Optimized Graphics Settings - Still Looking Good, But Also 60Fps. Where Is The Sweet Spot?

15 replies to this topic

#1 blindhai

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hello there,

i have a i5 3570k at 4 GHz, 16 GB Ram, SSD and a GTX960 4GB. I returned to the game and i have searched for a thread like this one, but they were all pretty old and/or outdated.

Looking at the recommended system requirements i should be able to play it at high (at least), but when i do i get around 35-40 fps.

So what can i do to get stable 60 fps at 1080p? Which settings can i deactivate/set to low, without realizing it and it still looks nice?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by blindhai, 08 January 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#2 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:37 AM

View Postblindhai, on 08 January 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Hello there,

i have a i5 3570k at 4 GHz, 16 GB Ram, SSD and a GTX960 4GB. I returned to the game and i have searched for a thread like this one, but they were all pretty old and/or outdated.

Looking at the recommended system requirements i should be able to play it at high (at least), but when i do i get around 35-40 fps.

So what can i do to get stable 60 fps at 1080p? Which settings can i deactivate/set to low, without realizing it and it still looks nice?

Posted Image

Posted Image

is this a joke oO?

alone textures on medium look like garbage.That without Anti-Aliasing looks even worse.
Or do you use Nvidia Inspector and got this way uber nice graphics?

Edited by SHRedo, 08 January 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Before getting into the settings, Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance.
Nvidia control panel, 3D, Power Management Mode, change from adaptive to Max performance.

Turn off Vsync but create a user.cfg file with sys_MaxFPS = 60 and place that file in your MWO folder. You will get better results.

Post Processing, Particles, Effects and Shadows to low for now. Others will come in with slightly different items.

Your 3570K should be OC between 4.2 to 4.4ghz without any major tweaking, which will boost your FPS as MWO is CPU hungry. You can compare this between the testing grounds on several maps vs what happens during live drops.

I have a 3570k oc'd 4.5ghz (slight voltage tweak to make it stable) with an AMD Nitro R9 Fury now with FPS set at 80, lows 55. Previously previously I had a HD 7950 w/max FPS set at 60fps, lows 45-50fps. On both, without a cap, max FPS 130 and 180 but the vast yo-yo effect was a strain on my eyes. And it does put a strain on the cards, hehe, hearing the fans kick it up into max.

Edit
Your mouse sensitivity setting, move it to the left, between 0.1 to 0.2. That will help with steady aiming.

Edit 2

MWO forum search engine sucks balls without shaving for a few weeks. In your browser ,put what you are looking for then add site:mwomercs.com to search the site.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 January 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#4 X Player

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

Try setting particles to low and everything else on high, at least that worked with my old i5-2500k@4,4GHz+GTX680 4GB to get 90 fps average

#5 blindhai

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

View PostSHRedo, on 08 January 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

is this a joke oO?

alone textures on medium look like garbage.That without Anti-Aliasing looks even worse.
Or do you use Nvidia Inspector and got this way uber nice graphics?

Not sure what you mean by that.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 08 January 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

Before getting into the settings, Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance.
Nvidia control panel, 3D, Power Management Mode, change from adaptive to Max performance.

Turn off Vsync but create a user.cfg file with sys_MaxFPS = 60 and place that file in your MWO folder. You will get better results.

Post Processing, Particles, Effects and Shadows to low for now. Others will come in with slightly different items.

Your mouse sensitivity setting, move it to the left, between 0.1 to 0.2. That will help with steady aiming.

Thank you! :)

I use "Process Lasso" which does the settings for max performance automatically.

View PostX Player, on 08 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

Try setting particles to low and everything else on high, at least that worked with my old i5-2500k@4,4GHz+GTX680 4GB to get 90 fps average

ok, i will try that too. Thanks

#6 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

You might try checking if hyper-threading is turned on (in the BIOS)
The joke is that players with decent rigs still get crappy FPS, and the joke is on all of us.

#7 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

I have an aging computer (5-6 years old) and I can run at 1080P with 60 FPS in all but the heaviest firefights (drops to about 45 FPS). I have extensively tried every optimization trick that I could and I found that the things that made the most difference was to turn particles and shadows LOW, AA to FXAA (works with 680GTX), motion blur OFF, everything else Very High. I do use VSYNC because I only have a 60hz monitor and it stops screen tearing (plus it will never display more than 60FPS anyway) and I am from the Atari generation so 60 FPS is still impressive to me. Also, playing in Fullscreen mode rather than windowed helps for some people too.

View PostSparrow1250, on 09 January 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

You might try checking if hyper-threading is turned on (in the BIOS)
The joke is that players with decent rigs still get crappy FPS, and the joke is on all of us.

Yeah, Hyper-Threading and HPET should be enabled in your BIOS, but those settings are usually on by default in a modern PC.

