Fw: Is It Broken?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Hey guys, i have been playing the new faction warfare system as soon as it came out. I heard it was good from other players because you can potentially earn more money....finally....after being burnt out on quick match i thought it would be fun. I am a clanner and i have a wide variety of mechs...45 to be exact. I have tried many combinations in as many games as i can and so far..2 is the total number of games ive participated in where my team won. I have been playing for over a year now and i didnt think i was that bad....but now i think i suck... I cant count how many times i have been obliterated by a single enemey mech alpha striking me in the face....and i mean directly in the front where armor should be strongest...even my heavier mechs just fall apart like paper against the opposing team. I talked to another clanner yesterday who told me he had been grinding over 6 hours worth of just getting cleaned out match after match. I have been playing this morning trying to figure out where the discrepancy is..so far the only things i can really say that make a difference is that the other team always has more tonnage....and since the matches aren't ranked any skill level could be your opponent up too and including facing an entire 12 man crewed unit.
My question is : Is Faction warfare broken for all clanners? does piranha games know we cant win?

If this isn't the case i would really like some help figuring out how i can win unless there is another better way to get c-bills. I don't favor a certain weapon like some players, I don't mind slow mechs or extremely fast mechs...I was thinking about buying a Night Gyr and see if that makes a difference because i see alot being run in FW..they must be pretty good....but once again...c-bills..please help

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

From everything I've read it seems like clans win a lot more. IS always has more tonnage than clan for balancing purposes.

View PostBahktosh, on 06 January 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

and since the matches aren't ranked any skill level could be your opponent up too and including facing an entire 12 man crewed unit.

This is the real culprit. Every time I've ever dropped solo in FP its a disaster. Always a loss, nearly always against a full 12 man. If the mach was close its because the 12 man wanted it to be so they could get more kills and c-bills.

So my advice would be to never do faction play without a group. If you are serious about getting your c-bills in FW you should find a unit to drop with.

#3 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

OK ...although i usually drop with 2-4 players in my unit...but i know its not much.. but Is that it...basicly dump my friends to play? That doesn't seem right to me. I can only be a member of one unit at a time...is there anyone out there that would let me roll with them even though i'm not a member? Id really appreciate it.

Furhtermore..i have talked to other who say the same thing..that clans face rolls in FW...honestly i haven't seen that and I play a lot..i'm seeing the opposite, and its not just me I've talked to other clanners having the same problems..so far it just seems busted somehow...but its difficult getting feedback....

#4 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostBahktosh, on 06 January 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

OK ...although i usually drop with 2-4 players in my unit...but i know its not much.. but Is that it...basicly dump my friends to play? That doesn't seem right to me. I can only be a member of one unit at a time...is there anyone out there that would let me roll with them even though i'm not a member? Id really appreciate it.

Furhtermore..i have talked to other who say the same thing..that clans face rolls in FW...honestly i haven't seen that and I play a lot..i'm seeing the opposite, and its not just me I've talked to other clanners having the same problems..so far it just seems busted somehow...but its difficult getting feedback....

You don't have to ditch your friends. If you are willing to put the effort in you should use one of the public teamspeaks and make a pick up group. You can usaully fill out a 12 man on the Comstar TS. address: na1.mech-connect.net password: WordofBlake. There are other servers too if you start searching in the faction play forum section. Most houses have a major one and there are a few large merc units too.

Somewhere on that faction play tab in game there is a list of planets that shows whats been fought for and won over the last day and clans control about 80% of it normally.

Edited by Roughneck45, 06 January 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#5 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Listen to Roughneck45.

You have 2 issues: (1) FW plays significantly different than QP because of objectives and reinforcements, (2) You are right, there is a world of difference between a new pilot/new mech/non FW build and an experienced pilot/mastered mech w/modules/optimized FW build AAAND there is NO matchmaker.

#6 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Do i have to use TS? Whats wrong with the in game chat? Is there any other way? You said most houses..does that include the clans? Also i cant find any info on which variants are better for the Night Gyr..metamechs doesnt have it...any suggestions there?

#7 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostBahktosh, on 06 January 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

Do i have to use TS? Whats wrong with the in game chat? Is there any other way? You said most houses..does that include the clans? Also i cant find any info on which variants are better for the Night Gyr..metamechs doesnt have it...any suggestions there?

Most groups use TS because they always have, in game voice chat came long after the game went out of beta. Also lets you socialize since MWO only lets you talk in match(I think? Haven't actually tried). Yes, that includes the clans. Pretty much any recognizable unit from lore has something, the major houses and clans being the biggest.

For clan variants it usually doesn't matter because you can swap omnipods and change your hardpoints. When looking at what clan mechs to buy the important difference is whether the ct has a hardpoint or not, because you can't swap ct's. Night Gyr's are awesome btw, currently my favorite heavy.

