How Do You Srm?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

I mean firing mode, I have a TBR-S with 4x SRM6+Art, 4x C-Med L and I use burst on all 4 of the 6x at the same time. Someone was saying chain fire was really good for them but I find you can't get out anywhere near the same damage?.

#2 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Step 1: Get lots of them. 4s are best if you can't fit Artemis.
Step 2: Get some MLs or MPLs for backup.
Step 3: Point mech in general direction of target.
Step 4:
Posted Image

AKA alpha strike all the missiles. Chaining takes too long, you're going to miss more against faster targets because you're not shotgunning them with 16-24 SRMs, and you have to constantly look at your target instead of firing and shielding.

Edited by Sidefire, 16 January 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#3 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Chainfiring SRMs is a bad idea, since the whole point of bringing SRMs is that it deals all the damage in a single big punch. Fire all four, then torso twist to spread damage while it cools down.

NEVER stare at an enemy. If I ever see a TBR chainfiring missiles at my Kit Fox, I will just facepunch it with my SPLs since I know I can out-trade his DPS while being able to target specifically his CT.

If you're going to do a brawl build of a TBR, you should bring SPL instead of ERML. CERMLs are not particularly good for your heat efficiency as they generate significant heat for relatively little damage.

TBR-D

78 damage alphas. Alpha 3 times before overheat; 4 if you use a Coolshot 9x9 + Cool Boost.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 16 January 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Chainfire them only when mech is hot. But yes you just blast them all at the same time for great effect, it reduces your face time, and deals the most damage in the less time.

#5 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

Yeah I figured, I noticed now kinda new to clan mechs that you can switch out omnipods. Was TBR-S the right variant for this build? or should I have went with D or C?. Planning on going for master with TBR just trying to figure out what one to get next lol. I love the effects of SRM's so I try to go these burst builds. It's really unfortunate that a lot of people don't like brawling. I find it more in casual maps everyone tries to find a good poke spot. Then just hides and pokes with ppc's or ERLL's. When you're going for this kind of close range brawling build how do you compensate for your team not following up on engages? Should I just hide and defend the LRM boats? or should I be trying to push front line engages?. The lack of structure in quick match is hard to deal with.

#6 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

There is no one correct answer for your question regarding whether to hard engage or to sit back and wait. In general, it comes down to the volume of long range fire that your team is laying down relative to the enemy team (on target, of course - no point flinging dozens of PPC bolts if they don't connect). If your team is landing more than they are, then it's safer to sit back and wait for the skirmishing phase to complete. Once there is a sufficient advantage in terms of numbers or armour damaged - you can see this when one team becomes even more cowardly than the other - then you may assume that it is safe to commit to a hard push.

Remember that while you have massive burst and DPS, the best thing to do with it is to make sure you can drop a mech with every alpha. Let the skirmishers strip away as much armour as they can.

The next thing to remember about brawling is that terrain is everything. Full cover (tall buildings and rocks) are superior ambush positions, as well as good protection vs ranged fire unless flanked. Do not run into the open where possible, but use cover as a way to get from point to point. This is where scouting lights come in handy. Knowing where the body of the enemy team is, you can look at the map and think about which positions are safe from enemy fire, and thus be able to move around without much risk to yourself. A TBR is not a particularly slow mech; you can reposition quite well.

I would suggest reading up on the Tactics 101 comics in Guides and Strategies, if you have not done so yet. It's quite a valuable resource that I believe should be mandatory reading for all mechwarriors.

TBR-S has 1 fixed JJ in the CT that some people really love for some reason. I guess it does help with mobility, but only so much.
TBR-D and TBR-C have 1E hardpoint in the CT, letting you hit that little bit harder. For all intents and purposes, these two are identical.

