21 replies to this topic

#1 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

I was spectating recently and noticed some really excellent aiming, and some really really poor aiming... It was jerky, unfocused and incredibly ineffective. For a moment I was just about to chalk it up to crappy players, but It occurred to me that the jerkyness reminded me of what I look like when I was playing goldeneye on N64 or Red Faction on PS2 back in the old days.

So it turns out that people are using gamepads and joysticks to control MWO...this blew my mind.

I consider myself to be a pretty good pilot.... My shots hit my target 90% of the time and I aim for damaged components and get full burn times usually with lasers. I typically rate within the top 1/3rd to 1/2 of my CW teams and my unit, just in terms of damage and kills. not counting tanking or tactics. I use a mouse and keyboard. From my experience with game pads and joysticks, I cannot imagine they would be good for playing this game.

My question is this: if you play with a gamepad or joystick, Why? Can you really play at the same level as people using mouse + keyboard?

#2 The Original Prankster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

I use a flightstick in my left hand (I'm right handed) for movement and all the other buttons (targeting, arty strikes, jumpjets, ecm mode, battlefield etc) and mouse for aiming, zooming and firing. For me it gives me a far greater accuracy for movement controls (joystick vs keyboard = analog vs digital control), and I wouldn't even bother running a really quick light with a keyboard, far too clumsy.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Joystick have been the preferred controller for most of the past MechWarrior games (it has always meant be a Mech Sim after all) and those who cut their teeth on consul games find game pads more comfortable than WASD (I was actually surprised how many younger gamers hate keyboard) It really comes down to what you are more comfortable with, I have always been a better shot with mouse vs D pad but I often wished the game was more 'Stick friendly. Nothing like pulling a trigger vs point and click.

#4 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:21 AM

Yes its true, I guess it does come down to what you are comfortable with, back in the old days of MW2 and Mercs, I used a joystick also, but I never fully unlocked the torso twisting mechanics of those games back then. I just cannot figure out how a gamepad or a joystick would be more accurate than a mouse and keyboard... and in my observation I see as a major inconvenience. I like Pranksters configuration. it sounds interesting, but I don't have a left handed joystick... and I'm probably not going to jump out of my seat to get one....

#5 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

Keyboard and mouse.

Was always a computer FPS gamer rather than console kid.

#6 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

Keyboard and mouse for me, too. I never warmed up to a single console controller, and although I really, really wanted to like joysticks, I never managed to git gud with one.

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I use keyboard and mouse.

I have no idea why you'd use a gamepad.

I'd LOVE to use a joystick because it's f'n Mechwarrior and it feels awesome and thats how it should be! But I don't, cause you can't beat a mouse a keyboard lol. One day, hopefully.... then I can build a sim pit...

#8 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Keyboard and mouse here, too poor to afford a good joystick and/or game pad thingymajigger...but would love to pilot my ravens with one, like someone already said it does feel a bit clunky but its how I've always piloted my mechs so I dont have anything to compare it to. That being said, anyone got a suggestion on maybe which joystick combo to grab to try out?

#9 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

Keyboard and mouse,

#10 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

I play with a keyboard and mouse. However, back in the day, I used to aim better with a joystick. I also attempted to setup a gamepad to play this game but I failed hard (there's not really good support for it, at least for the one I was trying to use)

Much like mouse settings, it all depends on sensitivity. I also know people who use a joystick or flight stick to control the legs, then they aim with a mouse.

#11 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Keyboard and mouse for FPS (thought hose cyborg pads/keyboards catch my eye for a keyboard alternative big time).

I'd like to use a joystick, but I just don't find the level of precision to be remotely up to snuff for aiming in a multiplayer platform. I'd have little issue using one for movement though, or pedals for throttle if I felt the desire to blow the cash on them down the road.

#12 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:57 AM

you cant really put your hand further in the computers then keyboard and mouse,

If you have any problems with controls.. your just not familiar with a keyboard

#13 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

MWO doesn't have the gameplay to use a full hotas set up. If MWO had larger maps and objective based gameplay similar to MWLL then joysticks may be a good alternative for immersion.

#14 The Original Prankster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 07 January 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

That being said, anyone got a suggestion on maybe which joystick combo to grab to try out?
I really liked the Saitek Cyborg F.L.Y 5 flightstick, it's ambidextrous, has loads of buttons and felt very accurate and responsive from the get-go. Problem is I've gone through 5 of them, so in other words they haven't been very resilient... I now got a Thrustmaster T.16000M flightstick, which loses a couple of buttons compared to the Saitek, and is maybe a bit less responsive (then again, I'm just getting used to it), but seems a lot sturdier in construction and is also ambidextrous, so you won't be wasting money on a joystick you can only use in one game or setting. Both are fairly cheap, around 50 euros or so.

Edited by The Original Prankster, 13 January 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#15 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Mouse and keyboard. I use a mouse because it is a superior aiming input to which I am accustomed. If I were to use a track ball, joystick, or other such first or second-order controller, my performance would be objectively worse, no matter how much I felt it "worked for me."

The keyboard, however, I would like to someday try replacing with a joystick, because of the possibility of analog turning. The keyboard is all-or-nothing; either you're turning or you're not. If I can get a joystick set up to turn so that the rate of turn is proportional to how far toward max I have the joystick, it will be ideal for fine targeting in the crunch - particularly while making passes in a Light. If I can't analog turn with a joystick, it is also inferior: instead of just pressing a different key, I would have to move the joystick past center and over to my new turn direction.

#16 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Gamepad (mini-keyboard, Razer Nostromo, fits my hand better than the newer ones) and mouse.

#17 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

View PostTercieI, on 14 January 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

Gamepad (mini-keyboard, Razer Nostromo, fits my hand better than the newer ones) and mouse.

Forgot all about the Nostromo, it's a nice looking controller but the price always kept me away.

#18 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostTercieI, on 14 January 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

Here's my setup (Razer fanboy- ACTIVATE):

Posted Image

Black Widow Ultimate 2012, Nostromo, Mamba TE, Firefly, and Kraken 7.1.

Edited by Ghostrider0067, 15 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#19 AccessTime

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

Keyboard and mouse. I used to be a big fan of joysticks, but today it seems like the good joysticks are all so expensive(?).

The main thing with a mouse is, most people have the sensitivity set far too high, and they try to use their wrist too much. Mouse is a great tool with the proper technique.

Though for a flight sim or space sim, I'd probably still want the joystick.

#20 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

Posted Image
Delux backlight T9 46 Key Wired controller for left hand....6 button programmable mouse on left...I'm an old guy and I started on joystick/keyboard but for the last 10 years I've played only console...so I'm more than proficient with a gamepad too. The T9 gives me the best of both worlds in a way....

BUT....I have a T1600 joystick that I've used too. LOVE all the HOS/HOT buttons you can use.

Consoles use gamepads for FPS...but...most console games have some sort of 'auto-aim' that allows the cross hairs to 'snap' onto target. You can disable this but most don't even know it's there. MWO (and many PC games with mouse support) do not use 'auto-aim' as a default.

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users