4 replies to this topic

#1 Internal Obedience XIII-omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 235 posts
  • LocationHPG LXXIII-omega

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Recently made a thread discussing some items from PCPartPicker. And a few of you guys have pointed out some things not needed or suggested, i am thankful for that. Ive been really surfing PCPartPicker a lot lately and have come to reading all sorts of builds. So now for the 3rd time i have revised my list of parts. Ive done some comparing to most of these high end parts and have concluded this is what i want. This is the link to my revised parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tZVXhq

I have mentioned before that price isnt an issue but i should refrain myself from over budgeting, needless to say, if i want a performing PC thats gonna blow my mind, i need that part. So with that in mind, i have settled on the top 3 must have:

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card

With those 3 at the core of my build, i think i should be well satisfied... especially when completed.

So as usual, what do you think of this set up? Again this is mainly for MWO and HBS and nothing else Posted Image

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

https://pcpartpicker...&s=30&c=119&f=2

As you said, not to over budget so the major item is the Asus motherboard @ $389 when compared to the several dozen with lower prices from the low $100 to $300 ranges.

#3 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

this mythbuster video from LinusTechTips still stands to these day

you dont need an expensive mobo to get the best performance

also you can save more money buy buying Windows 10 pro key here

https://www.kinguin....sional-oem-key/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($174.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($334.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($624.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($177.54 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2236.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-13 23:01 EST-0500

I am not sure why you need 64GB of RAM unless you use the excess RAM for RAMCache

high speed RAM isnt needed unless your workloads involves rendering videos

I will suggest getting a M.2 Samsung 960Pro if you want blazing fast storage but getting a 120GB SSD for OS is not advised with WIndows 10 and its updates. 250GB is the minimum.

View PostElizavitka Kerensky, on 13 January 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

Recently made a thread discussing some items from PCPartPicker. And a few of you guys have pointed out some things not needed or suggested, i am thankful for that. Ive been really surfing PCPartPicker a lot lately and have come to reading all sorts of builds. So now for the 3rd time i have revised my list of parts. Ive done some comparing to most of these high end parts and have concluded this is what i want. This is the link to my revised parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tZVXhq

I have mentioned before that price isnt an issue but i should refrain myself from over budgeting, needless to say, if i want a performing PC thats gonna blow my mind, i need that part. So with that in mind, i have settled on the top 3 must have:

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card

With those 3 at the core of my build, i think i should be well satisfied... especially when completed.

So as usual, what do you think of this set up? Again this is mainly for MWO and HBS and nothing else Posted Image

#4 Gaarafield

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPST Time Zone

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

While I've been doing a bit of research on ram for my own sake recently, I'd say you're overpaying for the ram you are getting.

At 3.0Ghz and CL15, that's a 10nanosecond response time that you could get in a much cheaper package. However, I haven't spent time digging into overclocking ram so perhaps the heatsinks and build around the ram allow it to stay cooler (but that's also a function of case flow - don't assume you only need to cool your CPU and GPU).

If you want something with a fast response time, you may want to take a look at these. They may be only 2.4Ghz, but it's a CL10 which is hard to find and providing ~8nanosecond response time for much less in cost. From what I understand, you won't notice the difference, but if you're going for that flashy stat sheet, it can help. Again, I'm not sure about overclocking potential with these beyond XMP as I wasn't planning on it.
https://www.amazon.c...=I3BLLO7O9E3CJ8

Regarding the board, aren't those upper end ASUS boards more built around custom water cooling? Personally, I've went with the ASUS Z270-E with my AIO as I figured everything else beyond that had nothing that was truly benefiting me, but I could be wrong.

As for storage, why buy 2 smaller SSDs when you could just get a larger one (say 1TB). I haven't poked around with the prices, but you could certainly look for a much larger one and then partition the drive to however you want it. I use an old 840 EVO 750GB for windows and my main applications while housing other odds and ends on a couple of multi-TB Barracudas. When I bought the EVO 3 years ago, I had read the 1TB EVOs were having some performance issues and it was better to go under 1TB. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but something to do some research on.

Have fun and enjoy the new toys!

Edited by Gaarafield, 13 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#5 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

Oooook with a couple of people mentioning RAM, let's have a small chat. Actually, I'm just going to say things, and then you're going to go "oh, ok."

1) If you care about getting every little bit out of your RAM, you're caring about the wrong thing most of the time. There are scenarios where RAM latency and bandwidth can matter. Gaming is not necessarily one of those scenarios.

2) If you go too low, as in too high for latency or too low for speed or both, you can hurt your gaming experience. For gaming with DDR4, the line where a loss becomes measurable is DDR4-2400 for quad-channel and DDR4-2666 for dual-channel with CL16. So stick with DDR4-2800 or faster and CL15 or faster.

3) If you still want to go all-out on RAM even though it won't mean anything to you past what I listed above, the -only- way to go is a high-end X99 system where the board supports like DDR4-3200 or faster. X99 features delicious quad-channel RAM support so you can pack in gobs and gobs of really fast stuff to get absolutely ludicrous bandwidth. Skylake-X chips on X299 (coming later this year I believe) will expand support for faster DDR4 on quad-channel.

4) Seriously, just get 16GB of DDR4-3200 and call it a day. There's little reason to go further if you're just gaming on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users