Best Light Killer

47 replies to this topic

#1 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Thinking about purchasing a Squirrel Killer, a mech for hunting down those pesky Locust, Spiders and Arctic Cheetahs that flank your slower mechs and bait teams to chase the squirrel.

Still hear good things about Streak Crow, any other favorites for hunting pest?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

Now, I might sound like a broken record... But the Huntsman can do a reasonable job of this. I currently have the Hero set up with 2 ERLLs and 4 SRM4s. Nothing says you can't change out the SRMs for SSRMs and add in an AP. The Huntsman P should also be able to do this task well (I don't own it yet). The Nova with 10 ERS(P)Ls can also to the task well. I'm sure a Vyper could as well, some med lasers of some kinda and two (S)SRM6s. If you want something faster and lighter than most medium mechs, the Adder can also do rather well, but so can the Jenner IIC.

For IS, the Jenner can do that task, as well as a Kintaro I would imagine. A Catapult/Archer is a bit slow, but depending upon the build... I also would consider the Dragon a reasonable light killer mech as well. At least, my Dragon was back when I used it. Been some time since then. Has an (U)AC5, (ER)LL, BAP and 2 SSRM2s. (Things mentioned here was before, and after the quirks where added in,) AC shoots fast enough to track the target, SSRMs only need a lock, and it's fast enough to keep up with a light mech well enough to hurt them, or at least scare them off if needed.

Really, any mechs that can take massive numbers of SSRMs can be converted into a light killer. As well as any mech that can take enough Pin Point damage with someone able to hit a fast mech. When all you need to do is land one hit on them... (Large swarms of SRMs can also do the trick, just aim for their legs though!) Any MPL or SL/ERSL/SPL can also to the task if you can keep our cross hairs on them well enough...

#3 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

I recommend a Shadow Cat with 3x SSRM6 and TAG. It is faster, more maneuverable and jump capable compared to the streak crow at the cost of total alpha.

Other choices might fast medium pulse boats like the Cicada-2B or Crab.

Jenner IIC with streaks and a BAP should work too.

#4 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostTesunie, on 09 January 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

I also would consider the Dragon a reasonable light killer mech as well. At least, my Dragon was back when I used it. Been some time since then. Has an (U)AC5, (ER)LL, BAP and 2 SSRM2s. (Things mentioned here was before, and after the quirks where added in,) AC shoots fast enough to track the target, SSRMs only need a lock, and it's fast enough to keep up with a light mech well enough to hurt them, or at least scare them off if needed.

Hmm... I have a sudden urge to take my Fang out with a 360XL and triple large pulse lasers. With 15% energy cooldown, heat generation and laser duration quirks, that could be a surprisingly dangerous mech, albeit fragile and nowhere near 'top tier'.

#5 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

My worst enemies as a Light:

Streakcrow is my most feared showstoper. But they are rare.

There are some setups I tend to stay away from:
Any medium with brawl loadout that is aware of you. They are agile enough to deal a lot of dmg. Or to alpha you into oblivion... something like 9 SPL Nova.
IS AC Boats: If they are bad, you can harass them, but if they can aim... god be with you. Same as with any good PPFLD mech+pilot. First hit can be the last one.

The mechs I played and think are good against lights:
streak crow: You are the lighthunter. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you are happy with this task only, get the crow, slap streaks on it...
nova/HBK-IIC-A with SPLs, if you want to brawl, or as laser vomit if you can keep some range and predict where the light will come from.
If you are blessed with reflexes and aim of an jedi master:
Get a Nova/HBK-IIC-A with 2 erppcs HBK-IIC or GI with gauss rifles and legg them in one or two shots if they dare to harass your mates. In the rest of the time, shoot the main forces.

Two hints:
Any agile, non lurm/sniper mech with geared and unlocked arms will make a good lighthunter.
And now, in my opinion, the most important one: Know your enemy. Take some time and C-Bills buy a locust/ACH. Learn to harass with them. One of the things you will lern is: the best lightkiller is the pilot, who knows the run paths of the squirrel, who can predict, where and when the next light will show up.

Edited by Nerokar, 10 January 2017 - 01:46 AM.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

I present to you, the IS response to the Streak Crow.

ARC-5W

Tremble Ye Mist Lynxes!