#7 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

6x SPL + 4 SRM6A (600) + 4x DHS

Is so far the best i could put it. You need that 1E CT if you would ever want to maximize SPL.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 January 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#8 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yeah when I was looking at quirks I got the S mainly because it seemed to be a bit more mobile which I figured might help in close range. Being able to turn as fast as a light is running when you're being circled. But I think D comes with missile velocity or something. Figured that might also be worth it but idk. Best game I've had so far was like 5 kills and 1000+ dmg so I don't think I'm doing too bad. I just find it hard to push for closer engages when everyone else is hiding. It sucks you can't get an ECM or AMS on it. LRM's are a pain to deal with, radar dep helps a bit.

#9 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

You should run it in group queue/FW if you have problems in solo. But you seem to be doing great, so carry on!

#10 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Also to be noted I think I switched out some omnipods so I don't even think I get the quirk bonus anymore for 8/8.
http://imgur.com/a/QyFrT

#11 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Another random question, is Clan Active Probe worth losing 100 ammo on SRM6's? Does it stack with TC? or should I replace TC1 with it?.

#12 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

CAP does not affect normal SRMs. Not necessary for non-Streak SRM builds.

TC1 affects laser range, but as far as I know only affects ballistic/PPC velocity and not missiles. Might be worth it if you are running SPLs on a TBR.

#13 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Might switch to CSPL's but this seems to not be toooo bad. - http://plays.tv/vide.../only-850-dmg-c A game I had earlier today.

#14 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

View PostSepsu, on 16 January 2017 - 09:46 PM, said:

Might switch to CSPL's but this seems to not be toooo bad. - http://plays.tv/vide.../only-850-dmg-c A game I had earlier today.

Well, in this match you likely haven't run into heat issues as your targets seem very spread out. This gives you sufficient time to cool down so that you start each fight with zero heat, and thus makes the ERMLs look like a good option for brawling.

But when hard pushes are needed, you'll find that SPLs give you that edge you need over hotter, less heat efficient builds. Sometimes there's no way to safely retreat without getting killed, and therefore your only option is to go for as much damage as you can and intimidate the other player into backing off because they hit their heatcap first. SPLs help in this regard because they're second only to ballistics and SRM6s for heat efficiency.

#15 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

I figured medium's weren't a bad option for when you have no backup to push in you at least have like 500m poke range. This team wasn't bad they actually listened when I told them to push in. But maps like Frozen City half the team just stays back on one side of the city, and the other stays across the valley. So you can kind of sneak in a bit and harass with mediums. Smalls I find you basically need to commit to a push to keep the distance close enough to efficiently smash them repeatedly. I would probably take smalls in FW where it's actually structured, but quick play games you can't really count on your team to do much half the time.

#16 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

View PostSepsu, on 16 January 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Yeah I figured, I noticed now kinda new to clan mechs that you can switch out omnipods. Was TBR-S the right variant for this build? or should I have went with D or C?. Planning on going for master with TBR just trying to figure out what one to get next lol. I love the effects of SRM's so I try to go these burst builds. It's really unfortunate that a lot of people don't like brawling. I find it more in casual maps everyone tries to find a good poke spot. Then just hides and pokes with ppc's or ERLL's. When you're going for this kind of close range brawling build how do you compensate for your team not following up on engages? Should I just hide and defend the LRM boats? or should I be trying to push front line engages?. The lack of structure in quick match is hard to deal with.

Most games end in a brawl, so if your patient and save some Armour for the end you will get your chance

#17 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

Yeah I'll try CSPL's and see how it goes, would be nice to have the extra armor back I had to make room for with the mediums.

#18 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Please do not run 30 rear armour on a heavy mech.

That's thrice as much as a I run on everything short of my BNC/DWF.

#19 Sepsu

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

Does the armor per type actually make a difference? like does a "Heavy"'s armor count as more armor/armor than a light/medium? I find myself still getting blasted in the back when trying to weave in and out of buildings for cover to the point I have to stop exposing it and face tank things. I could see running less on a light or medium, seeing as they are basically 2-3x as mobile and can get in and out without taking very many hits.

#20 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

With 4 buttons..
1 is alpha,
2 is chain fire
3 being left
4 being 4

1 user(s) are reading this topic