So What Happened To Energy Draw?

51 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

Hello

Now couple of months ago the forums were in almost a hyper drive mode discussing about the energy draw. if it will work, its lame, will game break more, Ghost heat 2.0. With many old players arguing very heavily for and against the whole concept. Then mechcon came up and the discussions shifted to that.

So i am wondering what has happened to energy draw? Is it still being made by the devs or scratched or just put on the back seat?

i could not find about it in the jan,feb roadmap which goes to summers..

(in case its been scratched or left on the back seat can anyone share why it has happened)

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

probably shelfed as more interesting items such as new tech, new marketing, new game modes and IK mech rendering has entered the roadmap. more than likely energy draw will be a side thing these Following months.

#3 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

Russ said it was going to be put on hold until they can think about it more in 2017. Tweet of his is floating around here somewhere. I made a big post celebrating its death and everything.

#4 PAQUERA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

"In that post we'll cover some of the most frequently asked questions about the Skill Tree, and pave the way for the release of the PTS in February."

#5 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I actually thought everyones dropped this off the radar not to remind them !

They can't seriously be considering this? It was a fail, and should be terminated.

What's more damaging, doing lots of 30 damage hits all game or a high damage alpha but restricting the recharge time?

I think there's an opportunity to balance the weapon stacking so ED isn't even needed. ED was just awful to keep an eye on. I find it hard enough keeping an eye on my heat/damage to see if overide is ok to use.

#6 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

If I remember Russ's wording correctly, it was shelved indefinitely with the possibility that they'll revisit it later in 2017 after the release of the new "feature" (which is supposedly the upcoming Skill Tree).

#7 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

well, players love their big alpha's, their Wub warhammers, and grasshoppers to damn much. Literally had players admitting that ED shouldn't be here because it would ruin high alpha's.

Players like Restos up there, are not interested in actually solving the problem, and the solutions they propose if they do unless they are blatantly against change because they are not good enough to adapt, did a bang up job straw manning ED.

View PostThe Unstoppable Puggernaut, on 17 January 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

What's more damaging, doing lots of 30 damage hits all game or a high damage alpha but restricting the recharge time?

My point exactly, Nowhere was that stated that ED cap damage at 30. ED kept getting strawmanned like this, and other players who didn't know better fell believed this, because people will believe things if they are just stated on these forums.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 17 January 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#8 axe64

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:56 AM

i think most people ended up not liking it and it would have just changed form alpha meta to dakka ac2 meta and i member that meta way back in open beta no one liked that either

#9 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

Taken out the back and shot, like it deserved.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:04 AM

Feedbakc was back because the implemention wa skinda broken and did not solve any of issues it should have solved (in the few given tests it even made some things worse) So they shafted it and think about it to be altered, or may drop it. it basically had to many niche possibilities who entirely break the concept making some mechs do horribly horribly evil things beyong what the regular mechancis allow today.

#11 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

basically PGI explained what was on their minds for energy draw, the community went all bananas about it (in a bad way),

and PGI basically said: "F it, we put a lot of work into trying to fix Ghost Heat, and the community hated it, we're out of ideas and the community doesn't have a solution either" which translated to company PR lingo is "after further review we have decided to postpone this feature so we can focus our efforts on other endeavors like [insert other stuff to keep players happy]"

#12 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:08 AM

View Postaxe64, on 18 January 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

i think most people ended up not liking it and it would have just changed form alpha meta to dakka ac2 meta and i member that meta way back in open beta no one liked that either

It was even worse than that. When different iterations of the ED were tested on PTS, we went from dakka meta to PPFLD meta to DHS+ERML boating meta, i.e. every time PGI tried to balance ED, they just ended up with another meta - and with no explanation as to why it was better than the previous meta. I think that's why ED got shelved. The idea might have been interesting, but in real-life testing it never provided any tangible improvements to the gameplay that would justify such a radical balance overhaul.

#13 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:21 AM

hmm okay. its just that it was so much discussed thing and then puff everyone went quite on it and i had missed the russ part of putting it on back shelve, thats why i asked about it

#14 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 17 January 2017 - 10:57 PM, said:

So i am wondering what has happened to energy draw?

That won the war. Or at least this is what someone said...

#15 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:58 AM

Since 2012, there haven't really been too many ideas from PGI that were so bad that I rejected them outright and felt like there was no way to modify or salvage them so they could make it into the game. But ED is right at the top of that list. It's fundamentally a bad idea, no matter how you dress it up.

#16 axe64

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

i do like dakka its really enjoyable though. i just wouldnt want it to be meta. not a fan of more ghost heat either maybe i would be fine with them just giving us a better chain fire option to do and make it so we just cant fire everything at once unless we override. kidna like they do with the gauss only shot 2 at a time. thats just a thought though. i might be ok with that as a compromise

#17 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 17 January 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

well, players love their big alpha's, their Wub warhammers, and grasshoppers to damn much. Literally had players admitting that ED shouldn't be here because it would ruin high alpha's. Players like Restos up there, are not interested in actually solving the problem, and the solutions they propose if they do unless they are blatantly against change because they are not good enough to adapt, did a bang up job straw manning ED. My point exactly, Nowhere was that stated that ED cap damage at 30. ED kept getting strawmanned like this, and other players who didn't know better fell believed this, because people will believe things if they are just stated on these forums.

I feel you are kind of strawmanning my message too though. I did a lot of personal testing but not in game testing.

It doesnt matter what the damage value is so consider 30 damage as a variable (unpenalised amount allowed before the rise takes place). The same way people are looking at the current (more relaxed) ghost heat system and tuning it for DPS. My angle is why not take a different perspective and the higher the damage, and make the cooldown longer per weapon type. Even if people mix weapons it'll throw them all off at different rates and screw up the extremely high alpha systems.

Also I get you are all for the ED system which makes things interesting so we finally have a different perspective.

#18 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:21 AM

Because energy draw was ***REDACTED**.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

View PostCion, on 18 January 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

basically PGI explained what was on their minds for energy draw, the community went all bananas about it (in a bad way),

and PGI basically said: "F it, we put a lot of work into trying to fix Ghost Heat, and the community hated it, we're out of ideas and the community doesn't have a solution either" which translated to company PR lingo is "after further review we have decided to postpone this feature so we can focus our efforts on other endeavors like [insert other stuff to keep players happy]"

community had a solution, we wanted 30 heatcap on test and see how it turns out, but PGI's "internal testing said it isn't going to work"

#20 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:42 AM

It was Ghost Heat in disguise but called Energy Draw because of the Gauss Rifle - end of story. In other words - give Gauss 8 heat and include it in the Ghost Heat tables and you have the same effect.

View PostLily from animove, on 18 January 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

community had a solution, we wanted 30 heatcap on test and see how it turns out, but PGI's "internal testing said it isn't going to work"

yep - with two bars you would have been able to separate dissipation and capacity - quite well

Edited by Karl Streiger, 18 January 2017 - 05:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users