Becoming The Star League Hub

37 replies to this topic

#21 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

The Marik TS tends to fluctuate between about 5 to 35 active users at any given time, mostly NA time schedule, but lately its all mostly QP. There are a lot of players that are tired of IS vs Clan / the current state of CW (myself included). Though of those still interested, the Marik CW players have been joining the Davion TS recently. But I'll be sure to mention to them to check out the FRR hub if it comes up.

The thing about the Marik TS is that its synced with the Marik website somehow, I don't know the details but that might be something to take into consideration.

One thought is instead of migrating TS servers, just make a new area on your TS called "The Starleague" or something, then we can advise anyone that wants to play CW/FP to "go join the Starleage", then have the Starleagues info posted on the Marik forums.

#22 Dutchoper72

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Ew, nuts to another Star League. Steiner would just end up paying for everything.

#23 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostDutchoper72, on 03 February 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

Ew, nuts to another Star League. Steiner would just end up paying for everything.

They probably aught to, since the rest of us our paying for their loses =P

#24 Dutchoper72

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 03 February 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

They probably aught to, since the rest of us our paying for their loses =P

Pfft the Star League would have flopped if it wasn't for us throwing money at all you poor people.

#25 HeavyEcho

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:36 PM

(COME HERE IF YOU ARE LFG CW 12 MAN DROPS)
Its good in concept but it should actually be renamed to come here if you want to wait for a few hours with absolutely nothing happening all while people who are already familiar and known to the ts get to go with groups and get drops. <It could be shorter I know.

Not that I'm bitter.

#26 LordLeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:46 PM

Your complaint is valid. Most of the time to players used to how thing go on the FRR Hub know to be proactive in getting spots and will drop down and ask if there are or will be spots for the next drop. Essentially skipping or ignoring that channel completely.

There isn't much I'm aware that can be done besides restricting movement from said channel outside of getting permissions for other channels or being dragged down by those with the power and that sounds like an admin nightmare.

Its a an annoyance yes, but one that can be avoided by being proactive. Be polite and go introduce yourself.

#27 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

Even when I disagree with some folks on the Kurita / FRR Hub ... everyone has generally been open and cordial at the least. I strongly encourage IS players to jump on. Night's Scorn will be online most Thursdays for Faction Play and at times during the weekend depending.

#28 HeavyEcho

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

I did introduce myself and I got the "spots reserved/ we are waiting on people we know to join."
And when I did eventually get asked I was in the middle of a quick match (because waiting over 3 hour twiddling my thumbs was getting boring) and then the drop was full by the time I got there.

Eventually I got fed up and went back to the Marik hub for some quick plays.

It would be better to have a main IS hub on its own rather then withing the TS of two existing factions that doesn't really give off a open community where everyone is free to join feeling as oppose to the if you are not with any of the ts groups or faction enjoy your long wait time I have got from going there.

BTW if anyone knows of a IS discord hub I think that would be the better option because it would be its own hub.

#29 LordLeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

Needless to say my experience with the FRR hub differs from your own. Especially when contrasted with the Marik hub. I spent the end of CW Phase 3 doing a mechbay tour, and outside of Stiener and FRR it was a desolate waste as far as finding groups on Hubs went(but even those were slow going given Phase 3 problems). Simply getting on the Marik hub was a PITA that took a couple of days for me. I'm not in any of the TS groups and I've only recently returned to the FRR as a 1 man unit Merc. I've had very little problems getting groups or finding friendly faces.

For example, this was my last group on the FRR hub doing CW this afternoon:

FRR
Kurita
FRR
Marik
FRR
Kurita
Marik
Kurita
FRR
Liao
Kurita
Marik

The largest single group was a 4 man from Kurita.

The whole point of this thread is to open the FRR hub to everyone(it already was, but the previous iteration of CW prevented further coordination beyond saying "Hi"). The "Two factions" of the FRR hub is a new thing itself, Kurita recently lost their hub and Dane graciously offered the FRR hub as a FRR/Kurita hub, which went so swimmingly he thought he'd offer to expand it further.

If you want a main IS hub, you have it. I implore you to give it a another try and be more proactive. Count the # of pilots in the Longships, if there's less than 12, hell if there is 12, drop down and say hi and ask if they're looking for more. Even if they have 12 pilots people cycle in and out often, put yourself in an informal queue for that drop ship if you can. There may be some waiting involved, if they just dropped they may be up to 30 mins, but they know you're waiting and generally look for the first guy that piped up on the next drop.

