83 replies to this topic

#21 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Good news! I think new tech is the best way to balance factions without losing each faction's flavor.

I'm looking forward to some good long range IS weapon options.

#22 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 13 January 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

3063 for Farnir, Heavy Gauss, and LFE.

Not that they are stellar, I just want them.

Fafnir is one of the few remaining mechs that would totally destroy my wallet.

#23 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:05 PM

Balance Adjustments
January will see a number of balance-related adjustments, including a fix for AMS not reacting correctly to certain angles of incoming fire, quirk adjustments for 7 IS ‘Mechs and 6 Clan ‘Mechs – the details of which will be provided in full with the January patch notes – along with a reduction to Clan XL Engine Cooling Efficiency in the event of Side Torso destruction; bringing the total efficiency penalty from its current 20% up to 40%.

In regards to the Clan XL change, the balance dynamic between Inner Sphere and Clans is something that we have and will continue to evaluate heavily. This adjustment to Clan XL cooling efficiency is a step in that process, making the loss of a Side Torso more impactful on the performance of Clan ‘Mechs.

Do most of you who were against making the isXL durable really okay with PGI going this route with cXL generating an even larger heat penalty? (chuckles) That is simply frak. Later they could change the movement penalty to be 40% too....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 January 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#24 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

ATM warheads should be fun

#25 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Notice that with this upcoming update, Clan XL engines that lose a side torso will go up to a 40% heat increase instead of a 20%, while Inner Sphere XL Engines have no such problem (because, well, you're dead instead). If Inner Sphere Light Fusion Engines function as normal Inner Sphere XL's but with only 25% weight savings while using only 2 critical slots, one would think it would also use the old heat penalty of 20%, rather than the Clan's updated nerfed rating.

While the IS LFE isn't as good as the clan XL, it might at least have that going for it in terms of the heat penalty. I kind of expect this to happen.

#26 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

[color=#FFAE00]"And finally, a special announcement….[/color]

For some time now, the selection of weapons and equipment technology in MechWarrior Online has been an ongoing discussion, both internally here at Piranha Games and in discussions throughout the community. Not since the Clan Invasion have we seen a major release of advanced technology onto the battlefields of the Inner Sphere.
The time has come for a new era of ‘Mech warfare.
This March, we will be detailing the mid-summer release of new Inner Sphere and Clan weaponry and equipment for MechWarrior Online. The timeline is advancing, and with it comes not only a new array of potential weapons and equipment technology with which to customize your existing ‘Mechs, but the potential for an array of new and remarkable ‘Mechs to pilot and customize.
Coinciding with the early March announcement of these new technologies, four new ‘Mechs will be announced and launched for pre-order to herald this new era. The Inner Sphere and Clans will both be receiving two ‘Mechs, with at least one of their two respective ‘Mechs hailing from the 3060+ era.
While these ‘Mechs and new technologies will be released simultaneously in the summer, the technologies are not reliant or restricted to the new ‘Mechs. Upon release, the MechLab will simply be expanded with new weapons, new equipment, and new opportunities for customization.
These new technologies will no doubt represent a big step forward in build diversity and gameplay, and it must be stressed that we are committed to ensuring that the introduction of these new technologies doesn’t upend or undo the work that has gone into the current state of balance.
While it remains to be seen how this timeline advancement will impact Faction Play and its current layout, we'll evaluate and discuss its potential impacts with you as we approach closer to release.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this glimpse of what’s coming for MechWarrior Online, and as usual, the items above are only a selection of things you can expect to see in 2017.
The year is shaping up to include more waves of quality-of-life improvements and refinements, along with additional features and items currently in the planning and design phase; so stay tuned MechWarriors.

A new era approaches."

I'm crying right now, well not really but I've been a big advocate for it so I'm pretty happy right now.

And for those that said it wasn't gonna happen: "suck it", if enough people talked about it then they would have no choice but to add it.

PS: I really didn't mean it when I said "suck it" I was just happy. lol

#27 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 13 January 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Do most of you who were against making the isXL durable really okay with PGI going this route with cXL generating an even larger heat penalty? (chuckles) That is simply frak. Later they could change the movement penalty to be 40% too....

Let it be nerf and instead of buff.

I hope you like red letters.