Edited by Roughneck45, 06 January 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#8 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

furthermore i would like to point out that I don't have much money....So i cant afford the pay to win items that are available only for MC...

If I have to go to an OFFSite Teamspeak location to pick up a good group..what is the point of having any matchmaking at all..and while I am thinking of it...is there only 5 different levels of player skill level.....i bet not..but thats all they have. Every other game i have played has like different RANKs..gold silver bronze.etc.. and within said system is a tier set up similar to whats there..

Yeah i got the one D variant.

#9 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

The Night Gyr isn't the most beginner-friendly clan mech to use, because it's big and slow. Yes, it mounts assault level firepower, and can poptart like a beast, but for beginners, that's not really a viable skill to learn.

First things first, what are your mouse settings? You should be running something like 800dpi and 0.2 in game sensitivity (it'll feel really sluggish at first, but once you get used to it, you will be able to hit targets very accurately)

Second, do you twist your mech after firing your weapons or twist your mech when taking incoming fire? It is very important in this game to spread damage over your mech and/or shield your weapons in a asymmetric build so you can continue to shoot even after taking damage.

Third, pretty much every unit that's larger than say 6 uses some sort of VOIP system, be it Teamspeak or Discord, etc. This allows people to discuss builds, get coordinated prior to dropping into a match.

You're welcome to come drop with my unit to see how effective teams can work (though we usually drop groups of 4-8). We recently jumped back to clan side after spending 3 weeks in IS which was a bit of a grind especially with the small groups we drop, but we still managed to maintain a unit 2.0 W/L ratio despite playing on the IS side with small groups. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 06 January 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#10 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

@kerensky I have about a year of piloting and tuning mechs and my first was a dire wolf..so yeah i know about slow mechs...I torso twist a lot for survivability..i also try to maximize my speed and the terrain to my advantage and to minimize return fire...but very few of my mechs have mods. I currently have 45 mechs (if you include 3 IS)
My mouse typically runs at 8000 dpi..although i did change the settings in the game to turn it down to .2 as you have stated..it doesnt feel bad to me..actually i thought it was a little jerky, that change just smoothed it out..so thanks for that.
As far as the voip..i typically have discord on..which is why i dont want to use TS.
I would love to join you!...I sent you a friend request in mechwarrior other than that i dont know how to reach you.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:58 AM

First, MWO has no pay to win items, yes hero Mechs are diferant but rarely are they the best varient of a chassis, the other real money only items are cosmetic, time saving or early access.

Spending real money does not give you an advantage

The biggest advantage you can have is teamwork, and a big group on teamspeak will usually have a significant advantage over several small groups using ingame comms, because the big group will probably have set out a stratagy long before ingame comms become available to the smaller groups, so all they have to do at the start of the match is put there stratagy into effect.
For a large group there will usuly be one or more people calling targets, all they say is "Night Gyr charley, ct" and a few seconds later 4-12 Mechs will have emptied there full alpha into the centre torso of the Night Gyr with the letter C above it on the HUD, if each Mech has a 30 point alpha from 5 Mechs would probably kill you in 1 alpha strike, and it is very possible that could look like just 1 Mech firing on you.

Tramwork is the single most overpowered thing in MWO

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:33 AM

View PostBahktosh, on 06 January 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

furthermore i would like to point out that I don't have much money....So i cant afford the pay to win items that are available only for MC...

Pay to win items? Like what? I don't have anything that is pay to win.

I've been playing for 14 months now. I learnt from good players who took me under their wing - best suggestion here is join a unit. If a unit isn't your fit, try another. Plenty around.

My first game I did like 300dmg. Now I can solo drop and regularly have games like the below. If I don't do over 2k damage, I count that as a bad game in all honesty (unless it's an outright steamroll)

Posted Image

You are obviously face-tanking, not spreading damage etc. I regularly get my mechs down to around 40% or below. It is ALL about torso twisting and spreading the damage. Rotating armour with other mechs in your group (and knowing how to do that)... It all lends to staying alive longer, dealing out more damage.

Fact is TS is where groups are formed, if you wanna group - you need to use it. Most units exist on TS as well. In game doesn't support the functions units need...

And don't EVER bring a DWF. That is the wrong mech for FP. There are only select situations where a DWF is acceptable, but for now that isn't worth discussing as FP basics (and mech piloting advanced skills) are what you need. Not situational mech discussions. As Clan right now you really can't afford to bring an Assault with 240T. 4 heavy or 3 Hvy/1 Med is a far better balance of mechs right now.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 January 2017 - 04:41 AM.

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

It's always been more or less broken, as far as game balance is concerned. I don't think anyone can really call a game mode which puts 12-man teams and a random solo players against one another a good design.

Now that said, it can still be fun. I'd say 80+% of games I've got in FW are pretty decent and fun. You'll have to decide for yourself whether that poorly balanced minority of games is a deal-breaker.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

How can it be broken, if you are clearly warned that FP is the realm of organised teams?