#8 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

View Postblindhai, on 08 January 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

set textures to medium and watch the camo patterns (lines, symbols) on your mechs.
Now set textures to high and compare

Further more setting object detail to medium leads to distant terrain not beeing rendered correctly what leads
to shot an invisible obstacle instead of the mech behind it.

My tip is set particles to medium.Thats a big improvement fps wise.
And dont use MSAA/TXAA.Thats the biggest FPS killer i saw in a game so far (in other games it isnt
so performance intensive, seems to be 8x MSAA/TXAA.They shoud implement the option to only use 2x TXAA/MSAA)

#9 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

My graphics settings:
Effects :Very High (Graphics quality)
Object Detail :Very High (for best distant terrain rendering)
Particles :Medium (all important sparks and explosions visible but without the excessive smoke (fps killer) from debris)
Post Proccesing :Low (matter of taste, i think blurred mechs in 600m distance is a disadvantage)
Shading :Very High (Graphics quality)
Shadows :Medium (Low makes shadows dissapear completely, they can make enemys visible around corners)
Texturing :High (on Low/medium mechs camos just look awfull)
Enviorment :High (Graphics quality)
Anti Aliasing :Post-AA (matter of taste, but disabeling it completely just dont look good imo)

I play on an 4x4 ghz i5 with an aged Nvidia GTX 750ti (2GB) and have 50 fps, in Faction Warfare 40 fps

#10 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

Nvidia cards since the 680 GTX are all optimized for most modern AA modes. The biggest issues are the horribly optimized particle effects and shadowing in this game that can bring even the most powerful modern PC to its knees.

#11 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:29 AM

View Postblindhai, on 08 January 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Thank you! :)

I use "Process Lasso" which does the settings for max performance automatically.

ok, i will try that too. Thanks

You could leave everything on very high

The 3 culprits are

Particles (set to medium, or even low; at least you're not blinded by smoke)
Shadows (surprising how much it costs, doesn't look that good)
Environment; but leave it for last and lower only if you have to

Those create a lot of CPU intense stuff, and since MWO can't multithread so well and lots of things are left unoptimized, bring you're fps down the most

Textures should have literally no effect on fps at all
But looks a lot worse on lower settings

Try which DX API works better for you

For me it used to be dx9 gives higher fps, but now DX11 does
Go figure

Personally I don't like AA in this game
Makes things look blurry, also costs a lot fps wise

View PostS0ulReapr, on 09 January 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

HPET should be enabled in your BIOS, but those settings are usually on by default in a modern PC.

Doesn't mean windows is using it though
Windows 10 doesn't if you're not forcing it

It's also one of the things to try out
It works better for me without HPET

#12 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

There is also this:

Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames

http://www.pcgamesn....edvr-windows-10

#13 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 10 January 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

You could leave everything on very high

The 3 culprits are

Particles (set to medium, or even low; at least you're not blinded by smoke)
Shadows (surprising how much it costs, doesn't look that good)
Environment; but leave it for last and lower only if you have to

Those create a lot of CPU intense stuff, and since MWO can't multithread so well and lots of things are left unoptimized, bring you're fps down the most

Textures should have literally no effect on fps at all
But looks a lot worse on lower settings

Try which DX API works better for you

For me it used to be dx9 gives higher fps, but now DX11 does
Go figure

Personally I don't like AA in this game
Makes things look blurry, also costs a lot fps wise

Doesn't mean windows is using it though
Windows 10 doesn't if you're not forcing it

It's also one of the things to try out
It works better for me without HPET

Yeah, HPET is dependant on many factors to work well. Also, you are right, I forgot to mention that there are many guides on how to enable HPET in Windows too, Tom's Hardware Guide is a good place to look.

#14 Edward Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostSparrow1250, on 10 January 2017 - 07:52 AM, said:

There is also this:

Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames

http://www.pcgamesn....edvr-windows-10

Nice, I had not heard of this yet, although I have not noticed any performance difference since upgrading to Win 10 other than faster load times.

#15 A DRUNK GUY

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

This is kind of an embarrassment that this game is still so poorly optimized. It's 2017 now and I feel like the performance of this game isn't much better now then it was at launch. I would actually pay for them to optimize the game. I'd much rather buy that then another mech pack.

Also my PC specs are.
I7 4770k
16gigs Corsair Vengence
Game installed on Samsung EVO SSD
GTX 1080
Corsair 850 80+ Platinum PSU

Frames are anywhere from 190 to 25 and never consistent. Very frustrating sometimes.

#16 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostX Player, on 08 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

kill particles and everything else can go to Very High and you should get above 60fps... Particles are so bad, they bottleneck the cpu with a bazillion calls so nothing else can get done since the game is poorly optimized. just prevent the junk from clogging up the lanes and it should be butter smooth with the hardware you have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users