#28 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

I really hope we get laser AMS's for both sides along with the other missing tech that is long overdue.

#29 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:05 PM

RAC2 or Riot!!!!

#30 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 13 January 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'm against more IS XL durability and I'm not exactly thrilled about that change, especially if it has implications for light fusion engines which it likely does, but I can't conclusively say that I think it's a bad idea.

I do think it would probably better for other changes to compensate for IS vs clan balance though and the engines should be largely left alone, aside from implementing LFEs for Inner Sphere.

Edited by Pjwned, 13 January 2017 - 09:08 PM.

#31 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 13 January 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Notice that with this upcoming update, Clan XL engines that lose a side torso will go up to a 40% heat increase instead of a 20%, while Inner Sphere XL Engines have no such problem (because, well, you're dead instead). If Inner Sphere Light Fusion Engines function as normal Inner Sphere XL's but with only 25% weight savings while using only 2 critical slots, one would think it would also use the old heat penalty of 20%, rather than the Clan's updated nerfed rating.

While the IS LFE isn't as good as the clan XL, it might at least have that going for it in terms of the heat penalty. I kind of expect this to happen.

The heat penalty isn't much of a penalty, though. When you lose an ST, it typically takes a large portion of your firepower with it. So your two or three lasers left-over fire a little hotter, big deal. That's not going to really hurt your output. And even if it does, we're getting to a point where being able to survive an ST loss is a useless feature. What then?

It makes far more sense to buff the isXL durability (i.e. equipping isXL automatically makes each ST == CT in armor/structure, but still explodes when either side is lost) and then actually reduce or remove the penalties for losing an ST with the Clan XL. That way, we get a real difference in theme. IS are an "all or nothing" affair with the XL and can remain a little more combat capable until they die, but they can be killed through any one of three torso sections, while Clans can survive the loss of a side but at the cost of the equipment going poof a little faster.

STD engines need to boost durability of center and sides to compensate for loss of agility and damage spreading that goes with it, as well as provide a built-in cooling bonus (i.e. +20 cap) to offset the lack of space for both firepower and cooling. LFEs would only require a small cooling bonus.

So, essentially, the cXL is the gold standard and all the other engines have bonuses to other aspects to make up for what they don't have relative to the cXL.

#32 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

you guys do know that Clan weapons are gonna get hit with penalties right?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jam chance<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 13 January 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#33 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 13 January 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

you guys do know that Clan weapons are gonna get hit with penalties right?

While that's still speculation, it would be sad if it comes to pass. The Clan weapons don't need a nerf so much as the IS ones need a buff. Hell, even a few Clan weapons here or there could use a buff (cERLL, looking at you).

#34 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 13 January 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

While that's still speculation, it would be sad if it comes to pass. The Clan weapons don't need a nerf so much as the IS ones need a buff. Hell, even a few Clan weapons here or there could use a buff (cERLL, looking at you).

Well, the IS are going to be getting weapon buffs in the form of new weapons(with trade offs).

Going to see how this plays out, can only give an accurate assessment afterwards. It will be like eating onions, and I dislike onions.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image
just hoping for Arctic Wolf for 2017. #MediumMechs4Lyf

#36 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 January 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

Aiming a bit high? might as well.

#37 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 13 January 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

Posted Image

That torso looks crazy close to the awesome-8R with 4xSRM6's.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostGrimRiver, on 13 January 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

That torso looks crazy close to the awesome-8R with 4xSRM6's.

40 ton 120 kph Awesome... with 9 missile hardpoints. Do my ARC-5W build... with twice the speed...or ... well, lots of splat options.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 13 January 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#39 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm looking forwards to this. Still, it'll be a good year for me as long as none of CDS' overrated Junkmechs™ come to pollute this game.

Edited by Requiemking, 13 January 2017 - 10:02 PM.

#40 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 13 January 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

Well, the IS are going to be getting weapon buffs in the form of new weapons(with trade offs).

Going to see how this plays out, can only give an accurate assessment afterwards. It will be like eating onions, and I dislike onions.

remember us Clan get our own share of weapons(ATMs HeavyLasers I-PPCs),
OmniSuperchargers, and Watchdog Composite Electronic Warfare System (CEWS)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users