When We Get The Fafnir....

33 replies to this topic

#1 SlyJJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Somethings telling me that with the introduction of new tech in the summer, particularly the heavy gauss rifles, we're simply due for a Fafnir release for IS... and if its not on your agenda, dear god please relay it to the design team. I'll buy the whole ultimate pack and reinforcements and everything!

BUT why this thread? In MW4 the faffy does have some particularly small arms and I'd be concerned that it'd just be another king crab in disguise that's forever doomed to quickplay for reasons of boredom. That said, it'd be terribly nice if you made the Fafnir with a little more size in its arms for proper protection when torso twisting. Hopefully it can be what the king crab was intended to be.

As far as stock builds go too, its hard to beat the Fafnir as well. And with no charge an instant click of 50 dmg could be something to stand up to Kodiaks.

#2 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

the fafnir will never happen as the planet load of salt it would induce would be devastating......literally, the forums would drown. still we can dream.

that being said i think the mw4 version is practically perfect. the TT version....oh deer god its hideous!!! its the stuff nightmares are made of.

#3 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

The Fafnir's real purpose is to act as the carrier for HGR (Heavy Gauss Rifles) introduction since it was THE "HGR 'Mech".

They (original the variants) actually don't have really stellar hardpoints if you check it out but all have high mounts and some (even the original) are equipped with ECM!

So all in all, a pretty decent 'Mech barring hardpoints inflation. Remember that Dual HGR in both ST make 'Mechs run slow because of the compulsory STD engine.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 17 January 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#4 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostArmorine, on 17 January 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

the fafnir will never happen as the planet load of salt it would induce would be devastating......literally, the forums would drown. still we can dream.

that being said i think the mw4 version is practically perfect. the TT version....oh deer god its hideous!!! its the stuff nightmares are made of.

Heard the same argument over the Kodiak (although it was never about the KDK-3 till it showed up) same will be for the Fafnir. It being "To good" is not a reason to keep it out of MWO... Expect it to be restricted in its torso turn ect. Also its hit boxes might be pretty bad...like DWF bad...

#5 SlyJJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 17 January 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

The Fafnir's real purpose is to act as the carrier for HGR (Heavy Gauss Rifles) introduction since it was THE "HGR 'Mech".

They (original the variants) actually don't have really stellar hardpoints if you check it out but all have high mounts and some (even the original) are equipped with ECM!

So all in all, a pretty decent 'Mech barring hardpoints inflation. Remember that Dual HGR in both ST make 'Mechs run slow because of the compulsory STD engine.

Well, it'll still do 54kph. That's the minimum standard for any IS mech. You've got it nailed with the ECM though- I think that's one of the things that makes the atlas so devastating. I'm not denying its quirks, but the fact that its much more unlikely to pop up on your radar means its more likely to go unnoticed... until its too late.

A Faffy with ecm that peaks out and drops ~65 alpha with 50 of it pinpoint? That's sexy as hell.....

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

HGRs will never be meta, we have so many better weapons currently.

#7 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

if i shipped PGI a 3d printed fafnir...would that be considered a bribe? more importantly would it sway them....

yall have me convinced this might actually happen. and it would be hilarious and awesome

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostSlyJJ, on 17 January 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

A Faffy with ecm that peaks out and drops ~65 alpha with 50 of it pinpoint? That's sexy as hell.....

Let's hope that PGI will allow us to fire 2 at the same time.

We need to remind them about this IF they announce the weapon or the 'Mech in the future.

View PostSpheroid, on 17 January 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Yup, if PGI follow the TT HGR's stats (and even worse, function *gasp*) to the letter!

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 17 January 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Let's hope that PGI will allow us to fire 2 at the same time.

We need to remind them about this IF they announce the weapon or the 'Mech in the future.

Yup, if PGI follow the TT HGR's stats (and even worse, function *gasp*) to the letter!

Don't you also have to be slowed or completely stopped to fire a HGR?

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 17 January 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Don't you also have to be slowed or completely stopped to fire a HGR?

A little bit of flavor like that your 'Mech is slowed down a little (say, 5-10%) when charging the guns couldn't hurt but PGI shouldn't copy how the weapon behaves directly from the TRO because it would make the weapon hillariously bad.

#11 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

HGR will have a charge-up mechanic like the current Gauss, PGI would make sure due to balancing issues.

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 January 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

So they shouldn't add anything that's not better then anything currently? Sounds dull.

#13 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostCK16, on 17 January 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

So they shouldn't add anything that's not better then anything currently? Sounds dull.

The aim should be that all (weapons) are "meta", or in other words, perfect balance (no "meta" because all are "meta").

#14 SlyJJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 17 January 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

HGR will have a charge-up mechanic like the current Gauss, PGI would make sure due to balancing issues.

I don't think it will due to its short range (270) even though it'll reach triple at the expense of power.

If its 270 for optimal range, there ought not be a charge. If you give it over 500m then I'd say charge is in order.

My opinion...

#15 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Not meta? Perfect, you can also super quirk it to be comparable to clan :3

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

We have huge alpha SRM builds under 300 meters and fairly lethal gauss/ERPPC combos at range so I am perplexed where people are planning on deploying the HGR. Plus short range ballistics generally have bad muzzle velocity, but I can see them doing something bizarre like keeping high speed but with steep damage drop off.

Still it is a extremely heavy weapon. Also it would explode.

#17 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostSlyJJ, on 17 January 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I don't think it will due to its short range (270) even though it'll reach triple at the expense of power.

If its 270 for optimal range, there ought not be a charge. If you give it over 500m then I'd say charge is in order.

My opinion...

I could see them giving it a .25 charge time or something, to keep in flavor of gauss charge mechanics. We'll have to see when/if they implement it

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 17 January 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

We have huge alpha SRM builds under 300 meters and fairly lethal gauss/ERPPC combos at range so I am perplexed where people are planning on deploying the HGR. Plus short range ballistics generally have bad muzzle velocity, but I can see them doing something bizarre like keeping high speed but with steep damage drop off.

Still it is a extremely heavy weapon. Also it would explode.

They (HGRs) should be short to medium range weapon, like the TRO shows and that Ballistic weapons generally follow bigger -> shorter ranged (the inverse of lasers).

New thing HGRs should bring to the table is the ability to deliver pinpoint, devastating, almost instantenous, short to short-medium ranged damage. This ability is balanced by HGRs' bulk, weight, charge up, and the tendency to explode.

#19 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

2 HGR's = 50 pinpoint damage?

I wonder if that's enough to one shot a light mech on the CT.

If it is -- won't that be popular!

Posted Image

#20 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Every time someone mentions loading Gauss rifles on mechs with isXL engines, especially HGR's, all I can think of is it being the equivalent of replacing the seats in the Hindenburg with tanks of nitroglycerin. The odds of it working out favoribly are... Slim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users