If You're Doing <500 Damage Soloing In Faction Play Matches, Please Reconsider Soloing In Fp

184 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

I realise this might seem a controversial request, but please hear me out.

As the blue pop-up warns, Faction Play is a "highly-competitive" mode where "experienced players" use "highly-optimised Mechs". There's "no skill-based matchmaking", not even any group size matching. So large groups of the most experienced MWO players get mixed in with every lesser skilled player. Further, in certain match types, there are unique rules about gates, generators and Omega, unique win conditions, and special strategies you need to adopt to manage each of four waves of Mechs.

It's not a place where you learn to play. It's a place to go after you've become good at playing.

Nor is it a place to bring trial Mechs. It's a place to bring leveled, optimised Mechs, with loadouts suitable for the unique maps used in Faction Play.

Why my request...?

Inexperienced players dropping in Faction Play ruin the matches for everyone. Large groups of experienced players, working together on teamspeak, are the dominant force in FP. Beating them requires a lot of skill, and is very rewarding. But even a couple of inexperienced players on your team, doing little damage, burning through their Mechs too quickly, become an impossible burden to carry. Those matches become frustrating, one-sided stomps... certainly not worth the long wait time or match time invested by either team.

If you're doing less than 500 damage in FP matches, you shouldn't be playing FP... yet.

"But how can I learn to be good at Faction Play if I don't play FP...?"

First, concentrate on Quick Play, acquiring strong foundational piloting skills. In particular, focus on:
  • accurate aim at exposed torso components, at mid to long range;
  • matching your engagement range to your weapon ranges;
  • torso twisting to spread damage, using cover that matches weapon locations; and
  • effective Mech loadouts (metamechs.com is a good starting point).
Once you start to regularly score >500 damage in Quick Play matches, at least Tier 3 (without boating LRMs) you're starting to get good enough to play Faction Play. Then, if at all possible, join a unit with experienced players who will explain the rules and strategies of Faction Play.

As a rough guide, you should be contributing a bare minimum of 1000 damage every FP match. 1500 is a respectable score. 2000 or higher is good. The very best player on the FP leaderboard does 3500. (Incidentally, LRM damage doesn't count because it is so spread out.)

"But it's a game, and I just want to have fun."

We all want to have fun. For some of us, the fun comes in playing against other experienced players, in evenly-based contests of strategy and skill. Faction Play is the mode that was designed for us to have that kind of fun. Inexperienced players, who make the matches lop-sided, deny us that kind of fun. Quick Play is the place for other kinds of fun.

Thank you for taking the time to read this advice.

Posted Image

Edited by Appogee, 08 January 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#2 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

i think i understand the flaw in PGI's layout for this game.

FW is the fun mode, but people looking for fun are not welcome there. quick play isnt much fun, so newbs dont wanna go there, but thats the main place theyre welcomed at.

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few things.

A player who may be doing well at QP might just need a little bit more time to learn the ropes in CW. As such, how are they supposed to learn if you force them to stay at QP?

You're not going to stop me from leveling mechs in CW. I've been doing that since CW came out and I see no need to stop now. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 05 January 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#4 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

View Postnaterist, on 05 January 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

FW is the fun mode, but people looking for fun are not welcome there. quick play isnt much fun, so newbs dont wanna go there, but thats the main place theyre welcomed at.

If there was a FP matchmaker - at least one which matched groups vs groups - it would solve a lot of the issues.

However, please explain why you believe Quick Play isn't fun for new players?

#5 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostAppogee, on 05 January 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

If there was a FP matchmaker - at least one which matched groups vs groups - it would solve a lot of the issues.

Curious about this as well. I have more fun in Quick Play. Not a new player though.

#6 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

How are people supposed to learn? They can't learn if they can't play.

#7 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 05 January 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

How are people supposed to learn? They can't learn if they can't play.

View PostAppogee, on 05 January 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

First, concentrate on Quick Play, and acquire strong foundational piloting skills. In particular, focus on:
  • torso twisting to spread damage, using cover that matches weapon locations; and
Once you start to regularly score >500 damage in a Quick Play match, at at least Tier 3, without boating LRMs, you're starting to get good enough to play Faction Play. Then, if at all possible, join a unit with experienced players who will explain the rules and strategies of Faction Play.

#8 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostAppogee, on 05 January 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

Quick play does not equate to Faction Play.

#9 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

A matchmaker -- in the traditional sense -- is one of the last things I want in CW. The decision on who fights whom should be a strategic-level feature and something that should be decided on by the players themselves. In other words, CW need some kind of a campaign system where decisions like these can be done.

Here is an idea from long ago.

Edited by Mystere, 05 January 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#10 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

theres no depth. you play a round, check your mechlab, then play again. fw is the thing that seperates this game from every xbox live multiplayer game. in FP theres about the same amount of stuff to do x4, but theres also the houses, and the overall war and what not that makes you feel like your in a real mmo. quicplay is just miltiplayer deathmatch on repeat.

#11 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

That was well said Appogee. Faction Play is a totally different ball game. Either players learn to adapt or don't play it. No Match Maker, No Mercy

I like to see trial mechs BANNED from Faction Play. Tired of killing morons who are piloting those trash builds in FW when they are only good for Quick Play. Not only it removes those pugs who are not willing to work with groups but this also makes them have to get 4 good builds made for drop decks

What PGI is doing has been nothing but bonehead calls and the teams and players who have been playing the mode the way it was generally outlined by that screen shot since day 1 are paying an unnecessary price for PGI's ******** shot calls.