Tonight NS(Crockdaddy above you) will be running a lot, tomorrow ISEN will be running the weekly FRR Tyr Battlegroup(open to everyone), for the last three nights there have been no less than 2, usually 3-4 full drops running nightly on the FRR hub during NA Prime time. This is the place to be for IS CW hands down.

Edited by LordLeto, 09 February 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#30 The Errant

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

View PostHeavyEcho, on 09 February 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

I did introduce myself and I got the "spots reserved/ we are waiting on people we know to join."
And when I did eventually get asked I was in the middle of a quick match (because waiting over 3 hour twiddling my thumbs was getting boring) and then the drop was full by the time I got there.

Eventually I got fed up and went back to the Marik hub for some quick plays.

It would be better to have a main IS hub on its own rather then withing the TS of two existing factions that doesn't really give off a open community where everyone is free to join feeling as oppose to the if you are not with any of the ts groups or faction enjoy your long wait time I have got from going there.

BTW if anyone knows of a IS discord hub I think that would be the better option because it would be its own hub.

I'm sorry that that was your experience, HeavyEcho. As someone fairly new to FP and new to using TS with MWO, I first logged onto the Star League/FRR/Kurita hub about six weeks ago. At the time, I was without a faction or a unit. Not sure how you felt about it, but I was of the opinion that everybody who went there knew each other and had been dropping together forever (this turned out not to be true) and was a little intimidated at the thought of trying to break the ice. Like you, I spent some time in the LFG CW channel, but eventually somebody did come up and ask if I was looking for a game. Ever since then, I've had no problem just dropping down into the various longships and either getting into a game immediately, moving to another longship and getting into a game immediately, or hanging out for 10-20 minutes until the current drop is done and then getting into a game.

For the past couple weeks now activity on the Star League/FRR/Kurita hub has picked up quite a bit, and there's been very little trouble getting groups together. Generally though, it's the same group of about 50-60 folks dropping in the mixed groups, and we all basically know each other after a few weeks, so it's been easy to get groups together for the most part without scrolling up and grabbing folks from the LFG channel in the TS. (Not trying to make excuses, just trying to give some insight.) Even so, most groups that I've been part of will hop up into the LFG channel if we have open spots and there are folks up there. Oftentimes though, spots fill quickly as people will log in, go straight to a longship and either join the group or claim their spot in line. Still, people are pretty good about starting new groups if the ones that are going start to get a surplus of people waiting in line. I'm not sure who told you that they'd reserved spots and were waiting on people, but everybody I've dropped with (and that's most of the people I've seen in the mixed groups since I've been on) has operated on a first-come-first-serve basis. Barring disconnects trying to get back in, if you're in the TS channel you've got the spot.

I urge you to give us another shot. We're good people.

Edited by The Errant, 10 February 2017 - 06:39 AM.

#31 HeavyEcho

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostThe Errant, on 10 February 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

snip

So your saying I should continue to waste 3-4 hours of my time which I have waited on 3 separate occasions on what seem to be the tiny possibility that I eventually get picked. Rather then finding someway of resolving the issue. I posted to provide my incredibly infuriating experience because negative feed back is important and yet the answer to the problem seems to be "Just bare/deal with it".

Nah I gave it 3 shots waited hours on each, I may hop on and sit there but I wont hold my breath.

Edited by HeavyEcho, 10 February 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#32 The Errant

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

I'm saying that you won't be wasting 3-4 hours waiting for a drop if I'm around. I should be on later tonight. If I see ya, I'll shoot an invite your way.

Edited by The Errant, 10 February 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#33 HeavyEcho

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostThe Errant, on 10 February 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I should be on later tonight. If I see ya, I'll shoot an invite your way.

Thanks. Sadly I work 12 hour night shifts. Its a good and bad thing good because I am awake on my nights off during American peek times. bad because it mean my only nights off on MWO are spent waiting hours on end.

EDIT: Managed to get a few games in there now.

Edited by HeavyEcho, 13 February 2017 - 08:57 PM.

#34 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 08 February 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Even when I disagree with some folks on the Kurita / FRR Hub ... everyone has generally been open and cordial at the least. I strongly encourage IS players to jump on. Night's Scorn will be online most Thursdays for Faction Play and at times during the weekend depending.

