16 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Ok, after starting 4.1 with a somewhat open mind, played tonight and got 2 straight hours of conquest mode with varying maps.

Please tell us all who in god's name came up with this mode rotation?
This is beyond stupid! If we as a unit wanted to play conquest all evening, we would have selected team quick play, took all light mechs and chose conquest. 1 or 2 rounds of conquest or any other game mode on quick play maps is understandable but this an epic disaster.

Please tell me this is not intentional.
After 4 + years and at least $2,000 invested in this game I am totally mystified as to what developers are thinking. Or are they at all...

Won't even go into the unbalance or the pervasive exploiting of some of the "elite" players.
Most have given up on these 2 issues ever being given anything more than lip service.

PGI?

Edited by Bad Electric, 04 January 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#2 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

In our 50+ page suggestion thread, several people suggested that Assault mode could be viable in FP.

Russler took that to mean that he should turn FP into Quickplay-with-dropdecks.

So, now, if you enjoy playing actual Invasion mode when you click to play Invasion mode, you're sheet out of luck.. and it will never change, because Russler's Twitter safe-space is full of yes-men that think he poops rainbows.

RIP: Invasion mode. I and many others that aren't too god damn lilly-livered to group up and push into a base will miss you.

#3 BearFlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

The idea was to create "phases" in a battle representing some continuum from start to finish. It's a good idea if done correctly with the right maps. You could indeed have maps in play for phases or for geographic type. The former might, for example, represent cracking the planet's heavy defenses, establish base of operation, advance through hinterland, close on objective, take objective. Alternately, if there was an actual planet map, maps could rotate based on ~where~ the fight is happening - wilderness, city, fortress, coastline. But...the maps have a small problem while the implementation has big ones.

1) The QP maps were never created with a mind that they portray some portion of a larger campaign. The Invasion maps do kinda hit the mark for cracking a planet. Why are they at the end? Shouldn't they come first? Break heavy defenses before further ops can be undertaken? Unfortunately, the QP maps just don't really line up convincingly with any battle phase.

2) Releasing a phased campaign while backing away from the planets doesn't make much sense. PGI zoomed out from planets, created an abstract, 8 planet tug-o-war. But phased or geographically selected maps need to be ~tied~ to something. A simple bar doesn't have phases or geography. As the OP says, we have a design which on a stagnant battlefield ends up stuck in one mode.

For what it's worth, in this poll, 44% favor some kind of mixing-it-up, 25% oppose and remaining are undecided/abstaining.

https://mwomercs.com...poll-version-2/

Edited by BearFlag, 04 January 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

It will take about a year to update...

Should change the formula from 15*4 QP sections + 40% Invasion to either 10*4 QP + 60% Invasion, or 12.5*4 + 50% invasion.

#5 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:14 PM

Always fighting the same type of match is a function of playing at a certain time each day. Russ has repeatedly noted that a vast majority of each attack phase is spent on Invasion due to continued clan dominance.

#6 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

..but if you play in god damn SEA time, you never get to see god damned Invasion mode in god damned Invasion.

QP with dropdecks.. QP with dropdecks.. QP with dropdecks.. They should have made a third button for the dipwad skittles that couldn't nut up for Invasion, instead of taking Invasion away to give them QP with dropdecks.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

We are almost there Anti... 6hrs into the Cycle, first time in over a WEEK and a half... It's actually made it past Domination.

HEAVEN FORBID I actually play a FP map in Oceanic... I've almost forgotten how.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 January 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#8 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

In shock news evenly matched teams stay on the same point on the push pull line. If you want it change modes, win more or lose more.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Grim Portico... In Oceanic...

I have not seen you since Nov I think.

REJOICE!

#10 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:01 AM

Damnit.. I usually stop playing around 6AM EST.

I might actually log back on to finally be able to play one, maybe two Invasion matches before it's back to that QP with dropdeck garbage.

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:08 AM

Spoke too soon. One Invasion match.

Next ghost drop... And not, 30mins of "searching". Not lobby, yet... Sigh.

#12 M A N T I S

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to see a map rotation that makes some sense and generally goes from easiest to hardest (for the faction that's winning).

Something like:
- Skirmish for the same duration
- Assault for the same duration (put the turrets back like they used to be, must cap out base to end game)
- Invasion (Hold Mode - no gates, no turrets) for a longer duration than current
- Invasion (Attack Mode, gates and turrets up) for a longer duration than current.

Domination and conquest don't seem to belong, and this supports a general increase of difficulty for the attacker too, with more opportunity to play the invasion maps.

#13 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostM A N T I S, on 05 January 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

I'd like to see a map rotation that makes some sense and generally goes from easiest to hardest (for the faction that's winning).

I'd play that. I mainly just want to play Invasion in Invasion.. but 50% Invasion is more than 20%.

Another thing that doesn't make a damn lick of sense with the current FP: If you're side is losing the tug and it's at Invasion.. you can get stuck doing Invasion-Attack. The people who are losing the tug should get Invasion-Defense.

#14 M A N T I S

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostAnTi90d, on 05 January 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

I'd play that. I mainly just want to play Invasion in Invasion.. but 50% Invasion is more than 20%.

Another thing that doesn't make a damn lick of sense with the current FP: If you're side is losing the tug and it's at Invasion.. you can get stuck doing Invasion-Attack. The people who are losing the tug should get Invasion-Defense.

Yes I forgot to address that but I agree completely. The winning faction for that cycle should always be made to be the attacker in the invasion maps (the ones walking through the choke points).

#15 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, well good luck getting anything that makes sense. FP was better when it was the old "invasion" maps, this just sucks. Am guessing the introduction of QP maps/modes was to make FP more pug friendly. That in itself is just stupid. Bad enough to play with users who won't work as a team in quick play, hey, I have a great idea, let's bring them into FP and make it even more lopsided in favor of clanners. Take something that wasn't broke and "fix it" Way to go PGI!

#16 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

the easiest way for PGI to please everyone is to change the attack phase from 8 hours to 7 hours, so that the times phases start and end are always changing, and therefore, the matches are happening at different times of day on each day.

#17 Volkodav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:04 AM

repost: If PGI trying to balance 50 \ 50 clans vs sphere, then at his achievement, in theory, FW maps we do not see at all. ) (as say Cox Devalis, and i agree with him)

Do you want that? I not.

I would have left only the Assault and m.b. Conquest mods for FW, but not the one which is now, and the one who announced, with normal bases and others. And return old screen to prepare for the match, where you can see queue.

As example:

Spoiler

Edited by Volkodav, 08 January 2017 - 03:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users