• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

I have read in other threads a growing opinion that the Inner Sphere Factions should merge team speaks. They call out for a faction TS to be the epicenter of IS organization and mobilization.. and due to great hubris and a star-sized ego, I assume when people call out for something they are specifically calling out for me.. and so I answer.

My teamspeak server currently hosts two factions - the FRR and Kurita, and I see no reason why I cannot open it's door to more.

Furthermore, for CW 4.1 at least, my server has been the most active Faction hub. Anyone can independently verify this; just log into all the faction hubs through the week and check the numbers.

I've been doing this ever since I took over the FRR hub, just to get a feel about how active the other places are and to get a feel how my faction hub is doing.

My own assessment is this: The FRR/Kurita hub usually has 1/3 more players than the next most active hubs, which are Steiner and Davion. They both appear to maintain large active factions with capable and active leadership. Marik and Liao's hubs are ghost towns for the most part, though Marik's can perk up a little during prime time or if one of it's in-house units is organizing something.

Also the FRR/Kurita hub has also been more active than the COMSTAR TS recently as well.

I think it'd be wise at this point if Marik and Liao units & players moved to the new Star League TS, but I'd understand if no one actually wanted to move and I certainly don't expect anyone to actually move form the more stable and active Davion/Steiner hubs (not that I'd be against it!).

But perhaps the more scattered mercenaries and units who use Comstar or their own secret TS's could come set up a presence in the Star League TS? This is all pretty new territory, so if people have ideas about how to best make this all happen - I am all ears.

And then there has been the idea of actually organizing the Inner Sphere along Star League lines. That seems a little more..complicated.

I think it'd be easiest to manage if factions had their own leader. The FRR via the RKA and House Davion via AFFS, (I believe) both have clear and defined leaders. That being Alyward and myself (although I really don't know much about the inner workings of the AFFS so I could be mistaken).

The Steiner hub used to have a rotating Archon but that practice has ended, although they don't appear to have an 'official lore' leader it appears to me that for the most part the people who manage their hub are seen as faction leaders (although there are large, or previously large, units like SRoT and Donegal Guards who might not agree with that assessment).

Marik appears to have some sort of leadership apparatus as well, but they seem pretty inactive as of late - at least to an outsider like me.

Liao also appears to have at least had something leadership-y in place at some time, but it's hard to tell if it's still extant and if it was ever universally accepted (for instance by heavy hitters like TCAF).

Finally Kurita's old leadership council has pretty much dissolved, but I think I've earned enough good will from them that at least in the short term they'd be willing to follow my lead.

The way I currently have the FRR/Kurita Hub set up is this...

There are three unit level ranks for Loyalist units willing to be a part of my..organization.

Unit CO (RKA Major & DCMS Sho-sa)
Unit XO (RKA Kapten & DCMS Tai-i)
Unit Officers of Note (RKA Löjtnant & DCMS Chu-i)

Each of these ranks has different levels of power and permissions in the Hub, the Unit CO's can do quite a bit..and if they wanted could be quite disruptive. However I've made it clear there is a zero tolerance rule when it comes to abusing power and I've had zero real issues with it.

I could add a faction leader rank above the Unit Co rank.
You can see a more in-depth way I organized the FRR by checking this link out, if interested.

Either way, the Teamspeak I currently manage is at a very good place right now and I am going to be doing what I can to continue growing it and encourage it as *the place* for Inner Sphere Faction Warfare, and maybe some other stuff too.

I welcome ideas, critiques and input from anyone interested.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

#endgame.

I see now what you were up to.

I approve. :D

#3 Journeyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 07 January 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

The Steiner hub used to have a rotating Archon but that practice has ended, although they don't appear to have an 'official lore' leader it appears to me that for the most part the people who manage their hub are seen as faction leaders (although there are large, or previously large, units like SRoT and Donegal Guards who might not agree with that assessment).

~Salute~ Mech the Dane. Allow me to begin by saying your efforts to improve the atmosphere of MWO with Operation Great Dane have given the a breath of fresh air to things and I've hear nothing but good from teammates who had the chance to participate. I also appreciate your willingness to collaborate and open up the FRR/Kurita Hub for the greater benefit of Inner Sphere teams.

To speak and clarify on the position of the Steiner Hub: we were founded as an open communication tool to offer for teamwork among the House Steiner units (and their allies) when MWO was released. We once had a formal command structure that some of us have been a part of since MPBT in AOL (or earlier); however, with the limited structure of MWO, our Hub was created with autonomy of the individual units in mind. We recognized it would be difficult and vain to expect that our prior structure would be acknowledged and accepted given the open nature of MWO, so we decided the next best thing was to at least allow for communication and organization.

