• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's so simple. It would make so many people happy. Just a pure urban map.

No rivers, no mountains, no frozen valleys, no volcanoes, or other dominating terrain features. Just lots of buildings, small parks, parking lots and plazas. Mostly buildings. Row after row, block after block of buildings.

No definite bottlenecks, no giant platforms, just a big network of different roads and alleys, allowing the players maximum freedom to maneuver between buildings.

We already have destructible street lights, signs and trees. We have containers and fences that we can knock over. We have destructible pillars and perhaps the same effect could be used on giant buildings too? Add some destructible cars and, well, we've got basically everything we need to recreate the 2011 Mechwarrior teaser.

PGI already has all the textures and more than enough buildings. It's just a matter of putting it on a big map and doing some playtesting.

If you are interested in a big urban map for MWO in 2017, a bigger cityscape than we have in River City, Frozen City and Crimson Strait, please express your desire here and help me keep this thread visible for a while. Maybe even keep it visible until PGI either gives us an urban map or says it's never going to happen.

#urbanmap2017?

View PostRed Shrike, on 16 January 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by Tristan Winter, 16 January 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

When I think urban combat, I always default to this.

That, and the MW4:Mercs mission to help the one planetary council get off-planet for free. God that mission was fun.

Honestly, the only thing I have against urban maps is that LRMs will need to get re-worked to be less terrible for direct LoS firing, with higher velocities and lower flight arcs. Do that, and by god I'll join the urban map hype.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Sure, why not? Maybe Urbanmechs would become meta.

#4 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Big urban map + destructible buildings is a must. While LRM pretty much will be useless in this map. At least destroyed buildings can make some room for LRM.

#5 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

A mega cities like The Matrix or Judge Dredd?

River city without the river and all city?

Yes please.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 15 January 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

No rivers, no mountains, no frozen valleys, no volcanoes, or other dominating terrain features. Just lots of buildings, small parks, parking lots and plazas. Mostly buildings. Row after row, block after block of buildings.

Yes. But I'd like some large craters with adjacent buildings severely damaged as a stand in for parks or other open areas. I want urban combat, and the look and feel of an urban hellscape.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 15 January 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yes. But I'd like some large craters with adjacent buildings severely damaged as a stand in for parks or other open areas. I want urban combat, and the look and feel of an urban hellscape.

And to stress destructible items or mechs will get stuck everywhere with how PGI has the game setup. Remember the small statues that people would get stuck on the River City map.../shudders...

#8 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 15 January 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Big urban map + destructible buildings is a must. While LRM pretty much will be useless in this map. At least destroyed buildings can make some room for LRM.

If the map is big enough, you could have areas with buildings that are relatively low. If you look at the top screenshot, the Warhammer is standing next to a parking complex that would only partially block LRMs. You could avoid LRMs by just staying near the tall buildings, of course, but other maps also have areas that are almost completely safe from LRMs. Most obvious examples are Crimson Strait (below platform) and HPG Manfiold (basement), but there's also an area on Tourmaline desert where you're fairly safe from LRMs from most angles.

It would definitely be the worst map in the game for LRMs, but when you have a map like Polar Highlands (which I love) with virtually zero tall terrain, I feel that it's only appropriate to have the opposite type of map.

#9 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

The game needs a map like this badly , something without choke points , killing fields , and wide open areas with no way of crossing without losing half your mech. It would also prompt people to take more close range set ups. Games could also have a higher turn around chance as death balling would be harder and smaller skirmishes would be more prominent.

#10 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 15 January 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Personally, I've always prefered the idea of fighting in a relatively untouched city, one that was simply deserted when the fighting started. But some people prefer urban hellscapes with craters and ruins and all that jazz.

Frankly, as long as it's a big, pure urban map, I won't complain whether it's super futuristic and clean or ruined and dirty or burning or covered by rubble, snow, sand, vegetation or whatever else. There are many different urban maps to be made. I'm happy to get any of them, as long as it's a big urban map.

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Yes please.

