- - - - -

Best (Is) Assault Mech To Dual Ac 20?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Trunok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

I love assaults and IS ac20, i'm on the fence about the KGC000B, that has great support weapons to difersify range but has bad hitboxes, and the mauler that doesn't need to worry about convergency but has less armor (while having better hitboxes), but the best option for support weapons are 2 srm 6's high mounted since his energy hardpoints are bad. so it is a just brawler mech, i'm planning on running both on std 300 so the mauler is faster, what you guys think?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

I hate to say it, but we do not have any other IS assaults that 'could' carry twin AC/20s.
Your next high level bet is the Rifleman followed by the Jagermech (any) and Catapult K2 and those are all heavies.

King Crab actually isn't as bad as you think. Just channel the armor forward and do not let them get behind you.
For the Mauler it is much the same, channel the armor forward and do not let them get behind you.

Far as backup weapons, with the King Crab I use Streaks and some pulse lasers because it is often not worth wasting my precious AC/20 ammo on light mechs.

Never thought of using the AC/20s on the Mauler; I got the one with all the ballistic hardpoints so I like hammering people like this.

Edited by Koniving, 15 January 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#3 BCAW

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

I hate to say it, but we do not have any other IS assaults that 'could' carry twin AC/20s.
Your next high level bet is the Rifleman followed by the Jagermech (any) and Catapult K2 and those are all heavies.

King Crab actually isn't as bad as you think. Just channel the armor forward and do not let them get behind you.
For the Mauler it is much the same, channel the armor forward and do not let them get behind you.

Well technically, Mauler and the Cyclops hero (Slepnir) can do it. Whether those builds are good is kind of another matter though.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostBCAW, on 15 January 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Well technically, Mauler and the Cyclops hero (Slepnir) can do it. Whether those builds are good is kind of another matter though.

I didn't think of that; not familiar with it.

In general I find that the 90 tonners aren't "fast enough"... A King Crab has the advantage of
Posted Image
And from there it's just doom for the enemy.
(Don't make me explain the meme.)
In other words, King Crab just needs to position and wait.
A Mauler.... doesn't have that ability. It's just...too...tall.

Edited by Koniving, 15 January 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#5 BCAW

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

I didn't think of that; not familiar with it.

In general I find that the 90 tonners aren't "fast enough"... A King Crab has the advantage of
Posted Image
And from there it's just doom for the enemy.
(Don't make me explain the meme.)
In other words, King Crab just needs to position and wait.
A Mauler.... doesn't have that ability. It's just...too...tall.

The Mauler does have better weapon geometry and hitboxes though.

Anyway, decided to go on smurfy and screw around a bit.

Mauler: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93102edcf7411e9 chose 3 SRM4 instead of 2 SRM6 for better spread and DPS.

Slepnir: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6009287d50e1629 62kph is not bad for a 90 ton IS assault with STD engine. Also can zombie for a bit after the STs are blown off.

P.S.: the meme I usually associate with the KGC is Giant Enemy Crab (thanks Sony).

Edited by BCAW, 15 January 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

In my case, it's that experience you have when you turn the corner and die instantly.

Hence the meme of choice.
After all, twin AC/20 + cockpit = instant death on literally Every. Single. Target. you can have in the game.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Be warned: it can be fun, but in general not a good build.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, it's a niche build. But I figure that is already known.

#9 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Mauler 2P

2x AC/20
6x Medium Laser

Just a great punisher mech.

#10 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

I thought about trying it with the MX90.. dual AC-20 and a pair of ML's with a STD320 I have been meaning to try it just for the heck of it.. Can carry enough shots, but i just don't know if it would be worth it. It would be a little bit slower than the Jag or Boom cat, but carry a bit more ammo and have a lot more armor..

IMO it would have the best quirks, meaning range, heat and velocity.

It also would have shield arms for the most part, so would most likely last longer with dual BOOM. down side would be torso mounted so not as much moving for hitting things either Up or down..

Should have my ac20 ranged module unlocked by the time i finish leveling my heavies.. I am also working on maulers, so i will give this a try soon and get back to you.. Perhaps next week if you are not in a hurry

#11 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

It's not an assault but dual ac20 can also be done with the Warhammer. It's not quite as much of a glass cannon as the jager, and you can actually have a couple mediums as backups. Std 250, 6 tons of ammo, 2 ML, goes 62 with speed tweek. I've run it a dozen or so matches. Does ok - nothing special, but I have problems with mechs under 70 kph. Would probably be good in faction warfare, invasion maps, defense. You could drop the mediums there for more armor/ammo assuming your team understood that you were not going to be shooting down UAVs.

#12 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

Mauler for sure. I used to run it with dual 20's and large lasers or PPCs. You have to pick your battles wisely but it can put mechs down fast with proper aim.

#13 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

I would recommend the King Crab if Dual AC20s is your wish.

I personally find Quad Uac5's on a King Crab much more lethal.

For more mobility with Dual AC20s, the Catapult is a better choice. Then Jager.

Enjoi

#14 Gladius55

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

I run a Kodiak 3 with 4 uac 10 and lots of ammo. its really good at close range and medium range. For longer ranges I have to do a little kentucky windage. If you have to get in a heavy or assaults face it seems to blind them and they often back off pretty quick. My second choice is a mech with 2 erppc and 2uac 20s.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users