8 replies to this topic

#1 Sickario

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

Okay so because of a winning a few Supply Caches I won some Cool Shot 18's. I still haven't unlocked the skill that upgrades Cool Shot 9 by 9. Should I not bother spending points on it and just keep the 18s equipped or will unlocking the 9+9 allow me to basically use ComStar Bills instead of Mech Credits every time I use them to cool my mech?

On a related note, will getting the skill Improved Air Strike have the same effect, as in allowing me to use Air Strike instead of Priority Air Strike and therefore use C-Bills instead of Credits to the same effectiveness or is unlocking them a waste of XP points?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

9+9 is the cbill equivalent to the coolshot 18. So yes, it will let you not use MCs (like a chump) and have the same result.

And yes, the same is true for the Air Strike.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

after receiving the upgrade the Cbill consumables are renamed, air strike, artillary and UAV become "improved" Coolshot 9 becomes 9+9

I am pretty sure the "improved" versions are functionaly identical to the MC versions.

and just a heads up. with the skill tree revamp due sometime in Feburary we do not know if the consumable upgrades will still be available and if they are there is a good chance they will become a per Mech upgrade rather than a universal one

#4 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:41 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 15 January 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

after receiving the upgrade the Cbill consumables are renamed, air strike, artillary and UAV become "improved" Coolshot 9 becomes 9+9

I am pretty sure the "improved" versions are functionaly identical to the MC versions.

and just a heads up. with the skill tree revamp due sometime in Feburary we do not know if the consumable upgrades will still be available and if they are there is a good chance they will become a per Mech upgrade rather than a universal one

Also to clarify, you don't have to buy and equip a special module for the UAV, Strike, and coolshot upgrades in the Pilot skills. They just permanently upgrade the consumbales you equip.

I've heard that the consumable modules aren't going away with the skill tree, however whether that refers to the actual consumables or to the skills which affect them is unclear. Either way you'll get a refund on the GXP you spent so I think it's still worth it to buy this if you would have anyway.

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

My guess is, you will still have to unlock the upgrades on consumables the way it is now. I'd guess you would still get GXP under the new system. But with lots less modules to unlock, aka consumable upgrades, you can use it for unlocking skills perhaps?

I would think that the consumable upgrade modules, like accuracy would be under the mech tree thing, if they even carry over. I don't think i know anyone that even uses them.

to OP: You can spend MC on them if you just want the full version, and to save yourself some c-bills.. If you are using both it's 80k per match, Is that worth 30MC to you? Buy big packages with gobs of MC and nothing you want, it could be worth it, if you are thinking 30MC per 80k, that said, a 25MC key and supply crate is a better MC > C-bill conversion as you can average around 160-200k per open, but you need to earn a crate, the MC consumables c-bill boost can be gained every match.

One other side note, The 9X9 upgrade is good, but so is the one that boosts the total cool shot by some %. When they give away free c-bill consumables, if you have not unlocked the 9X9, you only receive the 6X6, when you do finally upgrade the 9X9, Unlike the artillery and air-strikes getting upgraded into Improved, the 6X6 stay 6X6.. (honestly pretty much useless as 6X6) So the one that boosts % helps those be at least slightly useful. I had about 100 of um that never got use as i was saving for when i upgraded, found out they don't. Posted Image So no way to get rid of them, outside of burning them in matches. at least with the booster unlocked they become slightly useful, basically getting a single round of fire off on an energy boat.

So better to upgrade first, unless you have tons of 6X6 already, then i'd take the booster, and save 15k GXP for the upgrade later.

Hope that all makes since.

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 January 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#6 Sickario

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I think JC Daxion has a specially good point. As long as I'm using Hero Mechs I should still make enough C-bills if I wind up using both (if my side wins). However I seldom use both in a fight anyway. The airstrikes are especially rare, only used if I see a bunch of enemy mechs clustered together. They usually scatter pretty fast but now and then I'll manage to get a good hit on at least one or two. But I'm thinking about only using them for emergency purposes such as if a bunch are about to close in on me through a trench, target the first or second one and hope to get a few because they'll lack the room to get away. But that's a pretty rare occurrence. BTW that brings me another question, do the strikes work in tunnels or if they have some cover above them, or do they only work outside in the open?

But yeah, 40k is definitely worth it for the 9+9. I'm learning to manage my heat better. What I'd like to do is hit Alpha, then the Cool Shot and Alpha once again immediately after and see if I don't overheat haha. If I get my aim right I imagine that it could do a nice amount of damage.

