In Game Coaching

8 replies to this topic

#1 Cirad

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

I am a new player and I love the game but I SUCK at it and I am lucky to last more than a couple of minutes and a score of over 100 in damage points would be good for me. I am looking for a in-game coach that would ride with me and help me become a better player. It could be a strictly voluntary or we could agree on some level of compensation based on how good the coaching is.

Thanks

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

One, never buy coaching.
Two... Tell me a bit about what you've got going for you. What mechs are you using? How are you fighting? Etc.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Yeah no need to pay mate... Plenty will just help you out, the MWO community is pretty amazing.

Koniving has kicked off well, give us some info. Could simply cover a lot of it with a couple of posts.

Of course joining a unit is also another option (a very good one). While some of the as units are not the best (some are of course), they have great training regimes for new players. So a good stepping stone and that is how I got started and went from 200dmg in Faction Play games to regularly doing 2000dmg+. A huge jump.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ting-thy-enemy/

I've an assault guide that goes through some of my tactical decisions. Could help, otherwise, just friend me in game and ask.

~Leone.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Go Coach yourself!

By that i mean, when you die, ride along with pilots and see how others play, what kinda builds they have and just what they do.

You can learn tons by watching players, dying early means you get to ride longer! So look at the bright side, you can watch how a good player, plays the whole game.. People start getting kills, hop in their cockpit and see what they are doing.

good luck!

that said, there is this thing called Private match, You need to spend MC on premium time to make a private match.. See if anyone has some Premium time running, and you can buy a day pass for 250MC, or just buy longer if you play enough and like the C-bill/XP bonus it gives (+50%)

I am sure there are people on the boards that wouldn't mind dropping in game with you.. (a couple of newbies so you guys can 2v2 would be great if a couple of vets wanted to set it up. ) then you could play a slow match on voip... and then kinda ride along shouting orders as the Two Poke-mechs duke it out....

Sorry, i am finding myself to funny right now... I can see it now.. community based Poke-mech night... a vet rides along with a noobie.. helping him kill the other guy giving advice.. (vet could suicide at start of the match, and then hop in with the noobie and answere questions) being a private match, doing the sucicde would not be an issue.. and a great way to ride along.

This would also be nice as only 2 people need the premium and many vets carry it..

What do you guys think?

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 January 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

This thread I thought was pretty productive as a sort of intro/tip guide:

https://mwomercs.com...y-suck-at-this/

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

You need to put in the study time. Watch a lot of youtube videos etc.

But one of the best things to do to help yourself is to record your games. Not stream, simply record so you can watch later. Right after a match at times. Then start noticing that you left your team or allowed them to leave you at 2:31 into the match.

In other words, look at see where you went wrong. And then work on cutting those bad habits out.

Start with doing two things. First, do not be the first one of your team to die. Second, start lasting a certain amount of time. Try to survive 3 minutes.

Put in the work. One thing I did was to take a fast mech, at the time a trial mech, and run through all the maps here. It was boring but paid off.

This is free.

https://obsproject.com/

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 17 January 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#8 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Try to watch some streams or youtube videos, and pay attention to players on your team performing well. Spectate them, analyze the moves, and emulate their play.

A lot of this game is knowing what not to do and being patient.

#9 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 18 January 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

A lot of this game is knowing what not to do and being patient.

Very very very true. In so many games where I die before the end, I can tell myself afterward the exact time I made a mistake. And it is often thinking I can make a difference by myself. Or leaving the group to follow an enemy mech around this corner. Most of the time when I die early it is 100% my fault because of a bad decision I made.

It is funny but years ago when I started back playing Madden and playing online, I was looking for a "coach" who would come over and play and tell me what to do and what not to do. It never happened but I wish it had. And Madden now has live streaming built in.

In MWO when you have a spectator does that only work in private matches? I like someone to come to my house. sit next to me and show me how to run circles, lol.

Everything you need to do and everything you should not do has been written down or is in a youtube video. Look for the ones that show you how to do something rather than the ones that simply show "this mech" today. Although, I have found some great builds watching these.

I have a list of about 9 players whose videos I watch. And a couple of them made a big impact on me.

So again, record your games for free. And then if you want, upload them to Youtube and ask where you went wrong etc in the comments section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users