We have several units and leaders who can appropriately represent the House Steiner Hub, but we own no claim to representing Steiner as a whole (as you point out, SRoT and 12DG have had a big stake since MWO began). The Steiner Hub TeamSpeak server has been around for years beyond the existence of MWO and we will continue to maintain it as we always have; however, we welcome allied Inner Sphere forces there, and we welcome the opportunity to collaborate with your broader idea of coordination on your own Hub. Please continue to keep the dialogue open and let us know how we can improve communication and coordination together. We can all benefit from improvement of the game environment.

#4 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Steiner and Davion hubs currently see use for more than just MWO. They'll likely continue long after MWO ceases to function.

However a single unified hub with room for the Davion/Steiner units and players who are MWO/FW focused along with the Marik, Liao, Kurita and FRR players who are already moving there is a great idea.

Understand you're wanting to change some long standing habits for people though and it'll take a bit to get buy-in. I agree with the idea though. FW population is starting to decline back again and now the struggle will be getting people in the same TS to build cross-unit, cross-faction teams to drop with.

#5 Scurro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 January 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

Steiner and Davion hubs currently see use for more than just MWO. They'll likely continue long after MWO ceases to function.

Dane runs the HR side of the hub but I manage the hosting/technical side. The hub is also used for games outside MWO and if MWO for whatever reason ends, the hub will stay for whatever game replaces it.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Top idea Jarl.

Build it and they will come.

Makes it easier to find games/people. That said, gotta work out a way that doesn't have "too" many channels, or it gets messyAF. Look at Mechconnect for example, takes 20 mouse scrolls to get to the bottom!

#7 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

I think it'd be wise at this point if Marik and Liao units & players moved to the new Star League TS, but I'd understand if no one actually wanted to move and I certainly don't expect anyone to actually move form the more stable and active Davion/Steiner hubs (not that I'd be against it!).

We're happy where we're at, so thank you very much, but no thanks.

And then there has been the idea of actually organizing the Inner Sphere along Star League lines. That seems a little more..complicated.

Been there, tried that, blew up with lots of hard feelings. So again, no thanks.

https://mwomercs.com...he-star-league/

https://mwomercs.com...marik-invasion/

https://mwomercs.com...ack-on-athenry/

http://mwomercs.com/...-it-here-it-is/

I think it'd be easiest to manage if factions had their own leader. (snip)

Marik appears to have some sort of leadership apparatus as well, but they seem pretty inactive as of late - at least to an outsider like me

House Marik has a War Council comprised of member unit commanders, and a Unified Command Council that handles administrative matters like website and TeamSpeak issues, and also FWLM membership. There is no Captain-General and probably will never be because of long-standing House organization and culture, going back to the 1990s.

Just FYI...

Edited by Joshua McEvedy, 13 January 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#8 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 13 January 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

The old Marik-induced Star League was a mess. I think I attended the very first meeting where a giant channel of strangers talked about nothing for like 5 hours.

This in turn gave a disproportionate voice to people who had both the time and inclination to sit around in a TS chat room for 5 hours voting on nothing.

Which led to resentment from other units with less time or interest in fairy-politics when those people who did spend all that time in TS chats started bossing them around.

When I took over the FRR hub and dismantled the previous apparatus of government it was exactly those kinds of people, the ones who 5 hour meetings about nothing, that I had to contend with.

Not only were these individuals out of touch with the game itself (as in; how to play it well), but they were also out of touch with the wider active FRR population. This led many units to ignore decisions made by the previous FRR leadership, or the Marik-Star League (due to the M-Star League's decisions coming to these units from the previous FRR leadership).

My guess is this sort of thing happened in every faction and led to numerous units either ignoring or working against M-Star League decisions.

The reason I go into this history lesson is because I want everyone to understand the way I handle things is completely different. The sad truth is at my core I am a results driven pragmatist.

I do not want to waste anyone's time with meaningless meetings or superficial votes. I don't want create alliances that reduce the amount of fun or success players can have in this game. I want to put people in mechs that work, in groups that can win, in matches that drop fast.

I don't want everyone on the same hub so that I can further my goals of being the First Lord of the Star League (Although I think I am closer than anyone else, assuming I can carry the Kurita vote!), I want them here so everyone's gaming experience is improved.

Your Marik TeamSpeak server is a Ghost Town. This is just.. the truth. I didn't do anything to you, I don't know why Marik's have less inclination towards activity, that is just how it is. The experience of your unit or units would be improved on a more lively Faction hub where they can get games and groups quicker. That is just common sense and this is me just being pragmatic.

But I understand if for sentimental reasons or control reasons you don't want to move. I still think, since there is little activity over there, your people should be aware of a place where they can come and find Faction Warfare groups.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 13 January 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Marik Stuff. Joining large hub is full of hard feelings and conflict

View PostMech The Dane, on 13 January 2017 - 10:23 AM, said:

MTD justification for hub, its governance and how things work thereabouts

TLDR: To me the FRR hub is a community service that Dane et al provide and which allows me to chat with friends and coordinate to play this game. Nothing more. But if I wanted something more, Dane et al are there to use as a resource to play with more intensity and coordination; which sometimes I make an effort at but mostly don't have the time for.

