- - - - -

Buy 3 Variants?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Trunok

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

So, i, as a medium clan pilot (seted as that since i'm a begginer) know that a medium mech is more than viable without mastering it, and with the upcoming skill tree, i think we will not need 3 variants of the same chassis unless we want different builds, with is a little off for omnimechs since they conserve your mech bays, so, is it worth it to buy now, 3 variants of the same chassis knowing that the skill tree system is just ahead?

#2 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Highly depends on the mech.
3 different arctic cheetah for example isn't worth it since they are all identical in essence.
3 different jenner IIC is totally different since they all have different hardpoints.

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think that choice is based on whether or not you like the mech. If your resources are limited and you want to try more kinds of mechs, I would suggest waiting. However, if you really like a certain chassis, go for the extra variant. Either way, its likely just 1 month before the new skill tree hits so you won't reap the benefits of leveling all 3 mechs for enough time to be worth it and you would be better off gaining experience by piloting a variety of clan mediums to expand your skill base.

#4 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Depends on personal preference and if you want to run multiple builds that don't do the same thing. For example, I own the AL, A, and YLW Centurion because I enjoy the different builds I run on each (Which really just differ in RA weapon, they all mount the standard CT Medium Lasers).

On the other hand I own every model of Huntsman (Except for one that I sold for some reason) because I love the way the chassis looks.

Edited by Catten Hart, 16 January 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostTrunok, on 16 January 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

So, i, as a medium clan pilot (seted as that since i'm a begginer) know that a medium mech is more than viable without mastering it, and with the upcoming skill tree, i think we will not need 3 variants of the same chassis unless we want different builds, with is a little off for omnimechs since they conserve your mech bays, so, is it worth it to buy now, 3 variants of the same chassis knowing that the skill tree system is just ahead?

The official announcement on the new Skill Tree system is that it will be in PTS and tested in early Feb, and the official new Skill Trees being released in the Feb patch. However, this is presuming that nothing is found to be wrong and in need to correction from the testing, so it may still be delayed in release.

So, the question becomes, can you deal with running a mech with less than full skills for that long, or longer?

We are talking about a month, if not even more than that. If your answer is yes, than don't buy the 3 mechs currently required for skill leveling. If your answer is no, then continue to play the game as it is currently implemented and buy the additional mechs required.

Under the current system, I like trying to come up with three different loadouts for mechs. I know Clan Omnimechs can "all be the same", but I like the challenge of coming up with different builds for them all. This way, I have a reason to hold onto the other mechs, instead of just selling them when I am done leveling. I can't say if I'll continue this trend with the new skill tree system, but for the moment it's what I do.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostCatten Hart, on 16 January 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

On the other hand I own every model of Huntsman (Except for one that I sold for some reason) because I love the way the chassis looks.

The Huntsmen is a really nice looking mech. I wished I had bought the reinforcement pack on that one... But I love the hero mech I did snag. Was the first Hero mech I've purchased in the game, and I have no regrets on that!

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

if you want to get the Mechs to there best then yes, sure if you want the elite bonuses buy 3, but do not just save up the 20-50 million you will need to buy and outfit them, buy 1, outfit it, play it, then when you complete basics buy the next

and do this with the full knowledge that the 3 Mechs to elite rule will probably be removed in a month when the new skill trees arrive

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Well, I'll believe things when I see them. I spent a month doing the last PTS and not that much came from it.

A couple of things. The Huntsman rocks! If I had to choose to only have or build 3-4 mechs, it would be on that list. It has the best hit boxes including arms are useful and the selection of weapons is wonderful. If even looks great!

I had high hopes for the Stormcrow and Hellbringer Heros and they brought almost nothing to the Mech.

I personally feel like working through the skill tree makes a huge difference. I bought a Night Gyr (breaking my rule on buying a mech bay) and I was very down on it. It was slow and moved slower and seemed to have a "shoot me in the back" sign on it. But by the time I hit the speed tweak, it was starting to rock and when I mastered it recently, I went from the hunted to the hunter. Now I'm finishing the other two.

I sort of understand a real life reasoning on doing pilot trees. You get better the more hours you spend piloting it.

I've made so many mistakes (my first mech was a Panther and I was Clan...lol) that I'm holding on to mine to see what happens. And I'm not sure how the "returned" XP will be used and will that include GXP. I do not know how IS mechs will be nor how Clan ones will be.

I think the IS ones will be outfitted to use certain weapons which will or can be different per variant, but I'm not sure about the Clan Mechs.

Is the OP's Clan Medium a Nova? I got the Hero and a few of those. I'm just putting the whole thing out of my mind until I'm handed the new rules.

#9 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 January 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

I had high hopes for the Stormcrow and Hellbringer Heros and they brought almost nothing to the Mech.

just asking for clarification , there is a Hellbringer Hero ? or did you mean the loyalty Hellbringer

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 16 January 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

just asking for clarification , there is a Hellbringer Hero ? or did you mean the loyalty Hellbringer

O my bad, I meant the Loyalty one. In fact, that gives me hope that a good Hellbringer Hero will come out.

Two that are difference makers are the Kit Fox and Summoner Heros.

For about a week or so other lights were still attacking me in my Kit Fox until they found out that the new Kit Fox is no lower prey, it is now a killer. The 4 energy hardpoints in the torso made a huge difference in it's possible firepower and as important, the ability to peek over, shoot and jump back.

I got both of the Loyalty Summoners but was not impressed until I got the Hero (I hate buying mech bays). And like others, I'm using the twin ER PPC build.

I've had a hard time making anything else out of it. I tried LRMing with it and it is meh...

#11 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

okay . yeah I looked a while back, well about a month ago, if a Hero Hellbringer existed, but I couldn't fine one.
if there is one, I didn't look hard enough Posted Image

you just got me excited when mentioning the Hellbrnger hero, thought maybe there was one in PTS, I certainly would love to have a Hero Hellbringer

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 16 January 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

okay . yeah I looked a while back, well about a month ago, if a Hero Hellbringer existed, but I couldn't fine one. if there is one, I didn't look hard enough Posted Image you just got me excited when mentioning the Hellbrnger hero, thought maybe there was one in PTS, I certainly would love to have a Hero Hellbringer

YES!

#13 Chuckleberry Finn

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

*Bump*

So I'm assuming now that there is no more pilot lab, that there is no need to buy all the variants for a mech? Meaning I can fill my slots with different mechs (1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy, 1 assault) and use the new skill tree to improve those individuals mechs?

#14 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostChuckleberry Finn, on 11 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

*Bump*

So I'm assuming now that there is no more pilot lab, that there is no need to buy all the variants for a mech? Meaning I can fill my slots with different mechs (1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy, 1 assault) and use the new skill tree to improve those individuals mechs?

Correct.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#15 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostChuckleberry Finn, on 11 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

*Bump*

you assume correctly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users