Posted Image

It carries a warning, for very good reason. You drop solo, you take the risk of running into a team. That is just FP. It's not broken, it's working exactly how it is meant to work.

#15 Todd Kuuf

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:35 AM

just wanted to add something good about having TS.

those helping can link a build for you in TS, Can't do that in game

#16 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostBahktosh, on 06 January 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

*snip*

Come to clan TS.

IP: STRANAMECHTY.INFO
PW: StranaMechty

https://mwomercs.com...eak-hub-server/

Then all you need to do is find an active group. Most activity is usually during US prime time. One of the big problems I see as well is that many units have their own ts server, which leads to too many teamspeaks and not enough people going around.

#17 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

The vast, vast majority of all games are being won by Clans. The progress bar is buried to the far left of the tug of war bar for hours on end each and everyday. The front is visibly receding four planets every eight hours.

I suspect you are joining another match immediately after losing and therefore are probably running into the same large group premade that just stomped you. Wait five to ten minutes to desync with those opponents.

Most Clan mechs DO NOT face tank well, I don't know why you are engaging in that tactic. The Nova, Marauder IIC and Orion IIC are okay but many others feel like paper. The Gyr is a fragile mech and too slow for most modes. Leave it at home. A Timberwolf would still be better for most situations.

I can live with dying to pinpoint, but ER PPC are maddening to fight against. Summoners are incredible zombies that never die, are fast and can jump.

Perhaps list your current drop deck. As an I.S. player part of me does not wish to assist you but I feel I should honor your request. Forty-five mechs should be enough to build a very good deck.

Edited by Spheroid, 07 January 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#18 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

The Clan rules the new system. In fact, me and others in my Unit have decided to not do FW at all until we go back to Clan.
The higher speed and longer range of the Clan's weapons are very hard to deal with.
Also, I tried Discord but 95% of players use TS if they use anything other then game chat.There are times I'd like to dump all my IS Mechs and go Clan again....

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 07 January 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#19 Bahktosh

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

first of all..its not facetanking if your being focused so quickly you cannot respond..I do in fact roll damage over....but it does nothing when your surrounded..and it isnt just me...as I've said..I'm talking to many people who have exactly the same problem. In addition i do use TS, i just don't have 11 other guys all the time..in my back pocket. Currently my drop deck has an ebon jaguar with the standard meta of 2 lpl and 5 meds..and a timberwolf similarly done...in addition i also use a summoner with 3 ac 2s and 3 ermeds...and lastly a 2 ppc kitfox. my second drop deck typically changes depending on the matches..it s a bit more fluid but contains more mechs with decent builds that fit my play-style. Which by the way is more hit and run like the kitfox needs to be..although i coordinate fire with the jaguar and timberwolf to bring down bigger mech dogpiles. I dont think facetanking is a good i idea i listen to you guys and try to adjust..but in the end Nothing works..the last game i played my team went 7 to 38..i had 317 damage..after the first push they just rushed us with their 12 fully modded warhammers and farmed our spawn....how can any amount of rolling damage handle that?anyway..if faction play is competitive why isn't it ranked..and why IS quick play ranked? also realy 5 tiers thats it? i think there more than 5 skill levels isnt their? and while im on the topic why cant the PGI servers detect 12 people queing together and separate them from the few pug groups queing separatly..honestly sometimes I feel like im being greifed for not having a group...and recently I was dropping with aw0l which is great except that for example tonight i asked if i could drop and they were full.....me and my 2 friends played until we could stomach no more. I used to be in a higher rating than tier 5 but after a several hundred game losing streak i slipped back into tier 5 for quick play...and i feel like i can't get an edge over anyone reguardless of mech, playstyle, environment etc. Maybe I should just switch to IS and be a detriment to them instead..atleast other clanners would win. honestly i think quickmatch is broken as well. anyway I appreciate all the suggestions...

oh and one last thing the usable items in the game available for c-bills are great except for the fact that the MC ones are better..thus pay to win. ive seen their effectiveness same damage but more shells..yeah.....

Oh and obviously I know not to use the dire wolf I was only illustrating a point and explaing what I started on. I don't use it anymore which is unfortunate....but I try to be flexible. Anyway I will continue soldiering on keep the advice coming apparently I need it. Thanks again.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

If you dropped back into T5 - Then that is the answer there, you need to improve your play. My average damage is 2000+ a match. If I do less the enemy was quite bad.
The only reason in QP that you will DROP is if you play poorly. Even in a LOSS your EXP/PSR bar does go up, if you perform at a reasonable level. A win just makes it an almost certainty.

IMO in QP you should run your EBJ - If you cannot get 450dmg avg (across at least 20 matches) in T5 in a Laser Vom EBJ match in/match out - Then you need to look at your play style, learn when to poke/shoot/trade and learn to spread damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users