~Leone.

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

View PostNerokar, on 10 January 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

My worst enemies as a Light:

Streakcrow is my most feared showstoper. But they are rare.

There are some setups I tend to stay away from:
Any medium with brawl loadout that is aware of you. They are agile enough to deal a lot of dmg. Or to alpha you into oblivion... something like 9 SPL Nova.
IS AC Boats: If they are bad, you can harass them, but if they can aim... god be with you. Same as with any good PPFLD mech+pilot. First hit can be the last one.

The mechs I played and think are good against lights:
streak crow: You are the lighthunter. Nothing more. Nothing less. If you are happy with this task only, get the crow, slap streaks on it...
nova/HBK-IIC-A with SPLs, if you want to brawl, or as laser vomit if you can keep some range and predict where the light will come from.
If you are blessed with reflexes and aim of an jedi master:
Get a Nova/HBK-IIC-A with 2 erppcs HBK-IIC or GI with gauss rifles and legg them in one or two shots if they dare to harass your mates. In the rest of the time, shoot the main forces.

Two hints:
Any agile, non lurm/sniper mech with geared and unlocked arms will make a good lighthunter.
And now, in my opinion, the most important one: Know your enemy. Take some time and C-Bills buy a locust/ACH. Learn to harass with them. One of the things you will lern is: the best lightkiller is the pilot, who knows the run paths of the squirrel, who can predict, where and when the next light will show up.

This guy nailed it here is my take
The mech's I avoid the most when im doing exactly what your talking about

streekcrow, Huntsman laser build, linebacker laser build, hellbringer ppc build (*arms) And Adder laser build

thats its... thats all ill avoid taken on fresh...

#8 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

What about another light? A fast close range brawling light would be more versatile then the situational streaks which only really works against lighter mechs. A fast brawling light not only make a good light hunter but can also hunt big game and can relocate, extend and retreat more efficiently then the heavier streak hunters.

An Oxide or perhaps even better a Locust 1E (6x SPL) for example. The speed advantage, especially of the locust should allow the pilot to avoid streak hunters provided situational awareness.

Edited by B3R3ND, 10 January 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

I would say that a CDA-2B would be my light hunter of choice, if I was ever piloting any other mech specifically to hunt lights. I laugh in the faces of SCRs as I eat the first volley of SSRMs and proceed to destroy their CTs while they stare me down, and the same goes for MDDs with SSRM 6x6 (yes, I've actually charged at one of those and killed it). A CDA-2B is a pain in the rear CT when you're in a light; they're rather tough, they're rather fast and agile, and they have weapons that can actually put a lot of hurt in a single component.

Other than that, probably a SRM6x5 SCR. Not one with Streaks. I'm more scared of pilots that can aim their SRMs and actually smack down a ST or CT with regularity, rather than let RNGesus do the dice roll for their targeting.

#10 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

Indeed, i think that would be an excellent choise as well - perhaps a Medusa is a nice clan alternative.

#11 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

Got good aim? If so find a mech good with dual ERPPC, hunt lights down from the comfort of 800m range, they can't outrun a PPC.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:53 AM

Best light killer is aim.

I am much more frightened of a good player with PPFLD than I am of any so-called "light hunter," including streaks.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

A good aim and PPFLD would work -- not that i have good aim, most of the time i just get lucky, but when i do it's PPFLD on their legs.

On deliberate attempts, I'd use a Streak Cat, that MASC is useful for short bursts of speed, and it's agile enough to at least retain visual on a light, just remember to keep jumping but choose your jumps. They won't vaporize lights on the spot, but they are consistent in putting hurt.

#14 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

What I fear, when I'm politing light mechs, are good pilots with gauss and ppcs. Lasers u can dodge or spread dmg with torso twisting but when u got hit by gauss and ppcs it hurts. Or a good shot from 3-4 SRM6s (not SSRMs) and you're done.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 11 January 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#15 Dandred

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:39 AM

I'd think the Shadowcat, Cicada, and viper.

The crow is pretty well known and I've had some success with the mad dog, but you need speed to be the hunter and that is not the huntsman. Unless you are looking for an ambush it style, which is what I pretty much use when dealing with lights.