I don't know about all the details Dane mentioned, in re previous or current "apparatus of governance" on the FRR hub, because honestly I was unaware of such things or that there was ANY so-called governance then or now. Seriously, any newcomers to the server or those thinking of coming over should be aware of this: Dane, ISEN, RKA, etc. is only "governance" if you want it to be, at least as far as I can tell.

I'm a terribad, casual. Played 2 years on this server. Have only ever interacted with the Dane et al. on the hub once. I know others who are much more involved in CW and MRBC who engage with Dane et al fairly frequently. This is not because Dane is trying to impose his governance authority on them, but because he/they are trying to coordinate drops. I see Dane et als conduct, or if you insist "governance" of the hub to be directed to:
a) attempting to get FRR players to play CW in a coordinated manner;
b getting those willing to do a) to do so with a modicum of skill;
c) getting the community at large to play the CW mode; and
d) bringing a little lore/flavor to the game.

If you are not interested in the above you probably will never even interact with him and his "governance" once he/they set up your unit channel, and even if you do, it will be at your and/or your unit commander's discretion.

Edited by Bud Crue, 13 January 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Lol sounds like you want the name just for the name. Star league isn't relevant for the game anymore. The best idea is has is to tell pugs not to play the game ROFL.

My forecast , All the pototas will head on over(people u send to scouting), all the good groups will stay on thier own severs and the few loyalist will stay on thier house severs.

#11 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

I think it's a good idea but we tend to stay in our unit TS most of the time. 1 because we have enoughfriends to fill a 12 and 2 because our "combat comms" etiquette is atrocious. We kinda ttalk about whatever while interspersing the conversation with some movement, rally or target calls. :)

#12 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

It's a good idea, the clan's have done the same even if its only to give the lone wolves somewhere to group up and a home for the smaller units.

#13 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Changing social group dynamics and habits is a slow process.

My recommendations would be

A ) have room for Davion/Marik/Liao/Steiner on the TS.

B ) have a clearly noted process for moving units there if there isn't already. The easier the better.

C ) let time do it's thing. More concentrated players = more possible groups to drop with. You can already see it on the hub - almost always people to drop with. People will gravitate to where they feel welcome and where there's people to play with.

#14 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 January 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Changing social group dynamics and habits is a slow process.

My recommendations would be

A ) have room for Davion/Marik/Liao/Steiner on the TS.

B ) have a clearly noted process for moving units there if there isn't already. The easier the better.

C ) let time do it's thing. More concentrated players = more possible groups to drop with. You can already see it on the hub - almost always people to drop with. People will gravitate to where they feel welcome and where there's people to play with.

I am still working slowly to build up NS interest in FP. I am working towards Thursday(s) but we will see.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 25 January 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

I am still working slowly to build up NS interest in FP. I am working towards Thursday(s) but we will see.

A big key is building a circle of people to play with who are on when they are so there's always a good sized team of good players to play with. That's where the hub helps; you want to be able to find groups to keep people playing. Otherwise they'll get on in 1s and 2s, not see anyone to play with and bail to other games - which means that when others come on later they don't see anyone either and follow suit.

That's been a death spiral for no few FW groups and, to a degree, FW itself.

#16 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 January 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

A big key is building a circle of people to play with who are on when they are so there's always a good sized team of good players to play with. That's where the hub helps; you want to be able to find groups to keep people playing. Otherwise they'll get on in 1s and 2s, not see anyone to play with and bail to other games - which means that when others come on later they don't see anyone either and follow suit.

That's been a death spiral for no few FW groups and, to a degree, FW itself.

We have 25 to 30ish ish login every day to play. Around 70 a month but maybe just a few interested in FP. Plus other games compete for time. We have been playing for 3 to 5 years now of what is essentially Team based death match. :)

#17 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

I will be more active in CW once groups are guaranteed to run into other groups.

#18 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

Well, personally I'm too inclusive for this.
I'm either playing with my unit and some people of the FWLM unless Babycakes or Tanner pulls me in an other group or meet people I take a liking to for either future grouping purpose or recruitment purpose.
On TS well I mostly pull people I group up with towards my team speak.

#19 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 26 January 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

We have 25 to 30ish ish login every day to play. Around 70 a month but maybe just a few interested in FP. Plus other games compete for time. We have been playing for 3 to 5 years now of what is essentially Team based death match. Posted Image

Wow. I only see a handful of them (usually in FW or QP).

FW is better than it was. There's a good 6 or 7 good teams who play now, giving you far better odds of running into each other than we had before, which is nice. QP is worse, FW better. Why would anyone want to play in QP/group queue?

#20 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

Here's some random TS numbers I took at 9:30pm MST tonight...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Listen. If you are at home on one of these TeamSpeaks, that's cool and I don't want to ruin your happy equilibrium. But if you're adrift, or looking for a place to call home, or just want to get more FW games. Come to the Star League Hub. Get involved, maybe even make your home here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users