of course an interetsing stuff to make a proper movie about. But episode I was just a bad general cinema idea infused with some star wars. the other 2 were a bit better, btu I really have trouble with the current generations general way of makign movies. too rpedictable, too badly throught through, too much of the usual and bad concept they use and just infuse it with a bit of the lore of whatever movie they can grab.

Wtf... Episode 2 was probably the worst in the trilogy of prequels (the only thing I rate lower than Episode 2 in Star Wars, is the ******* Holiday Special). While Episode 1 had Jar Jar, Episode 2 had the worst script ever written in the history of Star Wars. It had some of the worst acting, in the history of star wars. And honestly it was so boring that not even the 5 minutes of cool Jedi action could make up for it. And then they ruin it further with a battle with Dooku which looked horrible, was uninspired, and just looked like a couple people flailing around, and then a battle between some old guy and Yoda the tree frog.

Not to mention Star Wars 2 and 3 started the line of continuity errors which was already haunting this franchise in the Expanded Universe (looking at you Vong, the ones who are simultaneously part of the force, absent from the force, and cut off from the force, which is a major reason I thought the Vong books were stupid. Couldn't make up their damn minds), but this time with a vengeance.

I like the Vong books better than Episode 2. And they just might be my least favorite Star Wars series of books ever made.

Expanded Universe needed a reboot. This universe was a convoluted, continuity slaughtering mess.

Edited by MarineTechs Protege, 09 January 2017 - 02:38 AM.

#16 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostMarineTechs Protege, on 06 January 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Oh yeah, he did so poorly with those... not at all.

I'll just say "Odd Numbered Star Trek films" and by default JJ's reboots are better.

He is also not involved with Star Wars 8.

MarineTechProtege.

Defending JJ Abrams as if he were MarackDrock's brother.

#17 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 09 January 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

MarineTechProtege.

Defending JJ Abrams as if he were MarackDrock's brother.

No. I personally don't think there has been a good movie to come out since The Pianist. But I greatly prefer JJ's movies over the Star Wars Prequels that are so bad, my *** could do something better with its ****.

#18 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostMarineTechs Protege, on 09 January 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

No. I personally don't think there has been a good movie to come out since The Pianist. But I greatly prefer JJ's movies over the Star Wars Prequels that are so bad, my *** could do something better with its ****.

One thing about star wars, star trek and sci fi in general.

When an author or screenwriter can't come up with a good plot.

They create a superweapon or race of super powerful beings to try and make their storyline appear more cool than it actually is.

One author tries to one up another author's work. To create a better or more powerful superweapon/super powerful race.

Eventually things get ridiculous.

I think star wars 7 might be reaching that point.

They created Rey who learned her force abilities insanely quickly to try to one up all of the previous sw genre.

They tried to one up the death star and all other existing superweapons by creating that whatever it was that destroyed multiple planets in episode 7.

Do these moves add to a good plot the way the deathstar did.

Or are they overcompensating for what could turn out to be a weak plotline?

Hopefully things won't get too ridiculous in 8.

#19 MarineTechs Protege

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 09 January 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

They create a superweapon or race of super powerful beings to try and make their storyline appear more cool than it actually is.

One author tries to one up another author's work. To create a better or more powerful superweapon/super powerful race.

Vong in a nutshell.

They created Rey who learned her force abilities insanely quickly to try to one up all of the previous sw genre.

No it isn't. First off: Anakin was able to podrace as a 12 year old human boy. He had special molecules that let him basically take on anyone he wanted (unless there is a hill... in which case apparently hills are his nemesis). Let's also talk about how Luke managed to learn to use his lightsaber, block blaster bolts, and then use the force to launch proton torpedoes in the span of only 4 days of training in total (the distance from Tatooine to Alderaan). Yeah that Deus mechanism has been around since Star Wars was made buddy. The difference is that she was just able to be more flashy and has ****.

They tried to one up the death star and all other existing superweapons by creating that whatever it was that destroyed multiple planets in episode 7.

No they didn't. They didn't even come close to beating out Sun Crusher. Or you know... the Yuuzhan Vong. But if we go strictly current lore, it did one up the death star. By a factor of around 5 planets and the entire republic fleet. So ya know... beats what both of the old Death Stars did.

I mean when we get down to it, Episode 4 had a pretty weak plot. It was only made good because of special effects, interesting universe, and sexy Harrison Ford. In reality Star Wars 4 boils down to the biggest cliche plotline ever contrived: "Family dies, main character is the special chosen dude of some kind, gets an old mentor, mentor dies, beat up the baddies with deus ex machina power of some kind."

This was a cliche even when this movie came out.

If you consider Episode 7 ridiculous then you must have the weirdest standards ever, because it is about 90% less ridiculous than a good majority of the Star Wars novels IMO. One word: Abeloth.

Ridiculous overload right there.

#20 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

yep very much what happens to most universes. Kidna sad if you think about it, because star wars has such a large universe they coul tell so many different stories they don't have to follow the bigger, better , more awesome concept. But thats easier than actually making some proper chacters within an own working "subuniverse".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users