I started off with missiles, now I'm using lasers, I think next I need to find a mech that lets me use a few UAC's. In time I want to become familiar with all weapon systems, lasers are nice but when we wind up picking the hotter zones it can be a detriment.

Edited by Sickario, 16 January 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

They only work in the open. I like using airstrikes against cover to hit mechs getting ready to poke out. It'll net you less damage since it's usually just one of two mechs, but it can help with trades.

~Leone.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

JC did make some good points. I have 102 cool 6's and they are semi-worthless it seems. I do not notice a difference at all. I'm sure they have but it all happens so fast.

I was looking for Cool Shot 6 by 6 and finally figured out there is not one. So Cool Boost I guess would be the way to go. But I do not really use them except for one mech I'm practicing it with. Instead, I'm learning more and more to manage my heat better.

Plus, I really like Air Stikes etc. I think for a lot of players they are way underused. They are a few Units in FW that use them a lot, I've counted (and that just the ones I've seen) over 20 of them a number of times during an Invasion. (for me, the best time is when they are coming in the gate)

And these better Units will use 3-4 at the same time in the same spot which can really ramp up damage and throw a push into disarray.

There are many reasons to use them and I even have the Accuracy ones. About a month ago I used one on a couple of Mechs that had me and a couple of teammates pinned down. The next that was next to me must not know about them because he said, "wow, great laying down of smoke".

And by the way, that is one consumable that is missing, Smoke.

But that is one of the reasons to use Strikes. The enemy will move and or will not be able to see and that gives you a chance to move to another position, move to attack him, or retreat etc.

After testing, I prefer Air Strikes one reason being I know where they are going. Artillery drops within a circle. Air Strikes fall in a line. So I try to catch them in a pass or a gully or...a tunnel.

I think one reason some players do not use them is the "how to make the most money in MWO" guides. I look at them as an investment in winning. If we win, we easily covered that 40K. And if the whole team used them well, it would give us a better chance of a WIN.

More and more I'm kind of getting down on UAVs. One reason being they often last 13 seconds and then they are shot down. If playing a light I try to sneak up right behind them and put on up or even run through them doing it. I do not LURM anymore and even then they were only so useful since the enemy has to be within 240 meters of it. (You can shoot down a UAV wth LRMs)

I guess the best uses of one is trying to find a pain in the butt Light or find the enemy period. Sometimes things work out and your teammates can use it for LRMs for a little while (45 seconds max). There is an Improved and Advanced UAVs but they add little. Extra time for it does not matter when the other team is shooting them down quickly.

My favorite use of a UAV is when I'm being overrun. I've finally learned to just run away until help comes but I also add a UAV as I'm going back. I've found that that one will not be shot down as quickly because the enemy is looking at me. And as they come into the 240-meter area, my teammates can see them.

#9 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostSickario, on 16 January 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

But I'm thinking about only using them for emergency purposes such as if a bunch are about to close in on me through a trench, target the first or second one and hope to get a few because they'll lack the room to get away. But that's a pretty rare occurrence. BTW that brings me another question, do the strikes work in tunnels or if they have some cover above them, or do they only work outside in the open?

I'll just cut this part out, Because basically i look at consumables this way.. early game i am hesitant to use them as a roll is a roll, the only question is did it cost me 80k to get rolled. Posted Image

So early game, sometimes i will use an airstrike if they are in such a tight group i can hit 6+ mechs. UAVG's i tend to use more early game, but mainly because i have lots of free ones. It is amazing how often groups don't respond to them, either by moving towards the enemy, or setting up a fireline, or even launching LRM's

So that brings me to when i use them most.. as the match goes on, and i think that a proper airstrike can take down a damage mech or two or put them on the brink. UAV's i especially in a tight brawl with a good light pilot.. perhaps it will help bring some rain, or get someone to notice and get it down. Or the typical, they are all over the hill, lets pick a target and push and win this one.

I'll also say, UAV's are great in a brawl when you are using streaks.. especially if the opponent is dancing in the same area like ducking around a rock pillar or something. It allows you to keep lock, and if they take the time to try to hit that instead they are not shooting at you. If they rabbit because of it, then you are following, and have the advantage. they can also help you hold lock with LRM's in short ranged combat, like the 200-350 range.. pop the UAV, drop back 50m or so, and fire away.. LRM and Streak mechs should ALWAYS have them, no questions asked.

So in a nut shell, use them when you know they can help sway the match.. if you do it early you could be just wasting lots of money. Besides once you get better you can often see when a match is going to go bad anyway, so suck it up, and try to finish strong and use that consumable in the next match. Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 January 2017 - 05:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users