View PostBombast, on 02 November 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Possibilities include:

- Tukayyid - False City. Set up in 3052, this fake metropolitan area was set up to confuse Clan invaders. A variety of traps, false buildings, and underground areas are present, allowing for sneak attacks and flanking maneuvers

- New Avalon - NAIS Complex. The shining jewel of the Federated Suns/Commonwealth, NAIS has occasionally come under fire. Hanse Davion himself once waged battle against ComStar forces on it's grounds. A combination of tall buildings and open plazas provide much cover and avenues for assault.

- Luthien - Weeaboo Palace. Anime and stuff.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 15 January 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Personally, I've always prefered the idea of fighting in a relatively untouched city, one that was simply deserted when the fighting started. But some people prefer urban hellscapes with craters and ruins and all that jazz.

Frankly, as long as it's a big, pure urban map, I won't complain whether it's super futuristic and clean or ruined and dirty or burning or covered by rubble, snow, sand, vegetation or whatever else. There are many different urban maps to be made. I'm happy to get any of them, as long as it's a big urban map.

Yes. My thought on craters was merely a "look and feel" idea for providing the small open areas akin to a park or lot. The distinction being that some craters might make for a cool visual and maybe add some terrain texture. But frankly, yeah just give us a dense urban map and the rest is gravy.

#13 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostBombast, on 15 January 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Yes please.

Eeeeeeeeeeey. Forgot about that old post. But if one of the Tukayyid fake cities shows up, we better get the Piranha at the same time.

#14 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostSkanderborg, on 15 January 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

The game needs a map like this badly , something without choke points , killing fields , and wide open areas with no way of crossing without losing half your mech. It would also prompt people to take more close range set ups. Games could also have a higher turn around chance as death balling would be harder and smaller skirmishes would be more prominent.

Definitely agree with this. And if the bases were spread far apart in Conquest, and the map was big enough to make capping a viable strategy (unlike on small maps), then you could get lots of 4v4 lance on lance combat, because people would be forced to spread out to avoid losing by cap.

In my opinion, 4v4 combat on River City is very unusual, even in Conquest, because the map is so small.

#15 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Yes. Dear merciful Mechjeezuz, this. A good cityscape brawling map is an absolute must. We have sniper maps out the arse and halfway down the drainpipe, it is time to bring it home for the HBKs and Urbies of the world. No large open spaces to cross, no NASCAR-encouraging big terrain features, just a giant urban sprawl with lots of nooks and crannies to duck into.

#16 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

yes to the basic grid layout Urban Map !

View PostRestosIII, on 15 January 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

@RestosIII. Thanks for posting this link, i haven't seen that intro in years Posted Image

Edited by Strelok7, 15 January 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Many moons ago, PGI bragged to the gaming rags that there were many highly urban maps ready to go. Well, we all know all of that was a big ******* lie, especially given that small-time hillbilly town masquerading as one.

Given this, what are the chances of that actually happening?

Edited by Mystere, 15 January 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#18 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostMystere, on 15 January 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

Many moons ago, PGI bragged to the gaming rags that there were many highly urban maps ready to go. Well, we all know all of that was a big ******* lie, especially given that small-time hillbilly town masquerading as one.

Given this, what are the chances of that actually happening?

I've never seen any statement like that. If true, I think this could very well have been a PGI "exaggeration". River city + Frozen city + Crimson strait (even though it was a relatively late release) may have been the "many" urban maps they were talking about.

Whatever the case may be, I do imagine we will get new maps in 2017, no matter what. And if we can nudge them towards making the right choice instead of giving us a QP version of Vitric Forge (which, sadly, is probably more likely to happen), then bumping this thread from time to time is worth the time, in my mind.

#19 Marius Romanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Seriously needed, more important than fixing the hero maurauders skin.

#20 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

PGI's map design and map feature technology have both improved enough that I think they could actually do a Down Town map and make it work.

A proper Space Port map would be great too, complete with parked and powered-down Overlords and Unions (in addition to Leopards and whatever the vehicle transport dropships are that show up on so many maps). This would be even better if it could showcase explosive destructibles, like fuel trucks/tanks, munitions crates, etc.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 15 January 2017 - 12:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users