5 replies to this topic

#1 4lex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

I've been told that machine gun are hit scan and that i should not lead my target. But smurfy tells me mg have speed 100. So do i lead or not?

Also, any tips on using MG paired with SPL on a light like PB or Anansi? Cause, if im dancing in circle dueling a jenner. I tend to hold both triggers down so if lead for the MG bullets to hit the target, the SPL miss, shooting in front of the target, and if i aim a torso the MG miss behind

#2 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:14 AM

MGs are hitscan. Animation is just so they look nice, while in practice they register damage just like lasers or flamers. Do not lead. That 100 is probably rounds per second or something. The speed of a projectile in MWO is always named "VELOCITY" (not without a reason Posted Image ).

Just remember that MGs are mainly used to destroy cored components (those without armor). If you play an MG-focused mech, try to search for and focus those mechs that already lost armor on important components (due to high crit chance MGs do much more damage to structure, their damage to armor is rather low).

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 17 January 2017 - 04:16 AM.

#3 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

As far as I know, there is no need to lead. They are hit scan weapons and the the 100m/s is the graphical effects speed... So you see the slow bulltes fly, but they have already their dmg done like laser does.

#4 4lex

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:44 AM

Thanks alot for the clarification! Im gonna give another try at MG i was thinking they where completely useless. Finding 2 tons on a locust frame is hard ... il go read the pirate's bane threads.

#5 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

View Post4lex, on 17 January 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

Thanks alot for the clarification! Im gonna give another try at MG i was thinking they where completely useless. Finding 2 tons on a locust frame is hard ... il go read the pirate's bane threads.

Try to stack 4 of them on whatever mech you intend to use. Anything less and they are kinda useless.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

If you want MGs and SPLs best bets are the FS9-E enber Firestarter hero Mech, which unfortunately costs real money or the Viper, which one of the varients has 2 B hardpoints in eact torso.
I think the Arctic Cheetah can also do that combo.

If using SPL and MG you need to be fast and need at minimum 3 of each, preferably 4-6.

The Shadow Cat can take 6 MGs with 2 lasers, and that works pretty well with the Shadow Cats MASC enhanced speed and agility

Other Mechs great for MGs include the SDR-5K, which has 4 B haedpoints but only 1 E, which is in the CT so is best used for ERLL or LPL.
One Locust, I am pretty sure it is the 1V has 4 B hardpoints, again with a single E hardpoint byt the Locust does not have the tonnage to mount MGs with a large class laser so if taking MGs you are stuck with a small or med class laser
The Arrow, Blackjack hero Mech is a bit slow for an MG boat but can mount 6 MGS and a few lasers.

I am hoping PGIs Ckan Light announcement due before the end of January is the Piranah, a Clan fast Light able to mount 12 MGs with lasers for backup weapons. That sounds like my dream ride for MWO, and would likely incite crise of "MGs OP Please nerf" when Mechs start dropping in 1-3 seconds from a 20 ton Mech getting behind them worth 8.4 heatless DPS against armor (and many times that against structure) from the MGs + enough laser to shread the rear armor on the vast majority of common Mech builds in 1 shot, a 100 tonner may last 3-4 seconds but it would literally mean 3 seconds of inattention and you could be dead for the assaults ( the same as lights have always had)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users