The other is to keep your distance and aim. The farther away a light is, to a point, the easier it is to hit. Unless they are running straight toward you. At about 300-500 the angular deflection of any light is not hard to track, that's why they generally spiral closer to their target.

#16 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostTercieI, on 11 January 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

Best light killer is aim.

I am much more frightened of a good player with PPFLD than I am of any so-called "light hunter," including streaks.

Aim is what kills all mechs in the end, but that kinda obvious and it only really works when you are aware of the light's presence and whereabouts. But when an assault gets ambushed and got its rear towards a light, aim is not going to do much... maybe you take the light out, but thats because of an error on the light pilots end, not the assault. Even an assault boating streaks won't do you much good if the light is able to stay in your blindspot. This is partly true for heavies al tough its more likely to catch the light in its sights sooner or later.

Anyway, ppfld might be the appropriate type of weapons, the platform carrying it does matter. Speed, good turning speed and torso twist range and speed make a lot of difference. Thats where most medium and especially the stormcrow excels compared to other possible "light hunters".

Edit; as a light pilot, i would try to avoid giving the enemy the opportunity to shoot me in the first place. There's no reason to allow the enemy to shoot at you with gauss and ppc's from far away when the light is geared for close range combat, thats just stupid piloting - it should keep its head down and find ways to get close unseen. When close, i would try only to popup when the enemy is not facing me, shooting their backs unnoticed.
When enemy is alerted i would try to find the most suitable moment to get to jump on to the enemy, get in their backs and real close, right at their feet. At point blank range, most mechs can't even see a locust, let alone aim and shoot at it. I would try to remain in the enemies blind spot at all times, the enemy knows im there but what you can't see, you can't shoot either... In my view, a light hunter is a mech that is able to counter these tactics regardless of its weapons.

Ps. the above description is how to operate a light "perfectly" imo, sooner or later errors are made and one good hit let all my tactics and plans crumble Posted Image

Edited by B3R3ND, 11 January 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 11 January 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

Aim is what kills all mechs in the end, but that kinda obvious and it only really works when you are aware of the light's presence and whereabouts. But when an assault gets ambushed and got its rear towards a light, aim is not going to do much... maybe you take the light out, but thats because of an error on the light pilots end, not the assault. This is partly true for heavies al tough its more likely to catch the light in its sights sooner or later.

Anyway, ppfld might be the appropriate type of weapons, the platform carrying it does matter. Speed or good turning range and turning speed make a lot of difference. Thats where most medium and especially the stormcrow excels compared to other possible "light hunters".

Meh. That's all baseline stuff. If your positioning and situational awareness is bad, the mech can't fix that. The point is "dedicated light hunter" isn't really a thing. Good players kill lights in whatever they're driving. As a light pilot (which is what I am, especially in comp), PPFLD is what's scary. Sure, streaks are scary, but they're easily avoided unless it's a particularly constructed comp drop and hurt the team they're on badly vs most other weapon systems, so they remain a poor choice when building mechs.

#18 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:01 AM

I agree that PPFLD is what really hurts, myself as a light pilot knows that one good hit is all it takes... My point is that PPFLD is not going to solve a problem with lights either. If there's a problem with lights it means there's a problem with map control, positioning and situational awareness, this is what profits the light. You might partially fix that with a dedicated light hunter but that creates problems else where, better to fix the underlying problem.

You as a light pilot, will also know that for the most part you can dictate how, where, when and whom to fight, right? Its not that the assault in question is assaulting you nor you as a light pilot are frontally assaulting an assault... Its mostly the light that picks his fights and how to fight not the other way around unless you are cornered and have no other options. This is all provided there's space and opportunity for that. Deny that, with good positioning and awareness, and the light has no business.

Edited by B3R3ND, 11 January 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#19 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Just something I was considering for fun on PUG drops. Good number of my mechs are in the 55-85 ton range set up for Brawls to mid range with a few sniper builds, though I should consider something for new for lighter, faster machine considering my focus is usually on bigger targets.

I do own a Wolfhound pack I hardly use anymore post rescale but I remember hearing good things about the Streak Crow and just thought I should ask if it was still a fun ride with the Huntsman and Hunchback rise in popularity.

#20 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Honestly the best anti light Mechs are light Mechs. The Adder(puma) and Jenner iic have enough fire power to deal with most lights.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users