1 reply to this topic

#1 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

With incursion being made into its own game mode, i think we need to accept that assault is staying, however, it still requires SOME changes to be fun again.

I propose that we make the following changes to assault in an effort to spice it up.

1. Give players the ability to 'recapture' their base. If the bar runs all the way down, do not call the game for the capping team.

2. Remove the cap to instawin, timer counts down until it is mathematically clear that one team will win the way conquest does with resources, you might kill everyone, but if you cant outcap it doesnt matter.

3. Restrict win conditions to team with more of the enemy base capped wins at the end of the timer, or upon the others teams total demise (see point 2 about emulating conquest's win conditions).

The above changes are proposed for 2 reasons, and there is 1 'flaw' ive left in intentionally.
First, players now have a reason to keep gaurds on theyre base, due to the hightened importance of the caps on winning, and the removal of the most kills win mechanic.
Second, this gives people doing badly in fw, which has respawns, a chance to fight back, and hope for round 2 if they get pushed behind their base on a bad first wave.

Now as for the intentional flaw, it is highly concievable that a good sized chunk of these games would end in a draw if both teams just tradesides via nascar, and fully cap both bases. This would normally be a very bad flaw, except for 2 concepts. 1, it encourages people to both gaurd, and leave theyre base, and 2 teams race camping each others spawns now have an after-the-cap time period to plan and work around. The 2nd point is that itll help to slow the progress of the cap bar when it gets to the assault stage, which is important because right after assault is invasion and the planet controling point on the slider. Slowing these adds an additional level of difficulty to the planet taking process, which is beneficial for all factions, because it stops galaxy wide roflstomping across the map of the IS like clan jf did in 3.0. While maybe only 3% of games in the new assault might end as draws (maybe more, maybe less, you never know until you test) that might still be enough of a speed bump to save some planets. Now obviously we dont want 20% of the games to end in ties, as that would be more of an impassable wall on the fw slider, but if its a smallish number, then ya, add it to help slow the planet taking process, which is good because i dont want the clans at the periphery side of the cappelan confederation before april. As things stand.... its hard to say. And if one day the odds flip and IS is the one roflstomping the galaxy, then itll help the clans out too, so it goes both ways on helping the losing factions for that particular days tug of war.

These are my ideas, what do you all think?

Edited by naterist, 17 January 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#2 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:07 AM

I like it.
I think that is quite a good idea.
In effect if will be a bit like capture the flag without having to bring the flag back and I believe that would be a quick and simple change to implement.

I can see this style of battle being much more effective and enjoyable in Faction Play thanks to the drop decks.

Quick Play would be a bit more 1 or nothing and has a greater potential for one side to eliminate the other before taking the base so it may not feel too different there.

There is a small issue in that the side that re-captures their bases opens it up for capture again allowing the enemy to potentially move ahead further in the points, where as the side that doesn't could keep their opponent to 1 cap. I feel there needs to be an incentive not only to capture your enemy's base, but a solid reason why you would recapture your own. Something that would encourage the objective in both Quick Play and Faction Play. Denial of an in game function of some sort? The mini-map perhaps? The battlegrid? Both? Something else?

What ever it is, it needs to be significant enough in Quick Play to make it worth taking sooner rather than later and that should translate to a more significant effect in Faction Play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users