5 replies to this topic

#1 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

so i got a brand new computer with win 10 preinstalled. ive turned it on and realised that i didnt get a internet chip thing so i have no wifi. I was told i could run internet through my old laptop and connect the two using a ethernet cable which i have done. (my modem will not allow use of ethernet cables, they just wont work wifi only)

the issue is that my new computer lists my network as 'unidentified network' and wont join the homegroup because it continuously times out (it also flip flops between public and private) i then looked up what to do and it said to look at command prompt for IP stuff. It wont let me renew my IP address and also says i have no default gateway. i was also told that i could connect my new comp to a range extender using ethernet and get internet that way (one of my housemates did anyway but he cant be ****** to show me)

Ive spent 2 days so far try to do something but i dont really know **** about computers.

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Hi need some info to help you

What is the Brand and model of modem that you use. Check the modem it should be printed somewhere.

What type of internet connection do you have to your ISP - ADSL, fibre optic, cable or other.

Sounds like you previously you used Wifi to connect to the internet and your new PC has no Wifi.

In this case you could purchase a USB Wifi card for your new PC. They are cheap and will allow you to connect your new PC with Wifi. Thou you may need someone to set it up for you.

#3 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

yeah im getting a wifi card (PCIe?) i was hoping to get the computer connected somehow before then it'll be 2 weeks before i can afford one. and yes i have a laptop i use for MWO and other games it just needs replacing (8 years old). as for connection type i dont know i guess adsl, lots of stuff happening to the infrastructure in Melbourne, government is trying 3 types of upgrade ( fibre to door, fibre to node and high speed copper) so not sure. The modem is a Belkin buts its in one of my housemates rooms so i cant look at it until they are awake. Every other device in the house can use internet and connect to the extender or modem but the new computer.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like a wifi card will allow you to connect.
Just want to add some thing for you to consider.

If you get a PCIe Wifi card you may not be able to move it much to get a better signal, without moving the PC.
Unless your Wifi Card has an extension cable for the antenna.

With a USB Wifi card, you can move it around to get a better signal simply by using a usb cable.

However I assume dat you had a good Wifi signal with your laptop so either option should be good.

#5 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

cheers ended up getting a pcie card, works well. im so glad i finally got a new computer, the laptop was 8 years old i was only getting 15 fps the whole time ive played, just had a game on my new comp and got 70 fps the whole time! im stunned at the difference and it seems im playing better too.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Enjoi
Woo
Hoo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users