Help With Grouping Please

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

I've been playing about a month now and I think I'm getting good enough to try something other than quick play. What I don't know is if group play is something I should try or should I give FW another spin.

I play medium mechs, primarily Enforcer, Phoenix Hawk, and Shadow Hawk. I'm ok with the Grasshopper but I've found most heavies are just too slow to let me roam around as needed. I'm up to about 400 dmg per game on average and my K/D is 1.3-1.5 in my chosen mechs.

I did a search about grouping but didn't find anything that talked about what to expect and how to prepare for grouping. Are mediums too little tonnage? Do I need to be in a unit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

#2 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

Well, you remind me of myself. I'm also a medium player, first shawks and now BJ's. And i also got a 1.5 k/d. But if you go into CW solo, i can assure you, your stats mean nothing. I got absolutely torn to pieces solo queuing for CW evrytime. I don't know what tier you currently are, wich may influence your preformance. I'd advise you to find a unit regarding my experience of playing solo.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 17 January 2017 - 11:29 AM.

#3 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 17 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Well, you remind me of myself. I'm also a medium player, first shawks and now BJ's. And i also got a 1.5 k/d. But if you go into CW solo, i can assure you, your stats mean nothing. I got absolutely torn to pieces solo queuing for CW evrytime. I don't know what tier you currently are, wich may influence your preformance. I'd advise you to find a unit regarding my experience of playing solo.

Tier 4, getting close to breaking into tier 3.

#4 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostRuar, on 17 January 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Tier 4, getting close to breaking into tier 3.

I'd try to find a unit then. More often then not you will be facing group(s) of players with voice chat and coordination wich will make CW a living hell for a bunch of randoms. Also, CW is not divided into tiers ( i think... ) so you could be facing people alot better then you (and me, since we're practicly the same tier).

#5 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Group play is the same as quickplay, so you are ready to go. You just need to find some players to drop with.

The thing to expect is better opponents and overall coordination from the enemy team.

Being in a unit will give you people to play with but you can also use the public teamspeak servers and try to make a pick up group from randoms. I don't have the address right in from of me but the comstar TS is usually a safe bet.

Edited by Roughneck45, 17 January 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#6 Ebins

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 95 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

As the above posted mentioned, group play is a lot more competitive. The players cooperate better, and most have a pretty solid drop deck. Looking for a unit is the best bet to go at this juncture. You could grab a couple friends before that and try it out to see what you think. The matches also last a lot longer, but the payout is larger (win or lose). As far as finding a unit, don't worry too much about what tier you are in now or your current skill level. Most units are eager to recruit new players and train them up because of the loyalty factor. They figure (and rightly so) that those they invest time into usually stick around to become productive members.

I'd mention my unit, but by your mech selection, it's obvious that you're a filthy freebirth and should be stomped underfoot by true warriors Posted Image

In all seriousness, I wish you the best of luck in your new venture and hope you find a group of friends you can have lots of fun with! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users