Jenner Iic Silliness

15 replies to this topic

#1 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I bought a Jenner IIC.

Wait, come back.

So I accumulated enough losses to finally afford to make that 285 Engine into an XL version, giving me a bit more tonnage. I decided to put 5 Streak SRM 4s on this this, along with 2 tons of ammo and a Beagle Active Probe, so that when I encounter ECM equipped mechs I'm not helpless...

Thoughts?

#2 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:55 PM

2 tons of ammo? streaks?

naw.

#3 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostWarglbargl, on 18 January 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

2 tons of ammo? streaks?

naw.

Thanks for the useful post.

#4 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

Don't streak it. The trial-mech is literally the best setup for the Jenner.

You could probably use: 6x LRM5 (1080), it would be hilarious too, though not recommended. You could chain-fire it with all 6, or fire it three at groups of two, like 3 left click and 3 right click.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 19 January 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

Don't streak it. The trial-mech is literally the best setup for the Jenner.

You could probably use: 6x LRM5 (1080), it would be hilarious too, though not recommended. You could chain-fire it with all 6, or fire it three at groups of two, like 3 left click and 3 right click.

I disagree that it's the best, but it's good and new player friendly.

OP: streaks are garbage weapons, only useful against lights and they don't help you improve at the game at all. Go SRMs and you'll L2P.

#6 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

Spot on Terciel.

SRM 4's or 6's are harder to master but very rewarding when you get behind a larger mech.

That engine is a good speed and will get you in good positions and out of bad ones.

It is a great little mech.

Edited by Peter Wolf 359, 19 January 2017 - 05:34 AM.

#7 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostTercieI, on 19 January 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

OP: streaks are garbage weapons, only useful against lights and they don't help you improve at the game at all. Go SRMs and you'll L2P.

Can I ask why they are garbage? What's so bad about them compared to regular SRMs?

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostPuppy Monkey Baby, on 19 January 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Can I ask why they are garbage? What's so bad about them compared to regular SRMs?

I wouldn't say that they are, i found good use with them in my Shadow Cat. But their niche is lights because of being aim-intensive -- and Streaks do away with aiming via homing missiles, while you could blast larger foes with SRMs with the ability to target components exclusively so long as you could whereas you cannot do so with Streaks.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 19 January 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

They scatter damage and cycle very slowly. Basically, they're only scary to light mechs and even then only when boated. Against anything over about 40 tons, they just splash damage all over pretty pointlessly. Even big damage numbers don't equal destroyed components and dead enemies. They are used by good players only in very light competitive drops. They're one of the worst weapon systems in basically any other situation.

#10 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

6 Asrm 4s, grab the cool down module for them, 5 1/2 tons of ammo, near max armor and a clan xl 315. The only build that ive strapped to this thing that just stuck, its heat management is 1.39 so its coolish running but fire them in 2 groups 3 and it works just fine, but it can alpha pretty often, that and 145.6 kph is soo nice, just cruisin around...splat :)

Edit: Fixed heat management number (stated 1.19, actaully 1.39)

Edited by Stf Sgt Marblez, 25 January 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#11 Tilakkam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

In CW i used a 2 large+ 2x5 lrm (5 ammo tons)+cap with 200xl - and this perversity was nice.

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:51 AM

The 285 engine will do you good, it's not a bad size.

But don't take streaks. They're only effective against light mechs, they're extraordinarily inefficient against everything else. This is because they lock on to random components of a mech - you can't aim them specifically, they just splash damage all over the place. Basically, they do the aiming for you for free, so you won't improve much as a player as long as you are using them. Plus, they're not very tonnage efficient, so they're not a good choice for equipping onto a light mech.

#13 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Biggest engine xl will let you run with locust but you'll be much bigger (part of my problem is forgetting I'm a,lot larger)

You can run 4 srm6's

We are talking about the oxide 2c? Correct

Loose the bap

#14 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

They're not optimal on a light striker like the Jenner. You have to hold and lock, taking more time that you could otherwise use to get out of dodge. You also don't have the pinpoint accuracy - and the big benefit of a light mech is putting yourself on the tail of a mech and slamming pinpoint damage into rear armor, or striking weakened components as you strafe past. With streaks you will toss that damage all over the place. 2 tons of ammunition is also not enough - Streakboats crank out massage damage because they have enough ammo and staying power to rip armor off the entirety of other mechs, but for a light you won't ever have that damage cap and you won't be getting the striker kills you could.

#15 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

As others have pointed out, 6SRM4 is the way to go. I've tried the 4SRM6, but much prefer to run the 4s. The cycle time is lower, the heat management seems better (I fire 3&3), and there's less call for Artemis (the spread on the 6s is pretty ugly without it).

I'm running something pretty close to this. Perhaps exactly, but I don't have the game in front of me ATM.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostNerd Incognito, on 31 January 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

(I fire 3&3),

I run 4&4 overlapping because the CT/arm spread is decent (compared to using both arms...I noticed early on I got more lethal after losing an arm...) and sometimes you only have time for one shot, so I like to get the most out of it. I have a third group for just arms, but it doesn't get used much. I avoid positioning for up/down shots because the scatter is so bad when you're using both arms.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users