#12 unwary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Please no trial mechs or t5 potatoes in cw matches Posted Image

#13 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

well. let me put it this way. if you dont heed apogee`s warning, then welcome to the seal clubbing, you just waived all rights to QQ and they are in it for the salt. salted wounds hurt. if that happens too much, dont QQ in the forum, go back to quickplay and get "FW Ready". Dont complain about "totally OP", because a team on teamspeak is just that.

Welcome to the grindhouse ;)

#14 M A N T I S

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Nice attitude.

We need more players to be encouraged to play this mode and be excited about it. You're placing barriers for many of these new players by this type of subversive shaming. Everyone is allowed to play. If it bothers you, tough. Pugs join, do poorly, you both move on. Don't forget, it's only by that player's choice to join that you were able to fill out your (or opponent's) group in the first place to get a game. Be thankful you have others to play with and against.

This attitude is far too elitist. All are welcome.

Edited by M A N T I S, 05 January 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#15 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

It isn't just a question of not doing enough damage...if you are just not good or specifically if you lose more than you win (W/L ratio less than1) you really shouldn't play CW.

The goal of the game is to win planets. CW is now two teams (Clans vs IS) trying to take those planets. If good groups on your team are winning and you and your group are consistently losing, then you -by losing consistently- are counter acting any progress that the rest of your team is making. In other words you losing is hurting the teams chances of getting to the goal of taking the planet. Every time you and your fellow losers play you are hurting the team. So if you want your team to win you need to stop playing for the sake of the team.

This is the nature of CW. For good or ill, this is how it works. This is why terribads like me are not welcome (for the most part) in CW (except by those who just want someone to farm).

Edited by Bud Crue, 05 January 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#16 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

View PostAppogee, on 05 January 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

I realise this might seem a controversial request, but please hear me out.

As the blue pop-up warns, Faction Play is a "highly-competitive" mode where "experienced players" use "highly-optimised Mechs". There's "no skill-based matchmaking", not even any group size matching. So large groups of the most experienced MWO players get mixed in with every lesser skilled player. Further, in certain match types, there are unique rules about gates, generators and Omega, unique win conditions, and special strategies you need to adopt to manage each of four waves of Mechs.

It's not a place where you learn to play. It's a place to go after you've become good at playing.

Nor is it a place to bring trial Mechs. It's a place to bring leveled, optimised Mechs, with loadouts suitable for the unique maps used in Faction Play.

Why my request...?

Inexperienced players dropping in Faction Play matches ruining the experience for everyone. Large groups of experienced players, working together on teamspeak, are the dominant force in FP. Beating them requires a lot of skill, though very rewarding. Even a couple of inexperienced players on your team, doing little damage, burning through their Mechs too quickly, become an impossible burden to carry. Those matches become frustrating, one-sided stomps... certainly not worth the long wait time or match time invested.

If you're doing less than 500 damage in FP matches, you shouldn't be playing FP... yet.

First, concentrate on Quick Play, and acquire strong foundational piloting skills. In particular, focus on:
Once you start to regularly score >500 damage in Quick Play matches, at least Tier 3, without boating LRMs, you're starting to get good enough to play Faction Play. Then, if at all possible, join a unit with experienced players who will explain the rules and strategies of Faction Play.

As a rough guide, you should be contributing a bare minimum of 1000 damage every FP match. 1500 is a respectable score. 2000 or higher is good. (LRM damage doesn't count because it is so spread out.)

"But it's a game, and I just want to have fun."

We all want to have fun. For some of us, the fun comes in playing against other experienced players, in evenly-based contests of strategy and skill. Faction Play is the mode that was designed for us to have that kind of fun. As explained above, inexperienced players, who make the matches lop-sided, deny other players that kind of fun. Quick Play is the place for other kinds of fun.

Thank you for taking the time to read this request and advice.

Posted Image

I'll be honest -

I'd rather new players learn to play in FP and we had better tools to help them.

I wish trial mechs were good dropdeck mechs.

There's nothing good to learn in QP. There's nothing in QP that's going to teach someone anything good about how to play or any good habits.

#17 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

That's right keep calling for the mode to be limited to elite players only and watch it die on the vine just like it has in every other iteration to date.

There are insufficient "good" players left to keep the mode alive and you sure won't get any more by not letting people have a chance to learn.

#18 MazeRunner

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 79 posts
  • LocationThe great white north

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

heh, I'd rather see dropdecks locked to two or three trials and the remaining as custom-builds. Levels the playing field a little and makes the veterans sweat a bit. Hard to cry about meta's and wallet-warriors and lets the newbloods focus more on the gameplay than the cbills they're making. And hell, if you get stomped by a team in trials, especially IS, they deserve some credit for the balls. lol

#19 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

More elitist ********

#20 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

So sad I may not play with you, oh greatest of all Mechwarriors.
I will continue to work hard and maybe break 500 DMG soon. Maybe then I can even afford my own mech, Elite/Master it and equip it with modules.

Posted Image

Yeah, maybe a bit too drastic, but stopping to play is not an option. Maybe help those guys who DO score less than 500 DMG to get better, if they're willing to learn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users