Staying Positive

65 replies to this topic

#1 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

I'm mostly looking for advice. Every time I lose, I get discouraged, and fall out of whatever ragtag group on the TS that I had been a part of. I realize what I should be doing is finding different groups, going scouting, or taking a break to go play quickplay, but I don't wanna abandon those guys even if they have sub optimal builds, or yell at eachother, or constantly complain about hackers or clan tech (guys, I know these are real issues but I don't need to hear about them on teamspeak every match.)

I guess what I need is more, spiritual advice. How do I keep from burning out? How can you stay positive after being rolled 48-12 vs EVIL or the like? What do you guys do?

#2 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 06 January 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

What do you guys do?

Something else.
Like, watch a movie.

#3 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

What do you guys do?

Get incredibly frustrated... and then..

Remember that this is a game, and that for many of the folks in groups like theirs, that stomping folks in game has become their primary source of validation.

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

you just learn. Take it as an another experience and level up. Then you take a breather, and come back as if you were going to put the world under your boot.

#5 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

Load up on srms, small pulse and ac/20s and go bashing into people. Always makes me feel good. :)

#6 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

you should all tweet russ for more welfare tonnage, or bring more lrm ravens to the fight.

#7 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

i got to that point in october. i stopped for a little bit, then i got invited to play with a clan unit and i did CW with them, and i used that to teach myself more, because this was one of the top units in game. now i still burn out occassionally, but not as much because ive realized how good i actually am (not bragging, it was actually a bit of a hit to the ego figuring it out). but it cleared up a heck of a lot to me, and now that ive heard the best calling, ive turned into a teamspeak doorknob, which is what i think you want to be too. eventually youll find some 11 L33T team and theyll take you because theres no one else, then people will start to realize you listen and you start getting into the better teams as filler more often, and the more teams you play with, the more you grow as a player. it kinda adds a personal meta to CW.

and about those clanners, now when i burn out i have some fun friends to go play a clan alt with, or to drop in group play with while we BS and i drink beers. its a lot more stress free if you do it drunk as well.

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:14 PM

I'm mostly looking for advice. Every time I lose, I get discouraged, and fall out of whatever ragtag group on the TS that I had been a part of. I realize what I should be doing is finding different groups, going scouting, or taking a break to go play quickplay, but I don't wanna abandon those guys even if they have sub optimal builds, or yell at eachother, or constantly complain about hackers or clan tech (guys, I know these are real issues but I don't need to hear about them on teamspeak every match.)

I guess what I need is more, spiritual advice. How do I keep from burning out? How can you stay positive after being rolled 48-12 vs EVIL or the like? What do you guys do?

Hulu/netflix/whatever..

Also other games - Astroneer, Subnautica, Rimworld, ARK.

I also friend up good players in good teams and watch for them online and group up with them to play.

#9 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

[IDI] just takes a detour into fun/silly/stupid private matches or other means of blowing off steam.

https://www.twitch.t...the/v/112626699

It can be frustrating, so taking control of your situation and consciously get out of the "gotta win" mentality helps. Full disclosure only go into QP/FP for shenanigans if your whole team is on board.

Hop in a Light and *explore* all the maps used in FP (including the QP maps). Find nooks and crevices and get a feel for the broken meshes without having to dodge enemy fire.

Additionally, *WITHOUT OVER-ANALYZING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE OVERMUCH* consider getting some dueling partners to practice various skills you feel you can improve. Unless you have a unit to drop with, about the only aspect of team success you can control initially is your own.

Fact is, sometimes you feel like you're the weakest link, fix that first and then focus on the team building/leading aspect.

Just don't burn yourself out this in and of itself, but it helps to try different things...

Edited by MovinTarget, 07 January 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#10 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Take a few days break. Staying frustrated is doing nothing for your game or the team you are playing with. Come back refreshed and ready too kill mechs. It is what i do. Good luck

#11 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

I was pug-stomped consistently from September till December.

What kept me coming back and what kept it fun? Personal goals.

Every match I would start with my overall goal ("I hope we win") plus some secondary goals, such as:
- learning a hiding spot used by one of the stompers so I can avoid them next time
- learning a build used by the stompers and trying to figure out why it suited the map or mode
- not getting killed by a specific pilot
- not falling for a trick a specific team uses to lure people into a trap
- not getting trapped in the same spot I got trapped in last time (even though it seems like a good spot to hide)
- torso twisting so my mech explodes at 19% instead of 64%
etc etc etc.

If you make these little games for yourself you are still an effective team member and are not letting your team down because you are improving and trying to find effective tactics, but it also creates a game within the game that you can win even while your team loses. And you will be shocked at how much you learn after even a month of doing this.

Hope this helps! Stay positive :)

#12 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Despite all the politics/tryhards/noobness and people acting like utter bellends, remember this is a game we play for fun.

#13 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

Depends on the results you want. If you just want less stress take a break. If you want to improve, then losses can teach you much more than victories.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Join a unit if you wanna do FP... Find a good bunch of people, play with them.

Then it doesn't matter if you win/lose cause you're still having fun with a bunch of people that are hilarious.

If our unit drops, we lose - so what? We don't worry to much about it :)

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostDex Spero, on 07 January 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

And you will be shocked at how much you learn after even a month of doing this.

Hope this helps! Stay positive Posted Image

My play style actually progressed this way, as back in the old days before they upgraded the dropships guns and moved the spawn back, I used to try to get 200 damage a mech and keep the enemy from farming our easy to reach spawn zones. High dps brawly mechs that burn bright and quick.

It's the little, personal things that I enjoy in this game.

-Zack

Edited by Leone, 07 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#16 Jagd Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Try not to get down about it. Posted Image

This is a game that emphasizes team effort and coordination. It is a very complex game of chess where you can only directly control one piece.

Aside from developing your own skills as a pilot, a key to succeeding in a match is to work on being an effective caller, or to follow orders. Having an effective caller in a match will position your team into effective firing lines, adapt to terrain and anticipate how the other side will move. Effective calling will allow your team to focus on targets. As part of this, knowledge of the NATO pheonetic alphabet is a benefit.

#17 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

1. Play solo quick play until you get a hang of piloting a mech
2. Join a unit that plays your timezone and at or above your skill level (search through TS hubs posted in this forum)
3. Learn, study pilots that are better than you and units that are better than you
4. Improve your own piloting and your unit's piloting/tactics
5. If your unit doesn't want to improve, repeat from step 2

Congratulations, now you own pugs and have exciting matches against organized units. Frustration only comes in for people who are not looking to get better, but also want to win. This is contradictory in my opinion, you either improve and win or "just want to have fun" and lose.

Edited by ironnightbird, 07 January 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#18 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Sometimes it's best to not give a crap. Wait what did he say? DO NOT give a crap!
I mean not give a crap in the sense that ur just throwing mechs away for lolz, but just play as best you can and don't get emotionally involved in the match at all. Just drop, light-up everything you see, farm your damage, get your cbills and loyalty points. Don't get worked up over nothing.

#19 HB10

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

Here is some advice https://youtu.be/Dt6iTwVIiMM

#20 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

What do you guys do?

Watch this

Seriously we started winning after this during FW other night and it was after a dismal EVIL defeat as well :P

Either that or I go play Overwatch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users