I still give NS the lions share of credit for Kuritas self-created rise in CW 1.0. They were getting rolled non-stop and then put the work into getting together and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, cross-training helping a lot of players develop. That created an environment of success that, in turn, drew a lot of merc units who prefer to play with people who want to GIT GUD.

Kurita was the defacto winner of CW 1.0 and the conscious decision to coordinate, share skills and put the work into grouping up is the direct cause of that.

I busted my *** in CW 3.0 to get over a 4.0 W/L with mostly pugging and mixed groups and was very proud of it. Now I've taken the Crockdaddy approach of 'find a group of very skilled people to consistently carry you' (which is how you once described why NS got created) and, well, my W/L is a tad better than 4.0.

CW is a team environment. Full stop. Yes, good mechs, good aim, good strategies are an important piece and are what helps you carry your fair share. However first and foremost before anything and everything else is the team you're playing in. That's where you learn to be a good player. QP teaches you to be a bad player, playing with a good team teaches you to be a good player. There are no comp tier players who are pure pugs. That's no coincidence. There's no Olympic athletes who just made it solo.

Even if someone's just in CW to earn mech bays and LP and level mechs and stuff, winning is a good 3x faster and better for that and getting on a hub and grouping up is what separates the people who win all the time from the people who lose all the time.

#35 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

I spent today checking out the star league hub and despite not knowing each other that well we still managed to win 4 out of 5 games, one against Kcom (it was a close one).

To get involved simply join the FRR TS and look at the longboat channels, if theres any without a full 12 man join that channel and ask if they're in a drop or if they have room for 1 more. If they're in a drop then wait, listening in on the channel without disturbing them untill they get out and then you should have no problem getting into that group. Just join LFG when the group leader asks and tell them your pilot name.

Listening in on the group before you drop will help you know what mechs they're running and what strategys are in play so you can prepare your drop deck ahead of time.

#36 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:35 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 28 January 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

Here's some random TS numbers I took at 9:30pm MST tonight...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Listen. If you are at home on one of these TeamSpeaks, that's cool and I don't want to ruin your happy equilibrium. But if you're adrift, or looking for a place to call home, or just want to get more FW games. Come to the Star League Hub. Get involved, maybe even make your home here.

I find it amusing how three of those servers have more channels than maximum users. I've floated around several servers for several months now and have found that all of them spread what few people that are on into the winds hidden away in unit sub channels. Weather you all consolidate or not into the same server each server needs to clean up the channel spam and consolidate the people they have left.

As for my personal feelings on the idea of everyone joining the FRR hub. Good idea but I refuse to ever go back to the FRR hub again. I love the Marik guys but the Davion server is my home now. They are far more likely to get 12 mans together and do FW.

Edited by Karl Marlow, 27 February 2017 - 01:04 AM.

#37 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostKarl Marlow, on 26 February 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

I find it amusing how three of those servers have more channels than maximum users. I've floated around several servers for several months now and have found that all of them spread what few people that are on into the winds hidden away in unit sub channels. Weather you all consolidate or not into the same server each server needs to clean up the channel spam and consolidate the people they have left.

As for my personal feelings on the idea of everyone joining the FRR hub. Good idea but I refuse to ever go back to the FRR hub again. I love the Marik guys but the Davion server is my home now. They are far more likely to get 12 mans together and do FW.

Not sure if it is sad or funny but Night's Scorn on any given day has more players in TS than entire Faction Houses. Dane's Star League Hub is a good idea. Faction House hubs were important but due to no fault of their own Factions just didn't matter as much as it used to. Best to band together.

#38 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 27 February 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Not sure if it is sad or funny but Night's Scorn on any given day has more players in TS than entire Faction Houses. Dane's Star League Hub is a good idea. Faction House hubs were important but due to no fault of their own Factions just didn't matter as much as it used to. Best to band together.

Many times I'll find units squirreled away in there own private channels. Does NS do this as well? If so you might as well be on your own server. I also question weather the FRR hub is even the best choice for this. Given the numbers shown in the pictures above if everyone tried to pile into the FRR servers it would have filled to capacity and started rejecting people.

The real question is what is your end goal. I generally approve of the idea of gathering everyone together and coordinating drops. However people are tied to their units. Are these units going to stay in public areas and welcome pigs or are they going to stay secluded away into what might as well be their own server?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users